It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 pm

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Shame to hear about Rossiters, they were one of the few places in Cardiff to get semi unique gifts from, and a bit higher end than Cardiffs norm.

Lyndon

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Oh bugger, I really liked Rossiters.

lucky

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Damn it - Waitrose are closing Queen Street along with several other stores.

Simon__200

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 11:26 am

lucky wrote:Damn it - Waitrose are closing Queen Street along with several other stores.

Here's the guardian article
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-closures
This is terrible news and surely comes like a bolt from the blue. It's always really busy in that store.

Amoore

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Funnily enough I was in there last week and something didn't feel right - I'm not sure when it's closing but it feels like it's already being run down, limited stock lines.

Lyndon

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:59 pm

A new seafood restaurant is opening in the old Crane's music shop on High Street.

Simon__200

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Amoore wrote:Funnily enough I was in there last week and something didn't feel right - I'm not sure when it's closing but it feels like it's already being run down, limited stock lines.

They're planning on closing it in July according to staff. They're claiming that the closure isn't yet definite, and that it's subject to consultation. Though, when has there ever been a U-turn after this legal formality?
Waitrose have released a customer service contact number 0800 188 884. Should we all pester them to death? Will it make any difference.

I don't think it's currently being run down. On the week you're talking about they had issues with freezers failing, which is why a section was closed off, and the place was in a bit of disarray.

RandomComment

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Buzz and Co closing.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... p-12845268

He lists things like pedestrianisation and Brexit contributing to the closure. They might have been proverbial straws - leading to some drop in footfall, or an increase in cost of imported shows - but I think theres a bigger issue, which is a common theme with many of the independents in the city: the chain stores have upped their game relative to the independents over the last 10 years. Independents used to offer brands or styles that the chains didn't stock. Now there is a wider range of footware in the likes of Shoe, Office, and bigger stores like Debenhams, Howells, M&S that used to focus more on clothes and other types of accessories, realise shoes are quite high margin. And apparently shoes is one area where online sales have really started jumping up (I'd always want to try them on myself, without the faff of sending stuff back).

I do feel for the owners/managers of these independent stores. But at the same time I do think some are now a bit out of the league when it comes to what the fickle and increasingly well-catered-for public want.

redragon

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Pedestrianisation is always blamed to some extent. It has to be seen as positive in this city! For the sake of the physical environment (quality and appearance) and health (air quality, stress, etc). The music shop on st Mary st always complained about this when the street was pedestrianised. I understand you can't pull a van up outside to load a drum kit with the road closed but at the same time, you don't pass a shop in a car and think "oh I must impulse buy an electric guitar"...

It's a shame to see another independant go. Is there no city centre manager or chamber of commerce that can help support businesses (not that they can prevent inevitable closure but assist along the way).

Karl

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 am

There is an application in for the amalgamation of 13-21 High Street Arcade. These are the units currently occupied by, amongst others, New York Deli, Laid Bare, a Nail Bar, ProLine skates etc.

Unless I'm missing something this means that the owners want to create one very large unit which must mean they have an occupier in mind. If thats right then the current occupiers must be on the move. Presumably elsewhere in this or possibly Duke St arcade as there are a few vacancies.

At the same time there is a proposal for student resi above 8-10 High Street which some of the more mature members of this board may recall was Emporium nightclub back in the day, with two commercial units on the ground floor.

A while back there was also an application for new flooring in High Street/Duke Street arcade and as part of the current planning app there is a 'style guide' for the decoration of the arcades. I hope that this means that the new owners are gearing up for a redocoration/revamp. However I'm unsure about having one really big unit. I know its happened with Barkers Tea Room in the same arcade but part of the charm of the arcades is small, independent units selling stuff that you don't fine elsewhere.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum