It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

amp

Re: Central Square

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I also prefer the new building footprint for the building that will go next to HMRC. Looks good in that new planning doc.

Ash

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there are any plans yet for the current HMRC site in Llanishen?

Simon_SW17

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 pm

amp wrote:It be great to see St. Davids house go, that will make the area around there look so much better.

I guess as said earlier once the public realm is done around the BBC, the store fit outs can begin then the Tesco, Boots and Greg’s can move and then St. David’s can go.

That's the sticking point I believe, Tesco don't have a unit in the BBC and don't want to move out of St. David's House. Boots do, the old Cardiff Bus unit was only ever temporary for them.

I'm not sure why Tesco are so concerned, there's Tesco Express St.Mary St, St. David's plus Metro in The Capitol. Plus I'm sure they'd get a payout for ending the lease early.

RandomComment

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:
I'm not sure why Tesco are so concerned, there's Tesco Express St.Mary St, St. David's plus Metro in The Capitol. Plus I'm sure they'd get a payout for ending the lease early.

Is the alcohol saturation zone still in place and does it cover this area? If so I imagine they may be concerned about their ability to get an alcohol license for a new re-located store. If the store makes a lot of money on alcohol that could explain things.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Tesco have units 4 and 5 in the new BBC building. Store frontage planning documents were submitted recently.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Tesco have units 4 and 5 in the new BBC building. Store frontage planning documents were submitted recently.

Must have missed that one, it looked like the units in the BBC were quite small to me. Anyone have a link to the letting plans?
Last edited by Simon_SW17 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Tesco have units 4 and 5 in the new BBC building. Store frontage planning documents were submitted recently.

Must have missed that one, it looked like the units in the BBC were quiet small to me. Anyone have a link to the letting plans?

Pretty sure it's Tesco, Pret, Greggs and Boots.

I'd like to see some diversity in the bus station since these units will be facing it.

amp

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Yea the station retail should improve diversity of store, but I think the opposite will happen and we shall get a Starbucks or a costa, a spar and other similar establishments.

Kyle

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Confirmation on the Tesco subject mentioned above

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/tesco-central-square-cardiff-bbc-15080906

I guess this clears up the St.David's House demolition problem for definite, assuming it's approved.

How annoying is the South Wales Police objection though? The same occupier already in existence in one unit is just being replaced with the same occupier in a different unit in the same part of the city. I assume they also objected to that in the first place, but what a waste of public money in objecting when it's having no real additional impact.

Simon__200

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:05 pm

They always do this. Thankfully the council we currently have seem to be a bit more open minded, and have chosen to ignore their automatic objections on a number of occasions.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum