It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 11:50 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:Looks as though the future of Howells is yet to be decided...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... r-15302046

I suspected that there landlord would go for a better offer, I'm sure Ashley is offering little to no rent.

There could still be a pared down HoF as well as a hotel in that building, or another retailer. Probably the odd bar & restaurant too. Multi use is the way forward for huge buildings like Howell's.

jonnywill25

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 4:38 pm

I’m really fond of the proposal, which has been highlighted in the following WalesOnline article!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... f-15311801

It would be great to see a new Hotel / Apart-Hotel developed in a new purpose built extension, which would overlook the new public space in the centre of the current building. A 16 floor hotel, with rooftop restaurant/bar facility would be a welcomed addition to our skyline.

I’m especially keen on this proposed reconfiguration because it would retain a sizeable retail unit on the Hayes! Hopefully, if these designs are approved, the reconfigured retail unit would be modernised.

I think it’s a really intelligent use of the space. What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

Here’s the link to the Saxbury development brochure: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... AIL%5D.pdf
Attachments
3641F333-8095-47CC-B468-9E675FB5B8EB.jpeg
Reconfigured Howells Proposal
3641F333-8095-47CC-B468-9E675FB5B8EB.jpeg (62.17 KiB) Viewed 9235 times
Last edited by jonnywill25 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm really glad that the heritage of the building is the main focus here, as well with retaining its retail presence. I LOVE how in these plans they've restored to Chapel. I'm with Jonny in believing that this is a very intelligent use of the space. I think the rooftop bar would be a great location in the city. The open space could really transform the footfall for the area.

The more I think about it the more I love it.

jonbvn

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 am

Wow. Considered appropriate sensitive development, without a student flat in sight. Are you sure this is in Cardiff? :D

Too say I like this proposal would be an understatement.

Simon__200

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:40 am

Seriously? It looks absolutely ghastly! Hope it gets filed away and is never considered again.

HalRobsonKanu

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:12 am

I like the creative way in which they’re proposing to break up the Howells building, particularly the creation of the internal courtyard and opening up the frontage of the Bethany church for the first time in generations. Potentially this could enhance rather than detract from the historic character of the area. If done properly I could imagine both the courtyard and any rooftop bars being real destination venues.

The tower block element is probably key in terms of the commercial viability of such a scheme but in this sensitive position, nestled in the midst of several Grade 2 listed buildings, the architects will need to come up with something pretty special. Clearly the images that have been released are indicative but still, a lot more work will be needed to reassure me that the developers fully appreciate the need for high quality development here. Hopefully, as it would be somewhat set-back, it would be possible to include a mid-rise hotel without any visual impact on the Victorian streetscape of St Mary Street or the view from the St Johns Church side of the building.

I'd love love to see a link through from the courtyard area to a new side entrance for the indoor market as well. Probably pie in the sky thinking though, sadly.

Amoore

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am

The plans show a recreation of the original gates that once stood there.

sebcity

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Personally I think this could be a fantastic exciting development. Yes yes yes, this is exactly what Cardiff needs more of!

jonbvn

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 am

Simon__200 wrote:Seriously? It looks absolutely ghastly! Hope it gets filed away and is never considered again.

I am entirely serious. The proposed development enhances the history of the building, with the Bethany Chapel on view.

What would you propose as an alternative?

{Tongue in cheek} More student accommodation? :lol:

Ash

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet too much but I did post this back on June 8th.

The internal space could be released by reopening the courtyard in front of Bethany Chapel (which is buried inside Howells, but more or less complete) with a short atrium/arcade joining it to the central market.

The intervention is blindingly obvious so I don't get why people are getting so excited about it. Meanwhile the hotel block is ghastly, too tall and the plan provides no connection into the Central market. Of course, it's all indicative at this stage so I'm not too bothered.

One small point though. the historic name for the square in front of Bethany is Wharton Court. Why use a made-up name when a real one exists?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum