It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:45 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
Jantra

Re: Central Square

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 7:09 am

redragon wrote:for those who don't know paul-cardiffwalesmap has a flickr account which he updates almost every day...i think there are some new central square pics on there...

Have you got a link?

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 am

nothing too fancy here - but I live close to town and use my phone for photos and therefore easy to upload to flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Rhodri

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 10:22 am

Passed the site yesterday, a real hive of activity. It was hard to imagine what Central Square will look like but if it is done correctly then it will be impressive as I am continually taken aback on how 'town' just starts when you cross the Taff. I guess this is what they mean by a gateway project

LocalResident

Kyle

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:16 am

The interesting thing in the groundbreaking ceremony article is there appears to have been a name change from Capital Square back to Central Square.

I wonder if that's related to JR Smart having the Capital Quarter scheme on Tyndall Street and maybe someone has realised it's a bit daft having two schemes with similar names ?

I prefer the name Central Square so I do hope they've changed their minds on the scheme name. It's what the area is already called, it's right next to Central Station and the word 'Central' itself helps identify it as being smack in the middle of the city.

As far as the car park is concerned that's good news, although the whole 'will probably be demolished' is just stupid. Of course it's going to be demolished, or I at least hope so. That and Marland House are coming down hopefully for the new bus station and some new offices.

EDIT : If it is changing they haven't done this on their website etc. yet http://rightacres.co.uk/1-capital-square/4584418617

Jantra

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

Kyle wrote:The interesting thing in the groundbreaking ceremony article is there appears to have been a name change from Capital Square back to Central Square

^^^ this

capital square is just twee and is alongside international sports village for shitness.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 am

The only thing that should have international attached to it's name is Cardiff Airport and even that's been dropped.

Mermaid Quay is another pet hate of mine, it should be named after something local/historical/real. Also it should be a nicely designed building but that's another subject :D

Kyle

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

Yep, agree with you fully on this. I really do hope they are changing the name.

Basically this scheme is about redesigning Central Square, so just keep the f-ing name because there's nothing wrong with it. It's just the buildings that exist there that need to change.

Shminky Binky

PostFri Sep 26, 2014 9:18 am

The new hoardings surrounding No1 have No1 Cental Square on them.

RandomComment

PostFri Sep 26, 2014 10:45 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:The only thing that should have international attached to it's name is Cardiff Airport and even that's been dropped.

Mermaid Quay is another pet hate of mine, it should be named after something local/historical/real. Also it should be a nicely designed building but that's another subject :D

The mermaid surging out of the water was the symbol of Cardiff Bay - rejuvination, rising from the deep (mud!). So I can see why they named it such, although it is a little naff. What could it be though instead? Pierhead Quay? (a bit confusing with Pierhead building?) I'm struggling - it's too far from the Coal Exchange to reference that, "Bute" or "Tiger Bay" references don't work.. there's lots of historic shipping companies that could be named after, but which?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum