It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Central Square

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Even when the HMRC is built,and if St.Davids House is 100%demolished and I correct in saying there's still land going spare here? The last bit towards the Plaza?

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Even when the HMRC is built,and if St.Davids House is 100%demolished and I correct in saying there's still land going spare here? The last bit towards the Plaza?

I think with St Davids gone there will be 1 plot left.

regarding demolition of first half of St Davids - NO sign of even preparation of demolition as shops still occupied. But HMRC is a long way from completion (construction as such, hasn't even started yet - very busy piling though) and does not require demolition of st davids to proceed.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Simon_SW17

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 3:28 am

The vacant shop units in St. David's House are being marketed as temporary leases until Jan 2019, so that's the demolition timeline I guess.

As Paul said, no need for any earlier as HMRC is only at the groundworks stage.

moyceyyy

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 pm

fair enough. what is the height of the HMRC office? I'm assuming it will be about 55-60m, which is about the height of the other two. By the looks of the renders it will be as high quality as the other three buildings, which is really pleasing to see.

happy sunny friday everyone! in the context of the forum im listening to 'if we ever' by high contrast, one of the most iconic cardiff tunes to date :)

Kyle

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:40 pm

moyceyyy wrote:fair enough. what is the height of the HMRC office? I'm assuming it will be about 55-60m, which is about the height of the other two. By the looks of the renders it will be as high quality as the other three buildings, which is really pleasing to see.

happy sunny friday everyone! in the context of the forum im listening to 'if we ever' by high contrast, one of the most iconic cardiff tunes to date :)

It’ll be a bit taller than the other offices in Central Square, around 12 floors high I think, maybe around 10 at one part of it. So around the size of Southgate house height wise maybe?

moyceyyy

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Kyle wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:fair enough. what is the height of the HMRC office? I'm assuming it will be about 55-60m, which is about the height of the other two. By the looks of the renders it will be as high quality as the other three buildings, which is really pleasing to see.

It’ll be a bit taller than the other offices in Central Square, around 12 floors high I think, maybe around 10 at one part of it. So around the size of Southgate house height wise maybe?

But will look nothing like it, thank god.

Jantra

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 8:15 am

I like Southgate house.

Kyle

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 am

Jantra wrote:I like Southgate house.

Me too. It's been let down by shitty surroundings over the last 20 years or so with St. David's House, Marland House etc as neighbours but will kind of be part of Central Square once HMRC, the bus station and the buildings above it are built. It'll benefit from having that public square next to it I think.

Ash

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 am

Jantra wrote:I like Southgate house.

Agreed - it could do with a good clean though! Hopefully that will happen as the area around it improves.

Cardiff

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:35 am

It has plenty of space around it to support cafes and restaurants etc, i guess no one wanted to sit outside here with the old bus stop etc there. The Royal Hotel and Post office building are quite attractive buildings to look at from here also, i always envisaged a nice square like Friary gardens here.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum