It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Crazy Golf in Cardiff

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Crazy Golf in Cardiff

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 6:34 pm

Want to play a round of golf in the centre of Cardiff?

Opening in St Davids shopping centre, what next a city centre swimming pool :lol:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/want-play-round-golf-centre-8569987

How do people get finance for these projects? or maybe it like "The Producers" they think it will fail, but to their shock, the people do flock!

RandomComment

Re: Crazy Golf in Cardiff

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 6:56 pm

The location doesn't seem ideal - especially if they are going for the student, 'party' and and stag/hen market. Would have thought something like Stadium Plaza would work (it would be a nice synergy with bowling and laserquest too). But I can see the attraction to St Davids of having them. First, they utilise space on the 2nd floor (with access from the 1st) that would otherwise probably go unused (given the paucity of demand for two storey units upstairs). I bet the deal on the rent is pretty good. And second, it will provide an attraction to draw families, and increase dwell time. Shopping centres now are all about leisure opportunities - make it a destination, and hope they do some shopping at the same time. Can imagine families coming down - Dad plays mini golf with the kids, while Mum goes shopping; and then they have food in TGI Fridays. Whether it will actually be profitable for the operators though is less clear. They'll need a pretty high turnover to pay for the staff and the upfront capital costs, I'd imagine. I'm sure they are hoping for a fair bit of that to come from the bar... but I'm a bit dubious of that (I imagine it being quite naff!).

wizard

PostTue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 pm

I agree. It sounds like about as much fun as the bars at bowling alleys.

This whole leisure time in shoppings centres philosophy leaves me somewhat cold - but then I'm not their target audience.

Jantra

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 9:44 am

wizard wrote:I agree. It sounds like about as much fun as the bars at bowling alleys.

This whole leisure time in shoppings centres philosophy leaves me somewhat cold - but then I'm not their target audience.
I don't know about that. A few pints before a round of golf might improve the game :mrgreen:

Ash

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 9:54 am

I've never understood the point of golf. Still the 'crazy' variety seems a lot more fun than the 'senisble' one. I used to love playing crazy golf on Barry Island when I was kid. Is the set-up still there?

elgdav

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 10:15 am

Yeah the Barry Island course is still there, I made a few quid down there last summer.

Karl

PostWed Feb 04, 2015 10:42 am

Doesn't Cabot Circus have a crazy golf place as well? Apparently it does quite well.

I love a bit of crazy golf and I'm sure I'll thrash the kids, I mean take them out for a fun day with Daddy, when it's up and running. The one down at Barry Island is pirate themed. It looks great but frankly the obstacles are not up to much. Not much of a challenge in my view.

Barden

PostFri Feb 06, 2015 4:50 pm

I for one would like to see a full size crazy golf course. Hitting the ball through the wind turbine, that sort of thing.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum