It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

LRcardiff

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 pm

In 2013 planning permission was requested from "C/O The Kings" to turn Jessops it into a bar.

I hear through the grape fine the same people have to be waiting for the Jessops' lease to expire and are planning to do the same again.

https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/o ... APR_103129

(...... very interesting that Parc Lane fish and chip show has closed didn't the same people run that?)

Amoore

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 pm

I remember about a year or so ago hearing Pulse had plans to develop all the ground floor units of Churchill House into bar/restaurant units, running one new bar by itself and renting the rest out. It doesn't seem to have come to anything though and Wales Air Ambulance is now in the former HSBC Bank.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jessops becomes another charity shop considering the incentives they have compared to businesses. Pulse seems to have sewn up most of the trade from Wow's closure, looking a lot busier in the late afternoon/evenings, so I think they'd be foolish to open another bar which might once again dilute the trade.

elgdav

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Amoore

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:10 pm

The new Metro Bank opened today on Queen Street and although it's quite a basic glass fronted building the flashy interior makes it looks very impressive and futuristic.

durhamcowboy

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 8:08 pm

So, Hollister and Gilly Hicks is moving to the Hayes side of the centre next to Luke (I think) and there’s hoarding up where the clarks unit was on the other side - does this mean Zara will take the old hollister unit?

Also Hawkins Bazaar is closing due to the firm entering in to administration. Radley has signs up to say that it too is closing down.
Last edited by durhamcowboy on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyndon

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 11:24 pm

That must be about the fourth time that Hawkins Bazaar has closed. The shop must be cursed......or indestructible.

jonnywill25

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 12:41 pm

durhamcowboy wrote:So, Hollister and Gilly Hicks is moving to the Hayes side of the centre next to Luke (I think) and there’s hoarding up where the clarks unit was on the other side - does this mean Zara will take the old hollister unit

To my knowledge, Zara are taking the entire stretch of units from Kin + Ilk down to Hollister. These units comprise of UG13/14, UG15/16, UG17 and UG18/19. I had expected Hollister to relocate to MSU05, considering how well Gilly Hicks traded from this unit, however I don't think the A&F brands have the same appeal in 2020. That being said, the new style store concept will certainly suit UG46/47 (previously DV8).

By moving to UG46/47 Hollister will be increasing their store size from 9,200 Sq Ft to 12,250 Sq Ft (Inclusive of Mezzanine)

I wonder if USC will relocate once again? I think USC would be better suited back on Queen Street now.

jonnywill25

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Jack Wills (The Hayes) is currently being marketed for let by Savills along with the unit previously occupied by Moss Bros. The units combined create 15,400 Sq Ft of retail space.

Considering Jack Wills is now owned by Mike Ashley & the 'Frasers Group' it comes as no surprise that they're surrendering their lease (despite recently expanding into the basement).

Brochure: https://www.shopproperty.co.uk/Pdf/4001 ... 259a983595

Simon_SW17

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm

New large Job Centre for the Capitol! All of the 1st floor at the Queen St station end including the old H&M and upper floors of the units next door.

https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/o ... APR_132935

I guess it's good to see some more space being repurposed but it's not very exciting (although I guess necessary post Covid). There must have been plenty of other empty office space available in town so maybe the Capitol was picked on low rent?

Unfortunately progress on converting the centre to leisure use is clearly not on track and I assume the large scale redevelopment has now been shelved.

jonnywill25

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 8:38 am

A major nail in the coffin for the UK high street, Cardiff included. ASOS have purchased the Topshop, Topman and Miss Selfridge brand identities and stock, however have not acquired the store portfolios.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... s-55884596
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum