It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Porth Teigr

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Porth Teigr

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 4:56 pm

I don't think we have a thread specifically for Porth Teigr/Roath Basin on the new forum so thought I'd create one seeing as it's been in the news today, specifically the possibility of a second Gloworks building.

Not alot said other than they are considering it mind !

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/welsh-government-considering-new-creative-9104063

Also, elsewhere within the development it someone posted the other day that the first phase of 100 or so homes will be going up.

RandomComment

Re: Porth Teigr

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 11:03 pm

Plans seemed to have stalled as development shifted from the Inner Harbour area of the bay towards the centre/enterprise zone, and to a lesser extent on the resi front, to Ferry Road peninsula. The idea of a second Glo building was first mentioned as "coming soon" 3 years ago. 2 hotels were also mentioned back then too.

Its picking up a bit now, but 100 homes, and another 35k square feet of space isn't going to get me excited. There is something like 1000 homes, and up to 1m k of commercial space planned here. Still, I guess everything has to start with baby steps.

Kyle

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 8:56 am

That has been my concern until recently, it had all gone very very quiet. I wondered whether they were holding off on doing anything else while waiting on the BBC Wales relocation decision, that could have been a big boost to this development. So these two recent bits of news are a sign of them getting on with things, but yes I do agree it's two baby steps.

Karl

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 am

There is an application for A3 use relating to part of the ground floor of glo works. I'm not sure if this is just to establish the principle of A3 usage for later developments or there is a restaurant operation lined up already. Would seem an odd place to go for a meal at present.

The article states that glo works is now fully let. I wasn't aware that this was the case and my understanding was that there was a struggle to find occupiers. Assuming the WM are right (a big assumption) this is really good news and I hope the 2nd building gets going soon.

I'm not that concerned at how long it's taking. It was always going to be a long term project. Whats been built so far is quality. I'm willing to wait and see the quality maintained and the masterplan adhered to rather than a rush to build.

RandomComment

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 11:53 am

Part of the ground floor has always been labelled as a cafe. So maybe this does mean they have a tenant? There must be a decent amount of footfall nearby right - the Dr Who experience, if they can be tempted 50m off the direct route. And the BBC production site.

And, its been mostly let for a fair while now - largely to two big tenants. They were struggling with the last few thousand square feet. Looks like one of the big tenants has taken it on.

Ash

PostFri Apr 24, 2015 12:54 pm

I had heard that Chapter were going to operate the cafe in GloWorks. I think it's more of a catering contract / concession than a commercial tenancy.

Cardiff

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Latest work and proposal at Porth Teigr

They have been developing a little park

Image20160404_160900 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

This has been put up next to the Glow Works

Image20160404_161016 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

Image20160404_161025 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

Image20160404_161033 by Stephen Anstiss, on Flickr

Cant say i'm too impressed, especially as it doesnt follow any of the two other wacky designs. Looks very 60's to me. That last render also has those floating offices, good location i think until a ship comes in!

Jantra

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 5:12 pm

I quite like it. If the dock side ends up like the image then that would be a nice high density waterfront.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Like most developments, I think it will depend entirely on the quality of the materials and finishes. Hopefully, they'll be high-spec.

penarth bloke

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Jantra wrote:I quite like it. If the dock side ends up like the image then that would be a nice high density waterfront.

My main criticism of the whole Cardiff Bay development has been that it feels sterile and windswept and lacking energy in many parts as well as very ordinary design. It also feels too North American. I've always said that it needed bulk and this development could partly address this.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum