It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:48 pm

Capital Quarter

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Re: Capital Quarter

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi everyone, been following the forum for a few years now but I've never posted before. However, I stumbled across some activity at Capital Quarter and felt it was time I posted! There's a pile driver on Block K, the multi-storey car park and possibly some activity on Block J, the taller building of the scheme. Perhaps this scheme is moving along faster than we originally thought?

I have an image I can post but have no idea how to do it!

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi Cen - and welcome to the forum! thanks for that info, gonna have to take a walk that way on friday.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostFri Apr 17, 2015 9:29 am

Cen wrote:Hi everyone, been following the forum for a few years now but I've never posted before. However, I stumbled across some activity at Capital Quarter and felt it was time I posted! There's a pile driver on Block K, the multi-storey car park and possibly some activity on Block J, the taller building of the scheme. Perhaps this scheme is moving along faster than we originally thought?

I have an image I can post but have no idea how to do it!

Welcome, always nice to see other people on here.

I expected the car park to start soon-ish but block J is the one I'm really curious about, especially when we could have a start on the neighbouring apartment scheme the other side of the feeder canal (the apartments with the 20 odd floor tower).

The student apartment scheme is due to start in the summer as well. It's going to be a busy place soon I think.

Kyle

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 3:37 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/capital-quarter-scheme-cardiff-investment-9079768

I wonder if the above article is somehow linked with them starting work on phase 2 ? When you think about it they developed the two Driscoll Buildings and Number 1 speculatively so having now sold both these buildings, Number 1 to the Welsh Government and the two Student Housing blocks a few months ago they might have enough cash in the bank to get on with the car park and the apartment scheme.

I'm still really curious about any potential work going on at plot J though, that's got planning permission for a building of over 100,000sq ft. Maybe it's just being used as part of developing the new car park.

Cen

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah I was a bit surprised to see anything going on there at all. It might have been nothing, or just preparing the land around the car park like you say. I do wonder whether all of the news about Central Square is motivating them to get their scheme built first while there is still demand for office and residential space. They do say in the article that they like to build speculatively...

sweetfeet

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 4:57 pm

They are pile driving on the site of the MS car park so looks like that's definitely started.

Kyle

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Any sign of any activity at the student housing site at plots C, D, E and F.

I noticed a discharge of conditions entry in last week's planning apps, hopefully a sign that they are about to start.

sweetfeet

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 pm

No sign of activity on the student accommodation yet, but they are putting cladding on the new office building. I have a photo if someone can remind me how to post it.

sweetfeet

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Here's my photo Image

Kyle

PostThu Jun 11, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks Sweetfeet, it's progressing nicely isn't it?

It's going to be finished before we know it.

Regarding the student housing I had read that the new owners of the plots intended to begin in the summer this year so hopefully there will be a start soon. It's taken some time but that will mean all of phase 1 being complete or in progress construction wise.

I know the car park is on it's way but it would be good to hear some news on the other plots in phase 2 this year, plus I wonder when those apartments near Herbert Treet bridge will begin construction?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum