It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

Capital Quarter

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Capital Quarter

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
RandomComment wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Sky are taking 40,000 square feet at Capital Quarter 4.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... p_AppShare

Surely it's full steam ahead with John Street now?

I'm not sure. I imagine they'll sit on their hands for the time being - for a project of this size (its bigger than anything they've built in Capital Quarter), they'll want some expressions of interest, if not at least some pre-let commitment. Plus, maybe see how the politics plays out at Westminster and any economic impacts of that too..

Given how big the Ledger building is going to be, I do wonder whether that will suck up a lot of new demand in Cardiff. I'd imagine they'd have to make John St quite competitive on price to beat that location and the broader master masterplanning of the area.

All true. Plus the mysterious company looking to occupy the interchange, the final plot at Central Square, etc.

It'll be interesting to know how much interest they have recieved for the hotel element of the tower on John Street. Would they go ahead with some commitment from a hotel company and some interest for the office space?

The tower isn't the first phase of John Street though, the smaller office on the southern plot is. It's the only part of the scheme with detailed planning permission. They only have outline permission on the mixed use office/hotel tower.

Karl

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am

There is an application in to amend the plans for John Street. Looks like the height on the tower is being increased to 99m and the height on the shorter blocks is also being increased.

I would hazard a guess that this must be in response to the requirements of proposed occupiers be it hotel or office. From memory I don't think there was any residential proposed but I could be wrong, I hope this means that work will start shortly.

amp

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 12:44 pm

In those John Street plans it also says the tower will be 102 meters as well as 99 meters. I’m confused lol.

The tower is for a hotel and office with a ground floor coffee shop. While the other is office and ground floor retail.

Kyle

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Karl wrote:There is an application in to amend the plans for John Street. Looks like the height on the tower is being increased to 99m and the height on the shorter blocks is also being increased.

I would hazard a guess that this must be in response to the requirements of proposed occupiers be it hotel or office. From memory I don't think there was any residential proposed but I could be wrong, I hope this means that work will start shortly.

Well I didn't expect that, it'll be the second change to increase the size/height as well, a pre-let maybe?

Karl

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 2:09 pm

I have had a further look at the planning app and it seems as though the footprint of the two buildings is being reduced and the height increased (so effectively remaining the same square footage). I don't know what that means in terms of pre-let. Generally increased height means more cost so would J R Smart increase the height of their own volition without at least some indication that this was a requirement of a potential tenant?

Kyle

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 6:06 am

Karl wrote:I have had a further look at the planning app and it seems as though the footprint of the two buildings is being reduced and the height increased (so effectively remaining the same square footage). I don't know what that means in terms of pre-let. Generally increased height means more cost so would J R Smart increase the height of their own volition without at least some indication that this was a requirement of a potential tenant?

Have you got the planning app reference please?

Lewisbeecham

Kyle

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:59 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_121801

Thanks

Kyle

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 10:02 am

Is it me, or are all those just documents from last year? The lastest ones are April 2018.

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 am

I couldn't find any other related planning document. Plus it should be in the related anyway.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum