It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 pm

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Central Square

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Lots of retail to fill, shouldn't be an issue though. It's a pretty impressive building alright. The HMRC when I walked past earlier is much bigger than I expected. Between this and that, the area will be transformed.

Cen

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Lots of retail to fill, shouldn't be an issue though. It's a pretty impressive building alright. The HMRC when I walked past earlier is much bigger than I expected. Between this and that, the area will be transformed.
Visitors walking out of Cardiff Central will certainly get a better impression than they used to! :lol:

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Cen wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Lots of retail to fill, shouldn't be an issue though. It's a pretty impressive building alright. The HMRC when I walked past earlier is much bigger than I expected. Between this and that, the area will be transformed.
Visitors walking out of Cardiff Central will certainly get a better impression than they used to! :lol:

I agree, although Cardiff Central is dire these days. Statement won't be true until it's revampt! Hopefully in time for the completion of the exchange.

Cwlcymro

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Much better than it's most recent predecessor!

The only bit I don't understand is the bottle opener lookalike hanging over the bus exit on Prince of Wales side. What on earth is it for? Am I missing something obvious?

Owen

PostTue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Hare we go folks...

http://www.cardiffinterchange.com/

just off to have a good look myself

Still to be built at Central square, according to the DAS:
Offices to the West of HMRC
A small office led mixed use facility building immediately east of Cardiff Railway Station adjacent to Platform 0 embankment wall on Saunders Road - known as 13B
Public square
Interchange

Anyone know what building 13B is?

LocalResident

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 am

Cwlcymro wrote:Much better than it's most recent predecessor!

The only bit I don't understand is the bottle opener lookalike hanging over the bus exit on Prince of Wales side. What on earth is it for? Am I missing something obvious?

Yeah I was wondering the same.
Other than something to try and make the main building appear to align with the seperate servicing plant center when viewed from above, i can only assume it is an actual giant bottle opener.

Also, does anyone know the purpose of the existing brick building that will remain between the new servicing plant area and the bottle opener?

Ash

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 am

LocalResident wrote: Also, does anyone know the purpose of the existing brick building that will remain between the new servicing plant area and the bottle opener?

I've always assumed it was an electricity sub-station. Don't know why I think that but it's hard to imagine it having any other purpose.

Kyle

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 am

Owen wrote:

A small office led mixed use facility building immediately east of Cardiff Railway Station adjacent to Platform 0 embankment wall on Saunders Road - known as 13B
Public square
Interchange

That would be a tiny plot, quite close to Sleeperz? Wouldn't that be the side entrance to Central Station near the taxi rank turning area? Also, you'd think this would be mopped up as part of the Central Station revamp?

Or am I looking at the wrong place?

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 10:46 am

Kyle wrote:
Owen wrote:

Public square
Interchange

That would be a tiny plot, quite close to Sleeperz? Wouldn't that be the side entrance to Central Station near the taxi rank turning area? Also, you'd think this would be mopped up as part of the Central Station revamp?

Or am I looking at the wrong place?

Under the last revamp plans for Cardiff Central there was a tower there, but it came under Network Rail, not Central Square. You know how plans change though...

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 12:54 pm

I've removed the pic from the header 'pic of the day' (ok it's been of the month or more recently :lol: but I'm going to update more regularly now ;) ) but I'm re-posting it here for reference!

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum