It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Central Square

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 7:23 am

Good to see it progressing, what I do like is Transport for Wales will be running the bus station, so bit by bit we are seeing city region wide management starting to kick in here and there.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-42343736

Msmurf

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 am

I like involvement of Transport for Wales - and the establishment of 'Metro Delivery Partnership'. Hope it can deliver more than some branded benches at Radyr.

Also interesting to see that in the ICWales article it shows the covered canopy to the station - even if it is very simple and basic. We desperately need to get the Interchange underway - and get some updated plans for Central Station development
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Great to hear some positive news on this scheme. I look forward to hearing more about who will be occupying the office space. An inward investor, bringing new jobs to the city, would be great, as it's been a bit disappointing to see so much of the recently developed Grade A office space being taken up by companies who are relocating within the city.

Is there any information out there regarding how extensive the design changes are and whether a new planning application will be required? The one photograph that's been released offers a tantalising glimse, with the return of a curved corner and canopy linking the bus and railway stations. Fingers crossed that the rest of the design is improved too and has returned to something that's closer to the first design that Foster and Partners produced.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:Great to hear some positive news on this scheme. I look forward to hearing more about who will be occupying the office space. In inward investor, bringing new jobs to the city, would be great, as it's been a bit disappointing to see so much of the recently developed Grade A office space being taken up by companies who are relocating within the city.

Is there any information out there regarding how extensive the design changes are and whether a new planning application will be required? The one photograph that's been released offers a tantalising glimse, with the return of a curved corner and canopy linking the bus and railway stations. Fingers crossed that the rest of the design is improved too and has returned to something that's closer to the first design that Foster and Partners produced.

Yes indeed! - really looking forward to seeing renders of this one - I'm intrigued to see the effect that the extra 200+ apartments will have had, presumably a height increase on the structure wood street end.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 pm

It could also mean that the height of the building is more consistent over the entire block, meaning that there would no longer be a low level plinth and visible car park opposite the BBC headquarters. I'm personally hoping that this is the case because that was the aspect of the design that I have been most concerned about.

moyceyyy

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 am

HalRobsonKanu wrote:It could also mean that the height of the building is more consistent over the entire block, meaning that there would no longer be a low level plinth and visible car park opposite the BBC headquarters. I'm personally hoping that this is the case because that was the aspect of the design that I have been most concerned about.

Absolutely this. The second design looked like a box architecture mess with a flat space on the top which just reminded me of some post-war monolith. The third (new) renders show lovely curves along the corners, and hopefully, no gap in the middle. Will finish off what is to be a superb development.

RandomComment

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm

moyceyyy wrote:Absolutely this. The second design looked like a box architecture mess with a flat space on the top which just reminded me of some post-war monolith. The third (new) renders show lovely curves along the corners, and hopefully, no gap in the middle. Will finish off what is to be a superb development.

Where are the new third set of renders?

Msmurf

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 2:26 pm

RandomComment wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:Absolutely this. The second design looked like a box architecture mess with a flat space on the top which just reminded me of some post-war monolith. The third (new) renders show lovely curves along the corners, and hopefully, no gap in the middle. Will finish off what is to be a superb development.

The second render on the BBC page - and almost the same on IC Wales but with addition if canopy.

The interesting thing on these pictures apart from the softer rounded edges, is there appears to be an extra two floors ....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Msmurf wrote:
RandomComment wrote:

The second render on the BBC page - and almost the same on IC Wales but with addition if canopy.

The interesting thing on these pictures apart from the softer rounded edges, is there appears to be an extra two floors ....

It'll be interesting to see the plans once submitted online. I'm also in the club thats glad they've changed the missing bit in the middle.

moyceyyy

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 2:41 pm

RandomComment wrote:

Go to the BBC link at the top of this page.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum