It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm


Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Lewisbeecham

  • Posts: 266
  • Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 am

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 6:03 pm

Work begins next month guys! April 2018! I'll still believe it when it happens...
Offline
User avatar

paul cardiffwalesmap

  • Posts: 841
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:27 am

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Work begins next month guys! April 2018! I'll still believe it when it happens...


Let's hope that's 18 eh!

This sounds like great news - at last!! I wonder if designs have changed since we last saw some renders of this one? and in those, they never quite showed the wood st. end of the development. So it'll be great to actually see renders and plans of what they are actually building. If anyone out there wants to share some info I'm sure we'd all be very grateful!...
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
Offline

Cardiff Ian

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Work begins next month guys! April 2018! I'll still believe it when it happens...


Source? There hasn’t been a planning application yet for the revised design? Although presumably there will be an enabling works application initially like on HMRC site to get things moving quicker.
Offline

Lyndon

  • Posts: 230
  • Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Re: Central Square

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Cardiff Ian wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Work begins next month guys! April 2018! I'll still believe it when it happens...


Source? There hasn’t been a planning application yet for the revised design? Although presumably there will be an enabling works application initially like on HMRC site to get things moving quicker.


It's on the BBC, so I suppose that makes it official:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-43521689?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_wales_news&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=wales

Work on Cardiff's delayed new bus station could finally begin next month.

The city-centre station was demolished in 2015 as part of Central Square redevelopment.

Several plans have since been proposed - but work has yet to get off the ground.

Cardiff council will hold a key meeting next week - where officials are expected to sign off final plans for the scheme.

Ahead of that, a deal has been struck between the local authority, developers Rightacres Property and the Welsh Government.

It will secure offices as part of the scheme and means work can start without a tenant having to be secured first.

It will also see Cardiff council hand over its leasehold interest in one part of Central Square to the Welsh Government, which has not yet been disclosed.
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 777
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 10:04 am

Cardiff Ian wrote:
Source? There hasn’t been a planning application yet for the revised design? Although presumably there will be an enabling works application initially like on HMRC site to get things moving quicker.


The initial works are covered by the existing planning permissions as the changes to the plans are all above ground floor level.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/cardiffs-bus-station-plans-set-14044828
Offline

Cardiff Ian

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Lyndon wrote:
Cardiff Ian wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Work begins next month guys! April 2018! I'll still believe it when it happens...


Source? There hasn’t been a planning application yet for the revised design? Although presumably there will be an enabling works application initially like on HMRC site to get things moving quicker.


It's on the BBC, so I suppose that makes it official:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-43521689?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_wales_news&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=wales

Work on Cardiff's delayed new bus station could finally begin next month.

The city-centre station was demolished in 2015 as part of Central Square redevelopment.

Several plans have since been proposed - but work has yet to get off the ground.

Cardiff council will hold a key meeting next week - where officials are expected to sign off final plans for the scheme.

Ahead of that, a deal has been struck between the local authority, developers Rightacres Property and the Welsh Government.

It will secure offices as part of the scheme and means work can start without a tenant having to be secured first.

It will also see Cardiff council hand over its leasehold interest in one part of Central Square to the Welsh Government, which has not yet been disclosed.


Thanks for the link. I saw some more plans a few months ago but it sounds like it’s changed again. Will be watching closely for anything starting!
Offline

jonbvn

  • Posts: 121
  • Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 am

The PR for this project has been totally shocking. The bus station should have been the first priority for the whole development rather than the last.

I wish the Cardiff voting public would consider the ineptitude of the council and consider voting them out of office. Unfortunately it will never happen.
Offline

Owen

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 3:53 pm

jonbvn wrote:The PR for this project has been totally shocking. The bus station should have been the first priority for the whole development rather than the last.

I wish the Cardiff voting public would consider the ineptitude of the council and consider voting them out of office. Unfortunately it will never happen.


I would at least be fair to the current labour administration of Thomas and Goodway, who will hopefully have really turned this around since taking charge. As long as the plans for the office and residential are decent & closer again to the original designs and they do start building imminently, then I think we will have a good finished product.
But yes, I do think the previous administration under Bale & Patel made some big mistakes around this and Cardiff shouldn’t have been without a bus station for so long.
They’re getting on with it now at least
Offline

Ash

  • Posts: 777
  • Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Re: Central Square

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Owen wrote: I would at least be fair to the current labour administration of Thomas and Goodway, who will hopefully have really turned this around since taking charge. As long as the plans for the office and residential are decent & closer again to the original designs and they do start building imminently, then I think we will have a good finished product.
But yes, I do think the previous administration under Bale & Patel made some big mistakes around this and Cardiff shouldn’t have been without a bus station for so long.
They’re getting on with it now at least


I agree with this. Goodway is Marmite but he does know how to deliver projects and Huw Thomas seems to have quelled some of the destructive factionalism within the Labour group. We'll see if it lasts, but the new administartion is certainly a step up from the previous one.
Offline

DaveE

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: Central Square

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 pm

Would have been nicer with some updated pictures but it looks like the bus station has a green light to proceed.. ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-43576556
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests