It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:55 pm

Capital Quarter

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Capital Quarter

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 am

Century Falcon wrote: I think there are covenants on the building, but am not sure on the resulting limitations or restrictions.

I think I'm right in saying that the Temple of Peace and Health (to give it its full name) is actually owned by the United Nations Asscociation. It was built as a war memorial by Lord Davies of Llandinam and gifted to the League of Nations. It's the home of the national book of remberance and was designed to compliment the National Memorial in Alexandra Gardens opposite. I should imagine that the covenants prevent any sale or change to its central purpose.

Jantra

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 10:05 pm

I passed this today and have to say I think it looks quite tidy on the front. The cladding on the side is ok and will be obstructed by other build.

With this and central square it's good to see two indigenous firms leading the main developments in the city centre.

If only the Welsh government had such an ability to get things done (callaghan square)

Kyle

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 am

Jantra wrote:I passed this today and have to say I think it looks quite tidy on the front. The cladding on the side is ok and will be obstructed by other build.

With this and central square it's good to see two indigenous firms leading the main developments in the city centre.

If only the Welsh government had such an ability to get things done (callaghan square)

It does look good doesn't it?

As for the Welsh Government at Callaghan Square it's hard to know if they've just been Government-as-usual slow in getting it going or have listened to the appeals from the owner of Rightacres not to start it yet. In fairness they were pretty good in stepping in to help out JR Smart to actually get Number 1 completed and Number 2 off the ground.

Cen

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 am

I don't actually mind that much. We have two huge schemes under development and it would help both JR Smart and Rightacres get their projects finished. I'd rather have two completed schemes than three half-finished ones!

Plus, waiting allows the government to assess the demand for their offices in such a prime location. If demand is still high, then bigger buildings would be necessary, and we might get one or two talls... 8-)

Kyle

PostWed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Bit of an update letting wise at Number 1

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/wsp-parsons-brinckerhoff-unveils-ambitious-9930325

The article is focused mainly around WSP Parson Brinckerhoff, who I knew had taken space there along with Finance Wales and Alert Logic but it also mentions the building is now 2/3 full and that Network Rail have also taken space on the first floor. Good news for the whole development.

It would be good to know what's going on with the NHS in Wales taking up space and if it's in this building or the under construction Number 2. It was mentioned by someone further up the thread I think ?

Karl

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 2:27 pm

Went past Capital Quarter the other day and was pleased to note that the building currently under construction actually resembles the render! It looks decent quality and for the first time I can imagine how the scheme will knit together. I was worried, after No 1 was built, that it was going to turn into a hotch potch of mediocrity a la Callaghan Square, but there is a good possibility that the sum of Capiotal Quarter will be greater than it's parts.

Cen

PostSat Sep 05, 2015 12:12 am

I seem to be the only one on this forum that appreciates No 1.
I personally think it does a good job of representing what's inside - a high tech security company. The silver cladding and darkened glass give this effect. It is also complemented by No 2, so as a full scheme I think it will look great.

Century Falcon

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 9:22 am

Kyle wrote:It would be good to know what's going on with the NHS in Wales taking up space and if it's in this building or the under construction Number 2. It was mentioned by someone further up the thread I think ?

Sorry for the delay on this - as far as I know, Public Health Wales are still planning on occupying the top three floors of number 2. I think there was a meeting to sign the lease last week but I've heard no more since.

Kyle

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 6:54 am

Century Falcon wrote:
Kyle wrote:It would be good to know what's going on with the NHS in Wales taking up space and if it's in this building or the under construction Number 2. It was mentioned by someone further up the thread I think ?

Sorry for the delay on this - as far as I know, Public Health Wales are still planning on occupying the top three floors of number 2. I think there was a meeting to sign the lease last week but I've heard no more since.

Thanks

Hopefully there'll be something official announced soon. Hopefully we'll also hear something about the rest of the scheme soon. The car park is well underway but it would be nice to hear about a start date for the apartments and the plots between them and number 2.

RandomComment

PostFri Oct 02, 2015 11:54 am

Is the student resi scheme between 1&2 and the Driscoll buildings under construction yet?

I imagine it might be a little while before 3, 4, 5, and 6 get built. The outline planning permission is for buildings of 65k, 105k, 110k and 70k, respectively, arranged around a central courtyard. The plan is for more offices, a hotel, and some kind of educational facility. I don't think residential forms part of their plans for the main site (although of course, there is the proposed tower across the old canal).

With offices, we've gone from famine to feast really. With the forward-funding of Central Square, we'll probably see something like 250,000 square feet on top of the 130,000 square foot nearly-finished 1 Central Square by late 2017/early 2018 (not forgetting the 150,000 square foot BBC building). And there will still be further space on that site, on the St Davids House site. This, will likely mop up most the prime demand. And JR Smart's own site on Callaghan Square / John Street will probably be more attractive to office occupiers than Capital Quarter, being that bit closer to the station. So Capital Quarter will have to look one peg down (like the NHS deal) to fill further offices I think.

Central Square also proposed hotel use, which will also make it harder for JR Smart to get a hotelier on board. Again, something more mid-market/budget seems likely. And Educational facilities.. well, they clearly missed out on Cardiff and Vale College. Maybe if Glam want to expand again? But surely they'd look to purchase the Adam Street site if they did.

So unless we get a surge of inward investment with fairly large requirements, I don't really see the demand for all this new space. And Capital Quarter would seem the slightly weaker link in terms of location, although it has the benefit of an energetic developer.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum