It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 am

Capital Quarter

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

elgdav

Re: Capital Quarter

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 8:45 am

A tower crane is now in place at number 2

Cardiff

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 am

Interesting view

Kyle

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 11:43 am

That is an interesting view, thanks for sharing it.

Kyle

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Looks like they've picked up a tenant for the empty Number 1 Driscoll building.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/equiniti-creating-new-fintech-hub-8097349

So that's both Driscoll buildings fully occupied (number 2 has Inexus in it I think), plus a fair amount of Number 1 has tenants moving in.

Anyone heard anything about the student housing between both Driscoll buildings and the Number 1 and Number 2 plots ? I know they'd been sold to someone that intends to build the student housing element of the scheme but it's been very quiet since that was in the press.

elgdav

PostTue Dec 30, 2014 11:27 am

A new, if poor quality image

http://i.imgur.com/5MISNig.jpg

RandomComment

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 6:44 pm

Walesonline reports that JR Smart has lodged a planning application for 180 apartments in a 23 storey building at the western edge of Capital Quarter:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... ey-8550272

I can't find the application. But good news - both in progressing this scheme, and as further evidence the city/bay resi market has some form and underlying demand (to support bigger schemes like Dumballs Road).

Its not clear whether all 180 would be in the tower - that works out at 7 or 8 per floor, which is feasible. But the picture shows a lower rise as part of the scheme, which may also be true, although the total square footage of the two buildings together looks too big for 180.

Kyle

PostFri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 pm

RandomComment wrote:Walesonline reports that JR Smart has lodged a planning application for 180 apartments in a 23 storey building at the western edge of Capital Quarter:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... ey-8550272

I can't find the application. But good news - both in progressing this scheme, and as further evidence the city/bay resi market has some form and underlying demand (to support bigger schemes like Dumballs Road).

Its not clear whether all 180 would be in the tower - that works out at 7 or 8 per floor, which is feasible. But the picture shows a lower rise as part of the scheme, which may also be true, although the total square footage of the two buildings together looks too big for 180.

That's the one we were discussing on the General Developments thread a week of so ago isn't it?

Planning link here

http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_110672

Karl

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 12:57 pm

It looks as though the car park will be getting underway soon. There are a number of conditions being discharged at the moment. The car park is a bit old school but it is at the back of the site and up against the railway line so won't be that conspicuous.

The new building is about 3/4 storeys high now. I thought the student residences were due to begin soon as well, although there has been a glut of new student apartments that have come or will shortly come onto the market so perhaps this part of the project may get a rethink?

I'm hoping that the sum will be greater than the parts with this development. None of the buildings, taken individually, rise much above average but sometimes it's more about how buildings fit into a coherent streetscape. I imagine planting and public realm will be very important in this scheme.

As a general observation that part of Tyndall Street is a mess anyway. The Ibis hotel and Novotel extension are foul and the offices on the south side of Tyndall Street belong somewhere out of town or at the very least down Ocean Way. I think they were only built in the early 90's but they look really tired. With Capital Quarter being built they also look a bit anachronistic. There was an application for a 5 storey office building on one of the car parks here but I think that will just make matters worse.

Kyle

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Good news about the car park, boring yes, but an important part of the scheme and fills a gap as well.

The plots for student housing were purchased by someone weren't they, so no longer with JR Smart. I'm not sure if that company do developments other than student housing but it will be interesting to see how soon they will start as you do have a fair point about there being a glut of new student apartments - which does actually make me wonder how realistic the tower element of Central Square being student housing is as well.

If the student housing does get underway we will finally have a completed phase 1 of the project. Yes it's taken an age but at least it's almost done. With the Herbert Street apartment scheme also due to start this year it'll be a relatively busy part of the city construction wise.

RandomComment

PostFri Feb 27, 2015 1:52 pm

I think the student housing will go ahead. There is a fair amount of supply, but I'm not sure its a glut. The Atrium is expanding further (app in for replanning the floors for the extension this week), as is Cardiff, and Cardiff Met. And the yields on these student projects look good. You can build cheaply. Get away without land for car parking. And actually charge fairly high rents for what is in effect just an en-suite bedroom, with shared cooking facilities. Its more than you get in rent for the equivalent square footage of apartment space - and cheaper to build. I guess maintenance is more.. but I think its fine.

On the wider scheme, I agree the buildings haven't been great. I was disappointed with 1 capital quarter. 2 looks nice - but lets see how it turns out. But as you say, I think this is very much a scheme that will need to be judged as a whole. Does it create good spaces? Is there a coherency to the architecture? I think it could work in this regard, but will show up the other side of Tyndall St as you say. The offices do look a bit tired, but they serve a purpose - cheap, relatively central space for occupiers that don't want (and can't afford) anything too fancy. Given Cardiff's economy, we can't expect them to be replaced any time soon.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum