It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 pm

Old Library/Cardiff Story

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

zygoticmynci

Old Library/Cardiff Story

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 12:08 pm

I've heard Cardiff Story is being pushed out. Apparently there are big plans... Can someone shed some light on this?

Neil

Re: Old Library/Cardiff Story

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 12:54 pm

I don't know but I'm guessing student accommodation! :lol:

redragon

PostWed Feb 11, 2015 9:56 pm

I don't think there's much truth in that...

Ash

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 am

redragon wrote:I don't think there's much truth in that...

I think this rumour stems from a call a while back by bonkers councillor Ralph Cook for the central library to move back into old bulding in order to 'save' local libraries. I don't lend it any weight myself.

Century Falcon

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 11:31 am

I vaguely recall at the end of last year reading that the budget for the Cardiff Story had been completely withdrawn by the council. It may thus be closing, regardless of what may or may not happen to the Old Library building.

I'd love to see some big plans for that building, having had many a conversation about what 'could' be done with it. One slightly wine fuelled rainy afternoon (on a sofa in the Cosy Club) had us envisioning a grand redevelopment of the St David's Hall site to include opening up the foyers into the old Habitat building with bars, restaurants and life - along the lines of the South Bank Centre - which quickly spread to include a glass atrium entirely blocking the road outside the Hall to unite the complex with the Old Library. I think we went on to involve the Hayes Island area in this grande projet (but it all becomes a bit hazy at that point...)

Then the Miller and Carter and Burger&Lobster combo went in, scuppering that plan somewhat :)

Ash

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Century Falcon wrote:I vaguely recall at the end of last year reading that the budget for the Cardiff Story had been completely withdrawn by the council. It may thus be closing, regardless of what may or may not happen to the Old Library building.

I don't think that's quite right. What they did was to transfer the Cardiff Story, Norwegian Church and the Mansion House to a new trust. I think the idea is that the Mansion House and Norwegian Church, which generate large annual surpluses, will subsidise Cardiff Story.

Here's the Wales Online piece on the move.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/we-not-giving-away-family-8513363

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum