It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 pm

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: Central Square

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Out of the three, that's my favourite design. Now let's see those shovels in the ground next week!

From that main image, this is my favourite design too! The first concept drawings never looked that deliverable. It looked like an over-development in some respects, and its curvy nature probably would have meant some awkward internal angles and spaces in the building.

The second design looked a bit "New Town" to me. I didn't like the gap between the office and resi elements. And I thought the resi element, being perched on top of some stilts.. just looked odd.

I think they were both Foster and Partners. One being unrealistic. Two being Milton Keynes.

Three, I like. Designed by a new set of architects - HMA. But it does seem to draw on elements of F&P, mark I and II. Which isn't that surprising given the WG paid £3 million for "the rights to the original design information, including transport planning and architectural principles, for the scheme." Not sure if this is all to F&P, or also to Cardiff Council?

But something strange about the quantum of space and financing.

The article is saying this scheme is £10 million cheaper than F&Ps: so £100 not £110 million, or 9% cheaper. But it involves 25% fewer apartments (300 not 400) and 30,000 square feet less office space.

Even if the 30,000 square feet could only comand £15 a square foot, that would £450,000 a year. At a 7% yield (quite a bit above prime), that would be £6.5 million capital value. And then the capital value of apartments, even if they had to be affordably rented would surely be worth more than £35,000 each!

So there is something strange here... either the cost figures are wrong. The apartment numbers / office space figures wrong.
[b]

OR.. they would have chosen a scheme which represents worse value for money for the taxpayer. That would indicate something dodgy going on in the background.[/b]

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:09 pm

So this is it!

That's a big building! it'll be nice to see the full planning app now for the details. and they say they are starting next week!! The 'round bit' this end may take a bit of getting used to or is that purely because the designs this end have been angular prior to this? The tower the other end looks pretty good and I'm guesstimating around the 75metre mark maybe more.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cardiff

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 7:15 pm

I like the new design, it needed a curve towards St Marys street closest to the train station to give a flow in that direction. It reminds me of the new building going up in Birmingham but maybe just because its curved with a glass wall

BBC building handed over, 18 months of preparation before it opens. Nice to hear the ground floor will be open to the public

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/ ... =corporate

Cen

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Looks great! I’m almost glad there was a delay. The last design was an abomination. Let’s hope this gets built without any more problems!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 pm

It has been mentioned on here previously that the residential tower could be as much as 90metres and looking again at the render that we've got so far, certainly backs that up! That, in Cardiff terms is pretty tall! and I'm really pleased that this significantly tall tower will add to the already impressive central sq. being delivered! and there will be one last piece of the jigsaw in plot 6 which was always planned to be reasonably tall. To say that this area will have been transformed is the understatement of the century! And the really good thing is that we haven't had to lose a single building that was worth saving (OK I had a bit of a soft spot for the Asteys building but given it's location it had to go) and look what we will have!! I know it's taken/taking a fair while but I'm pretty confident that it'll be very much worth the wait!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 am

Im still hoping that the Interchange and Cardiff Central are eventually linked physically.

Plot 6 is would be ideal for Channel 4 if they were interested in setting up shop here.

neukreuz

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 5:48 am

Well well, I have to say that I'm impressed by the design, if that is indeed the absolute final design. The southern half of the building and the curves are particularly attractive.

One thing that's been on my mind, and I hope this doesn't sound at all prejudiced because that isn't my intention for one second, but areas around large train stations are known for attracting people facing difficulties, from the working girls and rent boys that used to frequent King's Cross to our own homeless individuals, alcoholics, drug addicts and those asking for spare change. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether the redevelopment of Central Square will change the profile of the area or if the council will take a more heavy-handed approach to rough sleeping and begging? It makes me angry that Cardiff's homeless population has soared and I'm not a fan of the homeless being "moved on" simply to improve the appearance of an area, and it's also understandable why they congregate in areas with a lot of footfall like this, but on the flipside it doesn't give the best first impression to visitors who arrive at the now worn-looking Central Station and then have to avert the gaze of people sitting on the pavements as they walk towards St Mary Street.

murfilicious

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:So this is it!

Fairly sure I've seen that building shape before...

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Kyle

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

murfilicious wrote:
paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:So this is it!

Fairly sure I've seen that building shape before...

An intentional nod to the past maybe? It's kind of nice it's similar in a way.

Kyle

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:It has been mentioned on here previously that the residential tower could be as much as 90metres and looking again at the render that we've got so far, certainly backs that up! That, in Cardiff terms is pretty tall! and I'm really pleased that this significantly tall tower will add to the already impressive central sq. being delivered! and there will be one last piece of the jigsaw in plot 6 which was always planned to be reasonably tall. To say that this area will have been transformed is the understatement of the century! And the really good thing is that we haven't had to lose a single building that was worth saving (OK I had a bit of a soft spot for the Asteys building but given it's location it had to go) and look what we will have!! I know it's taken/taking a fair while but I'm pretty confident that it'll be very much worth the wait!

In Cardiff terms, I don't think it's taken that long, it's all been developed really quickly with just plot 6 remaining and pretty much all fully let as well. Even the office above the Interchange could be let half way through construction.

Plot 6 is an interesting one, it's kind of earmarked in a hopeful way for more public sector jobs as part of the public sector hub thing, but if the Channel 4 bid comes off then why not, but seeing as it's a production studio you'd think they'd want something with larger floor plates than that (not that I know anything about these things)? Maybe Central Quay or down the bay?

I suppose the one disappointment has been how long it's taken to get this bus station underway, it really should have had a higher priority.

A development I really would have liked in the project is a decent hotel. The demand can't have been there I guess.

Looking forward to seeing the detail planning application now to see exactly how tall that residental tower is.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum