It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 2:13 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:No idea, I think they were going to close the lower level so they could concentrate the last remaining units together upstairs, but that was some time ago.

Maybe it's finally going to be demolished for that new development, but not sure why they wouldn't just knock it down if so. At least something is actually happening unlike The Capitol!

Will have a look tomorrow if I can get a train from London, was a massive fail today.

Dug this out from February, it mentions turning the ground floor into housing amongst other things. Assumedly that rules out the redevelopment plans from 2021.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/cardiff-shopping-centre-facing-uncertain-26110087

dazplott

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 3:49 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:
Simon_SW17 wrote:No idea, I think they were going to close the lower level so they could concentrate the last remaining units together upstairs, but that was some time ago.

Maybe it's finally going to be demolished for that new development, but not sure why they wouldn't just knock it down if so. At least something is actually happening unlike The Capitol!

Will have a look tomorrow if I can get a train from London, was a massive fail today.

Dug this out from February, it mentions turning the ground floor into housing amongst other things. Assumedly that rules out the redevelopment plans from 2021.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/cardiff-shopping-centre-facing-uncertain-26110087

I read it as they were clearing the ground floor in preparation for the already announced mixed use redevelopment. The 2021 plans were for retail and A3 uses at the street and lower levels with hotel and housing above. I cant see any way you could convert the existing lower ground level, with very little natural light and a working shopping mall above, into housing.

I assume they are stripping it back to its shell so they can close it off and minimise any maintenance costs.

Simon_SW17

PostMon Oct 23, 2023 7:10 pm

That would make far more sense, it may be Wales Online's writing that is the issue.

Mikey

PostTue Oct 24, 2023 2:22 pm

In more Chippy Lane news. There is a new chippy opening that's called.....Chippy Lane.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum