It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:14 am


Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Lyndon

  • Posts: 239
  • Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 pm

RandomComment wrote:I'm not a massive fan of the residential element of this design, but I just took a look at WalesOnline comments.

Who actually comments on that site? All negativity about the design, BBC car parking spaces ("on top of OUR bus station"), complaints its a "part time bus station" thats "not big enough" and not right in front of the station (oooh its off to the side). Above all though accusations of backhanders/brown envelopes to the council and to/from BBC.

Now I'm not naive enough to think there aren't issues with corruption and poor governance. But the degree of cynicism, pessimism, shown in Wales (and the UK more generally) at the moment when it comes to politicians and public life, is just counter-productive. If politicians think the public hold them in utter contempt, and there isn't much you can do about it apart from being populist, then moderates with principles who don't want to be populists are more likely to err (they'll hate us anyway); some will be pushed to populism (and the problems that brings); and populists can get away with more because people like the easy answers / blame games they peddle.


You get identical comments on any UK news site, they all tend to attract a particular sort of person. Entertaining to troll them occasionally though. ;)
Offline

cardiffian

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 7:48 am

EvanRoberts wrote:I agree, really do not like the design of the tower. As much as I am all for increasing the urban density, personally I would like to see new buildings restricted to around ten stories unless the design is of iconic potential.


Eh, why a random 10 stories?
Offline

cardiffian

  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 7:50 am

Cen wrote:
cardiffian wrote:Statues and water features! My god you people have no taste!
I don’t quite understand... So you want a huge, empty square with no statues or water features? What exactly would you have there? A few restaurants aren’t going to suddenly make it Trafalgar Square. It will be dead.


Loads of way to make a nice square, water features and statues are usually just a bit naff.
BTW have used two straw men arguments in your reply.
Offline

Cardiff

  • Posts: 380
  • Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 am

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 am

Why do you say water features and statues are naff? If done to a decent standard they really bring a place to life, and give a focal point.

Personally i would prefer a water feature to a statue, especially a statue that in this case is based on gender and not merit.
Offline

Cen

  • Posts: 517
  • Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 8:07 am

cardiffian wrote:
Cen wrote:
cardiffian wrote:Statues and water features! My god you people have no taste!
I don’t quite understand... So you want a huge, empty square with no statues or water features? What exactly would you have there? A few restaurants aren’t going to suddenly make it Trafalgar Square. It will be dead.


Loads of way to make a nice square, water features and statues are usually just a bit naff.
BTW have used two straw men arguments in your reply.
I don’t see how it’s a straw man argument. You’ve not proposed any ideas of what to have in this square (which you previously said you’d rather have instead of the BBC - a large piece of land) but are shooting others down. I’m merely suggesting that if you didn’t have at least something of interest there, a few bars and restaurants are not going to attract the crowds needed to fill it. What would you put there?
Offline

Simon__200

  • Posts: 215
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 9:41 am

RandomComment wrote:I'm not a massive fan of the residential element of this design, but I just took a look at WalesOnline comments.

Who actually comments on that site? All negativity about the design, BBC car parking spaces ("on top of OUR bus station"), complaints its a "part time bus station" thats "not big enough" and not right in front of the station (oooh its off to the side). Above all though accusations of backhanders/brown envelopes to the council and to/from BBC.

Now I'm not naive enough to think there aren't issues with corruption and poor governance. But the degree of cynicism, pessimism, shown in Wales (and the UK more generally) at the moment when it comes to politicians and public life, is just counter-productive. If politicians think the public hold them in utter contempt, and there isn't much you can do about it apart from being populist, then moderates with principles who don't want to be populists are more likely to err (they'll hate us anyway); some will be pushed to populism (and the problems that brings); and populists can get away with more because people like the easy answers / blame games they peddle.

Comments in online newspapers are invariably made by dismissive Daily Mail reader types. I read them ror a laugh, but don't ever consider them representative of anything.
Offline

Baysailor

  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 11:22 am

Modern water features with synchronised jets creating a sense of movement to light and music can be mesmerising. Seen some truly brilliant designs in regenerated cities around the world. Time Cardiff had one as well.
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 797
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Baysailor wrote:Modern water features with synchronised jets creating a sense of movement to light and music can be mesmerising. Seen some truly brilliant designs in regenerated cities around the world. Time Cardiff had one as well.


Agreed - but I'm not sure a public space outside the main railway station is the place for one.

Managing these kinds of spaces can be problematic as they tend to be magnets for beggers, drug users and people with mental health issues. Added to which, when major events are being held a lot of the available space will be recquired for queueing systems etc.

The Cader Idris sculpture had to be moved from Central Square to the Bay because of vandalism, spray painting etc. One can only imagine what might happen to a water feature!
Offline

Bishop84

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Ash wrote:
Baysailor wrote:The Cader Idris sculpture had to be moved from Central Square to the Bay because of vandalism, spray painting etc. One can only imagine what might happen to a water feature!


I thought they moved it because it was generally disliked and no one understood what it was meant to represent (as well as the vandalism etc.)
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 797
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Bishop84 wrote:I thought they moved it because it was generally disliked and no one understood what it was meant to represent (as well as the vandalism etc.)


You're right, it wasn't very popular! It was however a well used repositary for discarded chewing gum. ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests