It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Simon_SW17

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Home for a few days and walked through Queen's Arcade yesterday to avoid the rain. It's looking pretty empty downstairs, plus they'll be losing New Look and probably the Post Office.

What's happened to the food court plans?

Simon__200

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Kitchens Cookshop in High Street is closing.
The staff I spoke to said it was because of a dispute with the landlord who has different plans to develop the building. I don't know how true this is, since quite often "lease expiration" is used by businesses that just don't want to extend to another term.

I noticed in a recent visit that the first floor was closed and roped off, so thought this wasn't a good sign. The staff I spoke to today claimed that it was nothing to do with a failing business, and that it was because the first floor is technically part of Church Street not High Street, and that they had to vacate because the former street was being developed. Not sure I understand this.

It's a shame anyway. I really love that shop. Surely there are other locations they could move to if it was effectively an eviction.

Mr Blue Sky

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 6:31 pm

That's such a shame. It is a great shop - I bought a hand blender in there in 2008 and it's still going strong. Hopefully Kitchens will relocate but I can't see where they could be better located than they are now

RandomComment

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Simon__200 wrote:I noticed in a recent visit that the first floor was closed and roped off, so thought this wasn't a good sign. The staff I spoke to today claimed that it was nothing to do with a failing business, and that it was because the first floor is technically part of Church Street not High Street, and that they had to vacate because the former street was being developed. Not sure I understand this.

Sounds like the owner has told staff a load of baloney as that thing about High St / Church St is just non-sensical as described, and the business was in fact no longer viable (even if its still turning an accounting profit, it might not be worth keeping it going if the amount of capital tied up in stock is large. That capital could be better put to use in other ways to make more money).

Ash

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm

Howells too is in a very sorry state. Popped in today out of curiousity and former upmarket concession spaces are filled with 'Sports Direct' brands. The place was grubby, empty and, understandably, the staff seemed apathetic. Very sad. Debbenhams has had a lucky escape in my view.

In contrast, Debbenhams and John Lewis seemed reasonably busy.

Simon__200

PostThu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Looks like Magic and Mayhem in Castle Arcade has closed down. The shop is still full of stock, but is locked up with a notice on the door saying that the landlord has taken possession of the building.

Simon__200

PostWed May 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Simon__200 wrote:Looks like Magic and Mayhem in Castle Arcade has closed down. The shop is still full of stock, but is locked up with a notice on the door saying that the landlord has taken possession of the building.

Ditto for Café Minuet just opposite, and also in the next arcade along Nine Yards Café (High Street Arcade).
Three businesses like that in close proximity seems like more than a coincidence. Is it the same landlord?

RandomComment

PostWed May 29, 2019 4:50 pm

Yes. But landlords tend not to turf out tenants unless they aren't paying rent or have come to a break clause or end of lease and there is someone else willing to pay more for the unit.

Andrew J

PostWed May 29, 2019 5:38 pm

So the formerJamie's Italian in St David's is up for rent at £220k pa plus £26k pa service charge. No wonder retail and casual dining operators are closing at lightening speed

Simon_SW17

PostWed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

That's a massive amount that no-one will be able to pay in the current climate, I'm sure they'd be up for big deals in private.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum