It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Central Square

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:05 pm

With construction of the Interchange, work on Sleeperz and the customs house Premier Inn the whole area is looking a bit over worked when catching a train today to the north of the train tracks, will be nice to see them completed and work start on the ledger south of the train station and car park.

Ash

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 9:11 am

The new tax office / Wales office building has been named Ty William Morgan and the keys have been handed over for the fit out to begin. Bishop William Morgan translated the Bible into Welsh, for what it's worth! At least it's better than Ty Alun Cairns!

Owen

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:52 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/49395010746/

This developing public space in front of HMRC looks as bleak & bare as the space in front of Central station.
The space in between buildings here is such a let down. Why isn’t more effort & design put into this here.

penarth bloke

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:17 pm

The design of the space between buildings is just as important as the design of the buildings themselves.

Thewasp

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:06 pm

I thought it was going to be an open green space rather than that!

Cardiffbay

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:08 pm

These areas need to be large open spaces to cater for when the stadium empties after an event. There is really nothing more you can do. Most areas around new large stadiums are big open spaces.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 1:21 am

The prospect of it being a large bleak area will hopefully change when the last plot of central sq. is developed - really looking forward to hearing something on that front! I've noticed that there are quite a few trees planted in this new area (not very visible on that photo) but they are very small and could be the victim of anti-social types before they are big and strong enough to be more 'idiot proof' - maybe I should have more faith in humanity! :roll:
Anyway I'm going to remain a bit more optimistic about the area - remember what we had before!! ;)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Karl

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 am

My understanding is that this was where the Betty Campbell statue was to be sited. I also thought that there would be a few kiosks here or did I dream that? I'm not sure if there will be any commercial units on the ground floor - if there is this will liven up the area.

I tend to agree that the area outside Central Station has to be reasonably empty to allow circulation although at the moment it is a bit barren. However the bus station building which will have commercial units and also trees along the street hasn't been built yet so perhaps it will look less windswept. There is also talk of having pop up markets there which I think would be a good thing.

It will be interesting to see what effect the thousands of people who will be working in and travelling through this area will have in terms of commercial offering. At the moment - other than Pret - the commercial tenants have been simply transplanted from St Davids House. All pretty boring. I wonder if we will see any bars/restaurants opening in the future - surely the BBC expense accounts will be looking for a home?

Cardiff

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 12:21 pm

I think the bus interchange will do a lot to make central square feel less open and windswept as it will be taller than the BBC building and will hem the eastern side in.Having said that i would love to see some more greenery in the form of high planters or raised grassy areas that can not be cut across but can still be sat on in the summer.

If you think your average worker has 30 minutes - 1 hour max for lunch, you cant walk far and still have time to order/eat, the castle will be a bit too far for greenery and Callaghan square is pleasant in the summer but a bit empty, there is very little seating to get some fresh air around central square/st Marys street, but HMRC, BBC and University buildings have rooftop terraces also, but again limited spaces. I'm hoping the HMRC square will have plenty of seating and at least one commercial unit (wasnt there a kiosk planned at the western end?).

I can see the south end of St Marys street becoming just as much day time focused as night time, and maybe see a shift of clubs to other parts of the city.

Central square has always been exciting, not only because of the physical development but also the transformation of having so many relatively educated and wealthy people in this part of the city center.

Owen

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 pm

There is an interesting note at the end of Huw Thomas' statement to council. When discussing the handing of the keys over at the HMRC building he says...

The Council continues to work with colleagues in UK government to secure a second phase of development, to accommodate more civil service jobs, earmarked for the site adjacent to their new hub building in central square
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum