It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:58 pm

The snails pace of the planning system...

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

The snails pace of the planning system...

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 5:40 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ic-8491925

I understand this development is controversial. And it is right and proper that it be subject to scrutiny. But the time taken for that scrutiny and consultation process is incredible - already pushing back construction by what looks like well over a year, and perhaps longer if there is a "Judicial Review". We need something that deals with these large and controversial projects more quickly. Because I can very well see this project hitting the buffers - delays drag on, so it has to find someone else to host for another couple of years. It then seeks to renew the agreement, but MotoGP have been messed around so much that they don't want to do business with CoW again. So they have to pull the plug on the project because one of the main users no longer wants to be involved.

Now that isn't really a "victory" for the campaigners - although they would claim it was. The project would collapse even if eventually given permission. So the campaigners would have lost the battle so to speak, but won the war due to undermining the business case for the project. All a bit underhand to me.

Kyle

Re: The snails pace of the planning system...

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 5:48 pm

It's particularly annoying when it's in a part of the country that badly needs investment and jobs - of ANY sort !

This also winds me up

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/lisvane-housing-plans-blocked-councillors-8449326

Whether there are faults with this application or not isn't the issue, why did they take so long to get to it ?

Wasn't there also an issue with the St.Edeyrn one being held up by communications issues between the council and Welsh Government.

It just adds to the argument for ripping up our local council structure and starting again with just a few but properly resourced councils.

Jantra

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 6:36 pm

That's the state and public sector for you. People need houses yet the planning officers are happy to reject such proposals then drive home to their lovely 4 bedroom house somewhere.

The planning officers would be second against the wall after our MPs and AMs come the revolution.

MattW

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 10:03 am

Looks like the case officer had genuine concerns about the application, it is important to get it right on such a big development!

The St Eds application was 'called in' by the Welsh Government after the Council had granted permission at Planning Committee due to the issue of developing on 'Best/Most Versatile Agricultural Land.'

Unfortunately big/complex application decisions take time, not much can be done about that really - although the planning system is currently being revised yet again by Welsh Government, whether this will make any difference will be seen a few years down the line.

Jantra

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 10:13 am

MattW wrote:Looks like the case officer had genuine concerns about the application, it is important to get it right on such a big development!

The St Eds application was 'called in' by the Welsh Government after the Council had granted permission at Planning Committee due to the issue of developing on 'Best/Most Versatile Agricultural Land.'

Unfortunately big/complex application decisions take time, not much can be done about that really - although the planning system is currently being revised yet again by Welsh Government, whether this will make any difference will be seen a few years down the line.

Not true. London was a city of 1m people with beautiful parks and wide thoroughfares way before the state created the planning system. The state should be there to provide an overarching framework and it should have the ability to do that quickly.

If it can't do it quickly then it clearly fails the needs of the people - certainly those who are crying out for houses to be built. It seems that the state and planning system in particular are no longer fit for 21st century purpose.

redragon

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 12:14 am

Jantra, your repetitive rants on the same subject are utterly boring.

You aren't going to change anything by ranting in this forum, which frankly probably has less members/interaction because if your relentless rants.

Exactly what is it you do for a day job? All I know is, i'd find you a nightmare to know/work for/work with!

End.

Jantra

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 12:27 pm

redragon wrote:Jantra, your repetitive rants on the same subject are utterly boring.

You aren't going to change anything by ranting in this forum, which frankly probably has less members/interaction because if your relentless rants.

Exactly what is it you do for a day job? All I know is, i'd find you a nightmare to know/work for/work with!

End.

Do you think governments shouldn't be held to account for its por decision making and performance? I don't.

The fact is the uk state slows down economic development with its persistent meddling, silly rules and petty bureaucracy. That is the point of these repetitive rants (as you refer to them).

redragon

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 12:36 pm

Relentlessly expressing your political views on here is not holding anyone to account!

Jantra

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 1:07 pm

redragon wrote:Relentlessly expressing your political views on here is not holding anyone to account!

I never said it was. And it's hardly relentless.

Should I seek permission from the red dragon politburo before posting in future? You seem to be against freedom of speech and individual opinion being expressed.

Linc

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 1:20 pm

Keep posting, Jantra! I may not always agree with your views but I'll fight to ensure freedom of speech!
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you have only today
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum