It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm sure I've seen old black and white photos of a very old Burton's a few doors up from Marments (may have been Fosters) but that wouldn't have been the same unit as the current Burton's.

jonnywill25

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Judging by recent planning applications, it looks like EE are acquiring the Optical Express & Starbucks units on Queen Street (opposite their current Queen Street store).

This will replace their current store in preparation for the buildings demolition...

Cwlcymro

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:Judging by recent planning applications, it looks like EE are acquiring the Optical Express & Starbucks units on Queen Street (opposite their current Queen Street store).

This will replace their current store in preparation for the buildings demolition...

What's happening in that slot again? Was that the Metro bank?

Simon__200

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:47 am

Bad news. House of Fraser closing their Cardiff store, amongst many others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44394837

jonnywill25

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 am

Simon__200 wrote:Bad news. House of Fraser closing their Cardiff store, amongst many others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44394837

This really is bad news... Wales will lose both its House of Fraser stores! A huge loss to the Cardiff high street.

I imagine this iconic building will stand vacant for a significant length of time.

HalRobsonKanu

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 10:12 am

Yes this is really sad news. Not least for all of the people employed in the store.

I posted a comment on this topic in the "General Developments" section and am moving it here as this seems like a better place for this discussion...

Truly the end of an era for those of us who grew up thinking of Howells as Cardiff's answer to Harrods.

The dream scenario is here would be for the store to be taken over be Selfridges, but I’d imagine this is pretty unlikely. Assuming that we won’t see another department store taking the site on, this will be a huge change for the city centre, moving the centre of gravity even more firmly in the direction of St David’s and potentially damaging the prospects of other retail businesses in St Mary Street and some of the arcades.

I wonder what other uses the building(s) might be used for? It could it be subdivided into three or four medium sized retail units but given the amount of vacant prime units in St David’s it’s hard to imagine that this would be viable at the moment.

I’d guess that the most likely scenario is that the site will end of being extensively redeveloped, with the frontages retained and whatever ever isn’t listed behind them being remodelled to accommodate a mix of uses, potentially including some retail, bars and restaurants, apartments and offices.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 am

I think Qatar Airways have just found the perfect site for their 5* hotel.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:30 am

You could be right there, according to WalesOnline, Howell's landlord says that there are 3 hotel groups interested in the building

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am

Really? Interesting. It's perfect for a big hotel. What I would hate to see is a Travelodge rammed in there. It wouldnt surprise me of Accor are after a second site for a Mercure or a Novotel. I would love to see Qatar take it. I don't think it'll be empty for long.

Simon_SW17

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Really? Interesting. It's perfect for a big hotel. What I would hate to see is a Travelodge rammed in there. It wouldnt surprise me of Accor are after a second site for a Mercure or a Novotel. I would love to see Qatar take it. I don't think it'll be empty for long.

A Travelodge type hotel wouldn't look at a building like that, way too expensive for them. It's likely to be something at the top end, it's a beautiful building with great features. There's the old chapel inside which would look amazing as part of a bar or restaurant.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum