It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

wizard

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 12:51 am

I saw that. They'll probably have the defibrillators out at Gamlins which is less than ten metres away.

Ash

PostSun Dec 06, 2015 6:46 pm

wizard wrote:I saw that. They'll probably have the defibrillators out at Gamlins which is less than ten metres away.

Maybe, but retail is a funny old game. Sometimes having two of three similar businesses close together works to everyone's benefit drawing cutomers from a wider catchment area because of increased choice.

jonnywill25

PostSat Dec 26, 2015 9:54 pm

HMV are closing their current Queen Street store and are relocating to a smaller store! Their new location will be the old Evans unit. The move will be happening towards the end of this month/early Feb! This will leave a large vacant store on Queen Street... A shame!

Simon__200

PostSun Dec 27, 2015 3:37 am

jonnywill25 wrote:HMV are closing their current Queen Street store and are relocating to a smaller store! Their new location will be the old Evans unit. The move will be happening towards the end of this month/early Feb! This will leave a large vacant store on Queen Street... A shame!

That's awful news. Can you remind me where the old Evans unit is, please?

Rhodri

PostSun Dec 27, 2015 12:47 pm

So this would presumably open up a return to Queen St for BHS?

jonnywill25

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Simon__200 wrote:That's awful news. Can you remind me where the old Evans unit is, please?

It's to the right of Dominions Arcade! Small unit...

Rhodri wrote:So this would presumably open up a return to Queen St for BHS?

That's not a bad shout! HMV could be the right sized unit for a BHS return to the city centre.

Ash

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Rhodri wrote:So this would presumably open up a return to Queen St for BHS?

I'm not sure about that. Hasn't BHS been bought by a slightly dodgy venture capital fund? At the time people seemed to be expecting the whole chain to crash and burn pretty soon because of an underfunded pension scheme.

The way Queen Street is going the unit may well end up with a value retailer, a Wilkinsons or B&M maybe.

Karl

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 10:44 am

General news -

Unit 21 in Mermaid Quay is going to be a Greggs. I think previously it was some sort of American Candy type place.

What was Pavilion menswear in Wharton Street is re-opening as Coco Blush which I think is a ladies fashion shop.

The part of Barkers fronting High Street is to open as a gelato/dessert type place in the Spring.

RandomComment

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 11:51 am

Karl wrote:Unit 21 in Mermaid Quay is going to be a Greggs. I think previously it was some sort of American Candy type place.

It was only time, I suppose. It does fill a missing market in the area - for pies, pasties, sausage rolls, and takeaway sandwiches that are a bit fresher than Tescos at least.

Karl wrote:What was Pavilion menswear in Wharton Street is re-opening as Coco Blush which I think is a ladies fashion shop.

Women's fashion seems to do much better in Cardiff than men's. Coco Blush is a bit of a chain of 'boutiques' - which might be franchised. There are (or at least have been) stores in Bridgend, Swansea, Neath, Cowbridge, Ponty, Western-super-Mare and a few others.

Karl wrote:The part of Barkers fronting High Street is to open as a gelato/dessert type place in the Spring.

I quite liked Barkers clothing, and bought a few things in there over the years. There has been a progressive decline in independent general menswear stores in the city - what was the one that used to be in the Morgan Arcade where Pretty Green is? Speaking of which, how does that store keep going? I never see anyone in there!

Karl

PostFri Jan 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Yes Mermaid Quay has not really lived up to its original Covent Garden-on -Sea moniker. Greggs, Tesco, Ladbrokes, Subway,Costa, Starbucks.

On the other hand it is now fully let (I think). That makes it rather successful in Cardiff terms. I have mixed feelings about this. The architecture geek in me is annoyed that there is no incentive for the owners to redevelop to attract tenants which means we are stuck with the insipid architecture for the forseeable future. The normal part of me enjoys being amongst Mermaid Quay on a nice day - there is generally a very laid back yet buzzy atmosphere and it's undeniably a focus for visitors to the Bay.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum