It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

Capital Quarter

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Capital Quarter

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:03 pm

It could still be a tower with that footprint. Note how much larger the other footprints are - most have less than 95,000 sq ft and are about 7-9 storeys tall. That diagram also agrees with the currently proposed design, which is a narrow tower, so it could still be happening.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 pm

The proposed student tower is on the "Herbert St" site. It was originally residential and then it was changed to student accomodation (16/01855/MJR):
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_117174

The image shown that's described as student accomodation the artcile is No. 5 (Block J). If you look at the attached and compare it with the render in that article, you can see it's the same building. I've seen the CGI used elsewhere describing the student scheme, but that would suggest that there are 2 student towers.

Full application for No. 4 (Block I) and No. 5 (Block J) were submitted in July 2016:
http://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online-a ... APR_117053
The planning statements and the room layouts all point to residential. I'm not aware of any revised planning application for this one.
Attachments
27930137614_bfda9d2be7_c - Copy.jpg
27930137614_bfda9d2be7_c - Copy.jpg (90.35 KiB) Viewed 11889 times

Cen

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Looking at the post above, there's no reason to suggest that at 95,000 sq ft it would have to be shorter. When compared with the other plots, it's got about half the footprint and a little over double the height with a considerably narrow section above. It should work out to be around the same square footage as the other plots, which the master plan diagram suggests.

Peiriannydd

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 pm

It could just be that the site hoarding is showing an error?

We've all said enough recently about Cardiff councillors, but there is no planning ammendments submitted for No. 5. The latest ammendments were dated October 2016. So, if they are getting ready to start construction with a radical re-design that goes against the masterplan, then they'd better get a move on and submit something soon.

Personally, I think the site is too narrow for an office buildings, based upon recent trends for office requirements. They'd have to expand the footprint and lose some of the courtyard. I don't know what their existin tennants would think about that?

I hope the tower is built because I think it's a nice design.

moyceyyy

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 am

Its probably still going to be a tower. A bigger sq/ft, with about half the footprint.

RandomComment

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:
Kyle wrote:It's a dumping ground at the moment.

It'll be another office now I think instead of a tower. This article suggests it and the sote hoardings do as well.

To be honest I don't think the plot 5 plans are any more or less clear from this article!?? - I mean they show the proposed residential tower with the caption that it's the viridis student development? But the fact that on the hoardings the masterplan shows no.5 as an office means that perhaps that residential tower is no longer proposed - which is a shame. of course the residential was originally going to be at Herbert St, so they always planned to have a residential development as part of the capiital quarter. I guess we'll just have to wait and see (along with everything else!)

I think these hoardings are out-of-date. They show the Herbert Street site as residential when it is now a student scheme. I think similarly the No. 5 plans are out of date.

moyceyyy

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:39 pm

So if the hoardings are out of date, what actually ARE the plans meant to be?

Cen

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:59 pm

There's a lot of confusing things about that diagram. The colour-coded construction status is actually relatively up to date. But then they have John Street as "Phase 1", which we know is nowhere near being started.

I'd say we shouldn't pay much attention to it. As far as the planning documents are concerned, a residential tower is planned.

We also shouldn't pay attention to anything Wales Online says, for obvious reasons.

Kyle

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 pm

I think piling is due to start any time now at the Herbert street tower site. Piles have been delivered and there's quite a few people on site.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes indeed you wait decades for something over 80metres to be built and then two come along together!!

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum