It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Karl wrote:Looks like Wilko are taking over the HMV unit on Queen Street. I'm glad that a new tenant has been found quickly for such a big unit but it's further evidence that Queen Street is attracting the more 'value' retailers.

Had a quick look at the App. I think their plans for a huge shop sign measuring 7 by 9 metres (23 by 30 feet) should be rejected! It would go from just above the glass canopy to the top of the 1st floor, and be the entire width of the store. I think it could potentially look quite cheap and garish compared to the nearby stores. I'd say keep that either relatively plain, or if some hoarding was needed, rather than just a massive "Wilko" sign, it should be more graphical. Maybe some photos of the kind of products they sell, or a family using some of their stuff, say...

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Guess that's the Queen's Arcade remodel for Wilko's dead in the water then. A giant sign does sound pretty garish.

The M&Co store on Queen St has been downgraded to an outlet, the lease has been up for sale for ages so guess they're not doing so well.

jonnywill25

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Just looked at the planning app myself and that first floor signage is ghastly! I don't understand why retailers opt to stick plastic vinyl over their windows rather than using the natural light in the store? I genuinely hope that aspect will be rejected!

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 5:21 pm

The giant sign isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's actually set back from the window on an internal wall which won't look terrible from the street.

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/files/B5884FC80650BC7074E659714BB69DE9/pdf/A_16_00012_MNR-SK-20147616350000.pdf-1751819.pdf

Karl

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 2:03 pm

On my travels I noticed -

Eccentrix shoe shop in High Street arcade has now closed. According to a notice in the window it had been trading for 35 years!

M&Co in Queen Street is having a closing down sale. No real surprise here. They went from a full retail offering to to an outlet shop quite quickly so clearly they were struggling.

Either La Bodega - tapas restaurant in High St - is having a refurb or is closing. It would be a shame if it did close - although not cheap the food was good and it was something different for High Street. Perhaps Bar 44 opening on Westgate Street has won the war of the tapas?

RandomComment

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Karl wrote:On my travels I noticed -

Eccentrix shoe shop in High Street arcade has now closed. According to a notice in the window it had been trading for 35 years!

M&Co in Queen Street is having a closing down sale. No real surprise here. They went from a full retail offering to to an outlet shop quite quickly so clearly they were struggling.

Either La Bodega - tapas restaurant in High St - is having a refurb or is closing. It would be a shame if it did close - although not cheap the food was good and it was something different for High Street. Perhaps Bar 44 opening on Westgate Street has won the war of the tapas?

M&Co was probably selling okay. But they typically have stores in much cheaper locations in towns small and big. They probably didn't pull in enough custom to pay the higher rents a city centre store would need. Making it an outlet store seems like a desperate attempt to pull the punters in.

Have they been there 5 years yet? If so it might be a break clause. Otherwise it probably means they have been able to assign their lease.

Amoore

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 2:14 pm

M&Co actually closed at the weekend. It started off as a concept store, and as you said, pretty quickly became an Outlet store and fizzled away to nothing. La Bodega has indeed closed too.

murfilicious

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 2:44 pm

Karl wrote:Perhaps Bar 44 opening on Westgate Street has won the war of the tapas?

A tapas fracas?
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Jantra

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 4:46 pm

something for the weekend eh Karl :mrgreen:

Karl

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 8:36 am

Jantra wrote:

something for the weekend eh Karl :mrgreen:

I like to treat myself now and then, Jantra....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum