It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 pm

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: Central Square

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Zach wrote:
Beset is better and the more usual usage. Besieged is more metaphorical and idiomatic. I don’t like it. Clumsy language.

Beset usually refers to an individual, i.e. my faith is beset with doubts.
Besieged is more of a communal adjective, which in this case as it refers to Cardiff council and the Bus station in general I think she is spot on in its use!!

Don't think there is anything clumsy.

No doubt you will dissagree :D

I do disagree. In my opinion, beset is the standard word to be used with “difficulties”or “problems”. Besieged isn’t even the top synonym for beset according to online thesauruses I’ve consulted. And the same is true with the reverse. I believe that beleaguered would have been preferable to besieged.

But you make a fair point. Besieged is acceptable but, in my opinion, inferior.

Anyway, we were right about the bus station. I believe that the Labour administration will continue to be bedevilled by criticism regarding this FUBAR. I’m just waiting for McEvoy’s sanctimonious, unconstructive input. He was decrying the student homes plan when it was announced, rather than celebrating the fact that we may see some movement on this scheme.

A political opportunist, to be sure. Is there any truth in the rumour that he actually wanted the LDP (Plas Dwr in particular) to go ahead so that he would have a stick to beat his old party, Labour, with for many years to come? And thus have an issue with which to win elections in Fairwater? Who knows.....?

moyceyyy

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 11:52 pm

I read that WOL article earlier in work and was just astounded by the misleading clickbait title. Even by their standards thats bad. Its not cancelled, its just been delayed in order to get a better design that Cardiff deserves.

I'm very glad its back to the drawing board and the fact that theyre using a twin approach. Theyve accepted that the new design was awful in use, capacity and design. That pleases me and gives me hope. :)

moyceyyy

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks like theyve started piling at HMRC.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:09 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... 882453.amp

Interesting... We could have a separate coach station south of Cardiff Central station?

moyceyyy

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 1:46 am

Good. That will reduce the pressure of coaches in the BUS station, coaches end up sitting there for 10 times longer than a bus would, and like it says in the article, they take up more room.

Bristols 'Bus station' has more coaches than public buses - its essentially a National Express car park, and a completely underutilised facility compared to its predecessor (demolished in 2005).

We may get up to 17-18 bus bays in the bus station now, which I'm fairly happy with. It will also separate the long distance and short distance travellers, reducing confusion and overcrowding. Things are looking better now!

Simon__200

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 9:03 am

If the two coach bays are moving elsewhere, and coaches take up more room, why would it only allow the addition of "one or maybe two" extra bus bays. Surely, *at least* two extra bays, possibly more.

Jantra

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 10:30 am

I can't find that article on walesonline. What does it say?

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 am

"But, he has now revealed that instead of 14 bays for buses and two for coaches in the main bus station area, there will be a separate coach area.

Currently coaches are having to use a site at Sophia Gardens.

That has caused concern from fellow councillors and passengers having to access it in the dark.

But the new plans could see four separate coach bays put in place at the rear of the station – as part of the redevelopment of the Brains brewery site.

There would also be facilities like a shop or ticket office.

He warned that even if a separate coach facility was created, there could be a period of time where coaches have to use the new bus station.

Coach spaces take up more room, according to Coun Goodway, and by moving them to a new facility it would allow one or maybe two more bus bays to be included in the plans."

It makes total sense, but this will take quite a number of years. They need to get Network Rail on board to make proper use of the flat surface car park. Central Quay needs a multi-story to make up for the lost NCP, increased office presence, increased Cardiff Central passengers, new bus station and a potential new coach station.

Cardiff

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 pm

moyceyyy

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:"But, he has now revealed that instead of 14 bays for buses and two for coaches in the main bus station area, there will be a separate coach area.

Currently coaches are having to use a site at Sophia Gardens.

That has caused concern from fellow councillors and passengers having to access it in the dark.

But the new plans could see four separate coach bays put in place at the rear of the station – as part of the redevelopment of the Brains brewery site.

There would also be facilities like a shop or ticket office.

He warned that even if a separate coach facility was created, there could be a period of time where coaches have to use the new bus station.

Coach spaces take up more room, according to Coun Goodway, and by moving them to a new facility it would allow one or maybe two more bus bays to be included in the plans."

It makes total sense, but this will take quite a number of years. They need to get Network Rail on board to make proper use of the flat surface car park. Central Quay needs a multi-story to make up for the lost NCP, increased office presence, increased Cardiff Central passengers, new bus station and a potential new coach station.

Theres a new one at Capital Quarter so i doubt we will see another one.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum