It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:51 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: Central Square

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Maybe if the council renamed the proposed bus station "Her Britannic Majesty's Great British Bus Station" it would have more chance of being built.

Simon_SW17

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:28 pm

I didn't realise that this didn't involve the total demolition of St. David's House, which is a shame. Hopefully the next development won't be too far behind.

Generally I quite like the design but it does lack height overall. The public square could be good as long as they stick to the materials in the plans.

sebcity

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 am

I am a fan of the design, the height bothers me less as it makes it more inkeeping with what was previously in the office space.

I am all for a public square, but I am dubious of the size / how effective the space will be for public events! Not that I'm proposing it, but I could see it being more effective should Wood Street become pedestrianised.

Jantra

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:I didn't realise that this didn't involve the total demolition of St. David's House, which is a shame. Hopefully the next development won't be too far behind.

Generally I quite like the design but it does lack height overall. The public square could be good as long as they stick to the materials in the plans.

Surely they will demolish st David's house in one go rather than a bit at a time?

Cwlcymro

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:I didn't realise that this didn't involve the total demolition of St. David's House, which is a shame. Hopefully the next development won't be too far behind.

It seems they plan to demolish the second half of St David's House straight after finishing this building as it's part of Phase 1 not Phase 2

1 | PHASE 1
The proposed development is constructed. Part of
St. David’s House is demolished and replaced by
public a square.
1.2 | PHASE 1.2
The remaining parts of St. David’s House are
demolished, and the site hoarded for future
development.

murfilicious

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 pm

The only thing worse than St David's House being kept...
Half of St David's house being kept!

Idiotic, surely more cost effective to just demolish it in one go
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

DaveE

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Wood Street partially closed today, the middle crane between BBC and 2 Central Square coming down..

Cardiff

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Dont like the frontage to Park street, this street already is dead and this development will provide no active frontage. The public square looks to provide very little seating for hundreds of staff to sit with their lunch and very little green space. Cant say i am very impressed but its the best we can hope for unfortunately.

Simon__200

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am

DaveE wrote:Wood Street partially closed today, the middle crane between BBC and 2 Central Square coming down..

For crane fans...

Image[/URL]

sebcity

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm really beginning to worry about the exterior of this BBC building. That cladding really does look awful so far. Shame as I've been impressed with everything else I've seen in central square so far!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum