It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:08 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Interesting observations, Karl.

It seems to me that what's developed around the inner harbour is a seasonal resort rather than the year round 'arc of entertainment' that was intended by CBDC. I was stunned to see how empty many of the Mermaid Quay restaurants were in the run up to Christmas. We had a works do in Carluccios and we were literally the only people there - that was a week before Christmas.

I guess the nature of the place may change over time as there's more development but for now the focus seems to be very much on the city centre with very little going on at the bottom end of Bute Street.

Karl

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 pm

I think the weather has an effect Ash. The last two months have been miserable by any measure so I'm not surprised Mermaid Quay was empty. I bet the Red Dragon Centre did quite well though.

I suppose my observations are also based on when I go there which is almost always when the weather is nice. I think you are right that the Bay has stalled a bit in terms of development. I wonder what will happen when Roath Lock is developed with residential. If I recall correctly it's aimed at family housing as well as apartments.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Karl wrote:Yes Mermaid Quay has not really lived up to its original Covent Garden-on -Sea moniker. Greggs, Tesco, Ladbrokes, Subway,Costa, Starbucks.

These are not aspirational brands but they do serve the lunchtime trade from the office population I guess. As an aside, the Starbucks in MQ is awful, no nice furnishings and very brightly lit. A very weird one.

Cardiff

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Agree that not only Starbucks isnt very nice but there arnt any decent coffee shops in the bay (decor wise), costa isnt that great either and are not destinations that you go to enjoy a coffee but where you just get one. I was hoping they carved up Terra Nova and created some smaller units facing the waterfront. The Norwegian Church is nice in fine weather to sit on the patio but in the rain! I've always been surprised Greggs wernt in the bay, bit of an in joke with how often we would go over as everything ive had from Nata hasnt been that great (also looks a bit like a cafe from my childhood in the valleys), though i do feel sorry for them as its nice to have independents.

Rhodri

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 10:34 pm

The boys behind Garlands have opened a coffee shop near the Co-op. Also, sounds a bit daft I know, the coffee in Y Senedd is very very good with fine views over the bay!

Simon_SW17

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 8:06 pm

The current HMV is closing on 25th January and the new one then doesn't open until May! I guess they must have had a good offer for their lease if they're prepared to have no store for over 3 months. I wonder what will be replacing them.

jonnywill25

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 9:28 pm

Simon_SW17 wrote:The current HMV is closing on 25th January and the new one then doesn't open until May! I guess they must have had a good offer for their lease if they're prepared to have no store for over 3 months. I wonder what will be replacing them.

Very interesting! Where did you hear this Simon? I wonder why they haven't started fitting out the new store... It's currently vacant.

Somebody suggested that it could be BHS, but they seem to be closing stores rapidly right now? Hmm I wonder...

Simon_SW17

PostSun Jan 17, 2016 10:17 pm

There are posters in the shop window with the closing and re-opening dates.

The old Evans unit is being re-developed with a new full height glass frontage which is why it's taking so long I guess.

http://www.shopproperty.co.uk/DisplayShop.aspx?TenancyCode=40009477737EYWI

jonnywill25

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 12:07 am

http://www.shopproperty.co.uk/Pdf/40009 ... 7979f5bb02

The new HMV store design will certainly give a new lease of life to this area of Queen Street! Looks good...

Ash

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 9:55 am

A definate improvement on the Evans unit - the bigger HMV is still a loss though.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum