It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:32 am


Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Hmm. I'd imagine this is reserved for a more substantial development e.g. a tower of some sort.

It would be the signature building.
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

And every time I visit this thread, I get angry about that f****** bus station! Is there a worse design for a major project in the last 10 years? I dont think so.
Offline

Jennifer

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Great aerial views of current developments in Cardiff....



http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/c ... f-12757283
Offline

neukreuz

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:35 pm

The main thing I took away from that video is how much presence and how good Capital Tower looks, especially when you consider some of the crud from that era (ie. Stadium House).
Offline

Jennifer

  • Posts: 11
  • Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 pm

neukreuz wrote:The main thing I took away from that video is how much presence and how good Capital Tower looks, especially when you consider some of the crud from that era (ie. Stadium House).

Stadium House had a make over in 2002 and is reflected in looking a bit more up to date. Capital tower still has that 70's feel to it. Just my opinion though.

How high do you think that drone must have been flying to capture all this.... 130 metres?
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 533
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 pm

moyceyyy wrote:Hmm. I'd imagine this is reserved for a more substantial development e.g. a tower of some sort.

It would be the signature building.


I'm not so sure. As well as space for 3,000 HMRC there's still a requirement for
the government hub, and it was thought central square had also won this.

However, I think it's a bit odd that JR Smart a ploughing on with number 4 and
number 3 Capital Quarter at the same time without tenants lined up (that we know of) so it
wouldn't shock me if the other big central government project is going there.
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Kyle wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:Hmm. I'd imagine this is reserved for a more substantial development e.g. a tower of some sort.

It would be the signature building.


I'm not so sure. As well as space for 3,000 HMRC there's still a requirement for
the government hub, and it was thought central square had also won this.

However, I think it's a bit odd that JR Smart a ploughing on with number 4 and
number 3 Capital Quarter at the same time without tenants lined up (that we know of) so it
wouldn't shock me if the other big central government project is going there.


Well as we saw with the link previously posted, Cardiff has 685,000 sq ft of office space in 2016 which really wasnt enough at all. So it doesnt shock me either. It's just a reflection of a hugely up-and-coming city.
Offline

Peiriannydd

  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 am

Ask anyone in property and they'll tell you that a city (particularly a capital) always needs a continual supply of quality office space for businesses.

I keep saying, out business/office area of woeful for a capital city. If we are to attract blue-chip companies to Cardiff, then we need to do more.

I commented before that Lloyd George Avenue was a missed opportunity. Here we could have built a nice stretch of offices that linked Callaghan Sq with the Bay. Maybe this will be achieved via Dumballs Road and Trade St instead. Things appear to be going that way.

One development that seems to be forgetton about, is Rightacres development One Canal Parade
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... e-11358005
It's taking shape and coming along nicely. I have wondered though why they are doing it when they are bogged down with Central Square.
Offline

moyceyyy

  • Posts: 151
  • Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm
  • Location: Llanelli

Re: Central Square

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 am

The build quality for One canal parade looks lovely. Wonder what went wrong with Central Square
Offline

Peiriannydd

  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:48 am

moyceyyy wrote:The build quality for One canal parade looks lovely. Wonder what went wrong with Central Square


To be fair, the new BBC building looks quality. I think the office buildings will also look good. I really love RIO's No.1 Capital Sq too. It's the bus station that's gone horribly wrong.

The quality of One Canal Parade, which isn't really in a prominent position at the moment, makes the decisions on the bus station all the more strange. Why lavish money on something tucked away and yet cut corners on a flagship development? It's bonkers!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron