It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

EvanRoberts

Re: Central Square

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 10:47 pm

cardiffian wrote:
EvanRoberts wrote:I agree, really do not like the design of the tower. As much as I am all for increasing the urban density, personally I would like to see new buildings restricted to around ten stories unless the design is of iconic potential.

Eh, why a random 10 stories?

I like the great old cities of Europe like Paris where nearly all buildings are about 6 stories high, this gives for a grand but very human scale and does not feel cold and oppressive. But we already have buildings in the area a bit taller than that, like one central square, so around ten stories would be a reasonable compromise between the needs for the area and other considerations.

As for the square, nothing wrong with sculptures and water features, they always work well.

lees

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 6:34 pm

New Central Square residential tower will be the tallest in Cardiff at 88.50 Meters(25 stories)

Really liking the black coloration of the tower, think it will add an awesome look of old and new to the area ;]]]]

Philnpt

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 6:38 pm

I think it was 8m at ground level so in reality it will only be 80m tall

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 7:52 pm

I think I saw somewhere that it was to be 83m. So if this is built it'll be our 5th tower of approx this height! What is it about cardiff and 80m!! Ok can the next batch be in the 90's please! :D
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cardiff

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

All new towers seem to hit the 25 storey mark, we need something tall, something high quality and something like this from Manchester:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/anthony_m ... A3-27mHcqJ

Incidentally, it would be nice if the bus station tower resembled the tower to the left of the picture, very similar colour and design, seems about the right height as well).

...checked it out on street view, i hope the Cardiff tower will be better!

Kyle

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:09 am

25 floors seems to be a bit of an average for Cardiff new towers at the moment doesn't it? We do, in theory, have above 30 floors in the pipeline, at least based on current planning permission approvals. Of course, the Hope Street one appears to be on hold, maybe even cancelled in its current form, but hopefully we'll still see something tall and above 30 floors. Hopefully still above 40!

Then we have the Hallinans House replacement, which at its tallest is 32 floors. Now, I know they've yet start on this one, but the news we've had about tenants moving out is pretty significant, particularly considering it's Howells that are driving the project. They are moving into their new offices this summer so maybe we'll see something happen by the end of the year.

However, just look at the image posted by Cardiff from Manchester. Yes, I know it's a much bigger city in a number of ways, but they are powering on as a city aren't they? Just a casual look of tower heights on Wikipedia and you can see a whole batch above 30 floors, several above 40 and one or two moving on above 60 floors. Some perspective!

Ash

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am

All of which is true, Kyle, but heaven forfend that we go down the same path as Manchester where development has become an end in itself.

Manchester council has the worst record in the UK for provision of social and affordable housing without a single unit being delivered in the last two years and is probably the worst case of "shiny tower syndrome" we've seen for a long time.

Cardiff is lucky in that much of the development here is driven by Welsh based companies, attuned to the city's nature and needs. Manchester and, to a lesser extent, Liverpool and Leeds are gambling their future on speculative builds sold off plan to gullible Asian investors.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/mar/06/manchester-housing-greed-culture-development-buy-to-let

Kyle

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 10:47 am

Ash wrote:All of which is true, Kyle, but heaven forfend that we go down the same path as Manchester where development has become an end in itself.

Manchester council has the worst record in the UK for provision of social and affordable housing without a single unit being delivered in the last two years and is probably the worst case of "shiny tower syndrome" we've seen for a long time.

Cardiff is lucky in that much of the development here is driven by Welsh based companies, attuned to the city's nature and needs. Manchester and, to a lesser extent, Liverpool and Leeds are gambling their future on speculative builds sold off plan to gullible Asian investors.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/mar/06/manchester-housing-greed-culture-development-buy-to-let

Totally agree with you Ash. What I don't want to ever see is a building going up for the sake of it to satisfy an investor, particularly one that hasn't got a clue about the city, and more importantly social values being pushed aside.

I'm quite proud that Cardiff is doing more than the likes of Manchester in this regard, and I'm really pleased to see local developers leading the way just as much. It's nice to see the likes of Rightacres and JR Smart doing well, good on them.

RandomComment

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am

Ash wrote:All of which is true, Kyle, but heaven forfend that we go down the same path as Manchester where development has become an end in itself.

That article is over the top. It's basically a moan by someone with modest means about being unable to buy in Manchester city centre. Being forced to live a mile away!

I'm in two minds when it comes to significant affordable housing obligations. What it risks is housing becoming the preserve of the affluent and the poor, with those in the middle being unable to afford the private market property, but unable to access the social housing. You find that in large parts of inner London. The rich in their nice properties. The poor in their less nice but still relatively spacious council or social housing. And the middle either crammed into buy to let or living further out.

What we really need is more building. More building on the edge of cities as well as on the holy grail brownfield sites. If you make 3 or 4 bed houses on the edge of town cheaper, more people will be willing to commute in to enjoy that space. And that will mean cheaper prices in the inner city.

cardiffian

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

EvanRoberts wrote:
cardiffian wrote:
EvanRoberts wrote:
I like the great old cities of Europe like Paris where nearly all buildings are about 6 stories high, this gives for a grand but very human scale and does not feel cold and oppressive. But we already have buildings in the area a bit taller than that, like one central square, so around ten stories would be a reasonable compromise between the needs for the area and other considerations.

As for the square, nothing wrong with sculptures and water features, they always work well.

I don't think height alone has much to do with why many people like Paris. It more the design of the buildings which are quite uniform and of a certain age.

Paris feels cold and oppressive to me as all the buildings look the same! No individuality at work is oppressive.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum