It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ben In London

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:I see Mike Ashley is demanding much lower turnover based rents now he’s bought HoF. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Cardiff closing soon if they have interest from 5 star hotels. Can’t see them taking a huge decrease in income if there’s an alternative.

The new Celtic Manor hotel for Westgate Street surely puts paid to a five-star hotel for the Howells building.

Simon_SW17

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Qatar are planning a 5 star hotel so could be them.

Simon__200

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:Qatar are planning a 5 star hotel so could be them.

Would Quatar really want to set up in a particularly inappropriate, very old, former retail building, with not enough outside walls or windows, that they'd have to lease?

Simon_SW17

Rhodri

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 pm

Good news for the staff. Let's hope it climbs up off its knees. There are many good ideas that people came up with when first announced so fingers crossed it doesn't go for bland relaunch

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 am

I'm really glad that it's been saved but have no faith whatsoever in the idea that Mike Ashley (basically the Lex Luther of retail entrepreneurship) is remotely capable of restoring the store to its former glories.

It probably won't be long before the Armani and Boss concessions are replaced with stacks of Sports Direct mugs, Slazenger trainers and Donnnay umbrellas.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:35 am

I imagine that the Flannels store (owned by Sports. Direct) on Churchill Way will be moved into the Howell's building. Not sure if they'll move the Sports Direct from St. David's into there as the footfall would be a lot lower, although a big rent saving.

Reckon there may be a split of the building to other users, the Wales Online article mentioned that not all of the building is used by HoF.

RandomComment

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:Reckon there may be a split of the building to other users, the Wales Online article mentioned that not all of the building is used by HoF.

I reckon that's exactly what will happen. But it will require some imagination as I understand the less attractive space for HoF is the upper floors but there is no separate access to the upper floors from ground floor level. Thats why, to date, they've not sub-leased it, e.g. to office occupiers, or converted it to apartments or hotel use.

Retailer's like ground floors because they get more footfall and have 'free' advertising space in the window displays. But they're going to have to give up some ground floor space to make a proper entrance to any hotel, or offices, or whatever, goes on the upper floors.

My guess is they will give up some of the space on the St Mary's Street side, perhaps where the main menswear department is currently (although they wouldn't have to give this all up). They would then have to consolidate the menswear section.

I think there's a question of whether they move some womenswear downstairs and have men upstairs. Women are more likely to make impulse purchases after seeing something on a browse. Men more likely to be on a shopping "mission". Thats why a lot of places have men on upper floors or basements and women on the ground. Could that work here? The impression I get is HoF in Cardiff has actually been relatively stronger on mens than womenswear though, so perhaps they wouldn't want to risk a (semi) successful formula?

On the upper floors I could see office space a little like the stuff at Morgan Quarter. I could see conversion into apartments. Or perhaps a 3-4 star hotel. I don't think the size and layout would be conducive to a 5 star establishment.

If I were HoF/SD I would think about bringing more food back into HoF stores. In particular a combination of a foodhall with some 'street food', if well signposted, could bring in footfall. You'd want it away from the clothing, but perhaps near accessories, gifts, cards, etc.

Simon__200

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 10:35 am

The entire basement area that used to house electricals, kitchenwear and more lately bicycles has been mothballed for a while now, so I'd expect that to be first.

RandomComment

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 10:29 am

Simon__200 wrote:The entire basement area that used to house electricals, kitchenwear and more lately bicycles has been mothballed for a while now, so I'd expect that to be first.

Basements are sooooooo hard to let as standalone units though. About the only thing I could see would be a gym / pool - either a budget-ish one, or attached to the aforementioned hotel.

I can't see it as a retail unit, and noone wants to work in a basement office.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum