It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Lyndon wrote:As mentioned above, there is a lot of internal, windowless space in Howells, which will make a residential/hotel conversion more difficult than in David Morgans, which had a nice, long frontage onto the Hayes.

Yes, but Howells is sort of the opposite of David Morgans in that it has a 'nice, long frontage' on Saint Mary Street.

The internal space could be released by reopening the courtyard in front of Bethany Chapel (which is buried inside Howells, but more or less complete) with a short atrium/arcade joining it to the central market.

Cwlcymro

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Ash wrote:I'm not sure what the current status is but until relatively recently the Howells estate was larger than just the current store and included the building currently housing Waterstones as well as the Borough pub.

According to Howells Wikipedia article, they did at one time own the building across the street and used it as a car selling business, but it was eventually sold to David Morgans. The House of Fraser archive site seems to suggest that when they bought Howells in 1972, they only bought the shopping business, not the car business.

Cwlcymro

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Found this picture in the House of Fraser archives, it's from 1925 and I assume the non-blurred out parts represent what Howells owned at the time

Simon__200

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Not Cardiff, but a sad announcement from our closest neighbour. It seems it's the end of the line for Wildings, Newport. An iconic store in the city since 1874.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45125457

RandomComment

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 pm

halfnhalf wrote:not sure why your so sad about department store closing in newport
doubt if you have ever been in it hahaha
me neither and probably nobody else visits anymore
that could be the reason its closin
most stuff i buy is online
how bout u

You can be sad for the people who work there; the regular shoppers, often older, who go there for "something to do" as well as buy stuff, and perhaps don't feel comfortably buying online; maybe just at a change to a world that seems more impersonal and anonymous.

Its called empathy. But, then again...

Amoore

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am

halfnhalf wrote:not sure why your so sad about department store closing in newport
doubt if you have ever been in it hahaha
me neither and probably nobody else visits anymore
that could be the reason its closin
most stuff i buy is online
how bout u

Gotta love the school holidays.

Bluegazza

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 12:35 pm

House of Fraser deal struck for 90m with Mike Ashley.

Please don't turn Howells into a sports direct!!!

Simon_SW17

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 am

Bluegazza wrote:House of Fraser deal struck for 90m with Mike Ashley.

Please don't turn Howells into a sports direct!!!

Let's hope it's still going to be sold to a luxury hotel chain.

Cwlcymro

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 pm

halfnhalf wrote:has howells store in cardiff been saved like the london branch

Not announced yet. They're in negotiations with all of their landlords and will decide on a store by store basis

Simon_SW17

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:39 pm

I see Mike Ashley is demanding much lower turnover based rents now he’s bought HoF. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Cardiff closing soon if they have interest from 5 star hotels. Can’t see them taking a huge decrease in income if there’s an alternative.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum