It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Capital Quarter

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Re: Capital Quarter

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 am

Just thinking about the Cardiff Cross Rail plans, and there is a new station planned at Herbert Street which will serve the Queen Street to Cardiff Bay line and also the new Queen Street to Central route. It is not clear exactly where it will go, but presumably just north of Herbert Street in the gap between main Capital Quarter site and John Street development.

If I was JR Smart I would offer to build the station now - although it would only be served by existing Cardiff Bay line for now. It would increase value of their development...and they could stipulate that the station be renamed Capital Quarter (like they do in Dubai).
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

elgdav

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 11:17 am

Interesting idea MsSmurf.

My best guess on the location was going to be placed south of Herbert Street in the area sandwiched between LGA on the East, Bute Street on the West, Herbert Street to the north and the little pedestrian tunnel to the South. I think it would just about fit, being slightly bigger than Cathay's station.

Msmurf

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 pm

I think it has to go to the north of Herbert Street.. because the station is shown as serving the Circle line which will cross Callaghan Square and swing north to join the existing Bay line - but not serve the Crossrail line which will turn south after Callaghan Square...

It doesnt need much platform space if accessed directly from Herbert Street.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

elgdav

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 pm

You could be right.

Herbert Street is specified as a rail and rapid transport interchange so my thoughts are that you will be getting on to a road based tram for the circle line there heading up towards the golden cross.

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Forgotten the dates but Tyndall street will be closed for two days shortly. Presuming this is the crane for the Capital Quarter tower.

Kyle

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 8:51 am

Lewisbeecham wrote:Forgotten the dates but Tyndall street will be closed for two days shortly. Presuming this is the crane for the Capital Quarter tower.

Looking forward to seeing this tower go up. I hope it ends up being a quality build and sticks closely to the artist impressions we've seen.

Thewasp

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 am

Kyle

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Thewasp wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-capital-quarter-development-flats-17369919.amp

Is this the tower you mean?

Yes

elgdav

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:59 pm

The upcoming street closure appears to the rail related, probably the bridge over Herbert Street.

elgdav

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Tower crane for the private residences going up today.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum