It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

jonnywill25

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Interesting proposed redevelopment of 40-44 Queen Street... Worth a look! I completely support this demolition and redevelopment.

https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_122192

Metro Bank are the proposed occupier. I had Metro Bank in mind for the old Dorothy Perkins unit beneath the Indigo Hotel but this would equally work.

Victor Clam

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 pm

I just noticed some signage on one of the empty units by Office on Queen Street (opposite Capitol) for Patisserie Valerie. Nice to see some activity that side of town. Assume this would be in addition to the St David’s kiosk?

RandomComment

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm

A Walesonline / Sion Barry moan.

Two recent articles about retailers closing stores:
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... n-14314400
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... p-14225870

Both the M&S at Fforestfach and the Home Base at Culverhouse Cross are described by Sion Barry as being "flagship stores". They're nothing of the sort.

Really there should only be one flag ship store (perhaps per country or major region). But its meant to be a store that shows off the best of the brand, may be a particular destination in its own right, and generally has high sales/large size.

In any case, bog standard stores in out-of-town retail parks in fairly average cities cannot be described as flagship.

Really minor thing, but its just another example of the debasement of Welsh media. Poorly written articles where the same phrases get (mis-)used again and again.

murfilicious

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

RandomComment

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 am

That unit will be REALLY hard to let. There's no street presence as its a basement unit. And if it is empty it might reduce footfall into the lower level of Queens Arcade. I can't think of any obvious retailer for it.

Glenn

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 pm

That unit is just bizarre. Only thing I could think of was something like Argos but they're already a tenant.

If I were them, I'd split the upper New Look into a small, single unit, similar to Tim Hortons. Split the lower into 2 largish units, then in the middle, reinstate escalators that they got rid during the refurb. Give direct access back between Queen Street and the ground floor. Should help fix the bad flow that place has and hopefully bring people back to the ground floor. Don't see much point in them trying to flog a big unit like that when St Davids have large units even they can't shift.

What happened with them doing a food court and re-doing the Working Street entrance? The whole place could frankly use a real re-think.

Amoore

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Dorothy Perkins/Burton Queen Street is closing.

I may be wrong but hasn't there been a Burton (or Burton's Menswear as it was) on that part of Queen Street for many decades?

Simon_SW17

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 pm

There's been a brand of Arcadia in that unit since Queen's West opened, has varied through the years though. Burton was in St. David's back in the day, next to Debenhams. Think it was in this unit originally.

Dorothy Perkins was until recently further down Queen St, near the now HMV. Used to be Top Shop/Top Man before they relocated to the much bigger unit next to Zara.

I imagine Burton has passed on, a bit of a has been brand now. Primark and H&M have most probably taken their business. Dorothy Perkins have a concession in Debenhams.

HalRobsonKanu

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 am

I think that the Burton unit on Queen Street used to be a branch of Fosters back in the '90s.

Frank

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Indeed it was. We used to go to Fosters for our clobber. Then off to the food theatre...

Hope my nieces won't be expecting to go to the flagship Hamleys store when they come down ;)
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum