It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 pm

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 2:31 pm

Just because it's happened before does not mean its not a phenomenon.

I think it reflects big societal changes. The old centres of social life in the Valleys were the Italian cafes and miners institutes. Both catered to an area and groups influenced by the temperance movement - even if they did drink, it was in sort of moderation. The decline in religion and mining meant the centre of life moved to the pubs and rugby clubs. Now with falls in alcohol consumption, especially among the young, and a rise in disposable income among the elderly, cafes are back again (and pubs suffering).

I think the rise and rise of coffee shops and convenience food outlets (sandwich shops, burrito bars, etc) has gone on further than people would have thought. I remember about 6 years ago analysis of the rise of coffee shops on the high street and comments about how far this could continue... and it has!

In London, at least, it seems that people increasingly purchase food/drinks from such outlets rather than bring in or make food themselves. Quite a lot of disposable income is going on these kinds of items - whereas in the past it may have gone on going to the pub, or the higher cost of durable and semi-durable goods (the falling real-terms cost of clothing and electronics has meant more room to spent on the rising cost of lattes, bento boxes, baguettes and burritos).

What could change this? Big falls in real disposable income might get people to shift back to self-prepared foods and drinks. More home-working? (Although that is a 'revolution' which is always just over the horizon). Greater competition for space on the high street from retail or A2 occupiers? (Seems unlikely).

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 5:32 pm

This research: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 78596.html, published six months ago, goes some way to explaining the phenomenon.

The rise of "eating out" is largely driven by the younger demographic.

I gave up takeaways in 2009 and I only eat out very occasionally. I cook 95% of my meals from scratch. However my son, who is in his mid 20s and a trained chef, eats out all the time. He is happy to spend his money on food rather than pissing it down the drain by visiting pubs, which remains an occasional vice for me.

jonbvn

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 7:20 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I gave up takeaways in 2009 and I only eat out very occasionally. I cook 95% of my meals from scratch. However my son, who is in his mid 20s and a trained chef, eats out all the time. He is happy to spend his money on food rather than pissing it down the drain by visiting pubs, which remains an occasional vice for me.

Personally, I like both. Nothing better than a good meal out, accompanied by a decent bottle of wine.

Amoore

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 am

Another point regarding eating out.. a lot of these apartment developments and in particular student apartments are not big enough to make cooking a meal from scratch an attractive option.

Cardiff

PostWed Apr 13, 2016 1:18 pm

These 'apartment developments' are quite varied in terms of Kitchen offerings, even just within developments, i wouldn't assume anything as i've seen some beautiful kitchens in them and some which are no bigger than a sink and area to place a microwave.

Simon__200

PostSat Apr 16, 2016 11:05 am

The student ones generally ones have a communal kitchen.

Simon_SW17

PostThu May 05, 2016 7:40 pm

There was no sign of any work on the old HMV unit last week and now finally Wilko have announced an August opening date;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/wilko-opening-new-store-cardiff-11290671

Does beg the question why HMV closed down in February.

Amoore

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 6:30 pm

HMV looks like it could be open by the weekend at a push. The signage has been up for about a week and looks pretty tidy. Shelving seems to be in place ready for stock too.

The HMV Cardiff Twitter has yet to announce a date though (although they blamed the builders on the delay in opening).

Karl

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 am

Greggs opening up in the unit next to Boots on Queen Street (I think it used to be Bank).

It's much needed - the nearest Greggs is almost 150 yards away and if that runs out of steak bakes some customers will have to waddle all the way to St John Street, a gruelling 300 yards.

Jantra

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 am

Karl wrote:Greggs opening up in the unit next to Boots on Queen Street (I think it used to be Bank).

It's much needed - the nearest Greggs is almost 150 yards away and if that runs out of steak bakes some customers will have to waddle all the way to St John Street, a gruelling 300 yards.

:mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum