It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

Porth Teigr

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cardiff

Re: Porth Teigr

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Igloo regeneration went into administration and the council have taken back control of the land i believe. There are no plans for this at the moment, thought the signs have been changed recently. Would be nice if they just grassed it over for wildlife, but the eastern part (opposite Adventurers quay) keeps having the trees cut down when they get too big.

HMS Cambria was never going to be that good looking, its always the difference between a concept render and an actual render.

Thewasp

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 9:31 pm

Is that the same building as the museum with a proposed 8k 4d interactive mega science thing?!

Cardiff

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm

No that isnt part of Porth Teigr, its next door in Britannia Park by Norwegian Church

Kyle

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 1:47 pm

Why did the homes not go ahead though, didn't they get planning permission? Wasn't it just the fact Igloo went under as has been said above? It would be a great site for some private rental schemes and more GloWorks like buildings. As far as GloWorks is concerned, didn't it let well? The Welsh Government were going to build another if I remember, but again maybe it was caught up in the problems with Igloo?

It's a shame, some of the plans were really nice.

I can't help but feel that the focus shift to the city centre development wise, in particular Central Square and Capital Quarter dominated so much that schemes like this and Capital Waterside just paused.

Brian62

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Igloo regeneration are still a going concern, they were in the press the other week for banning meat on expenses. Theyre still working on stuff elsewhere in the UK.
I thought it was the Welsh government having a falling out with Igloo. I did hope something was happening when I saw workmen but it was just the new signs going up.

lucky

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm

As one of the "nimbies", I didn't fancy a 23 storey residential development with no extra parking, for starters. It was totally out of kilter for the area and would have left the park in shadow. But I'd have welcomed it on some of that spare brownfield that hasn't yet been developed at all - and where they could provide adequate parking. I don't get why people want to crowd the already stuffed Inner Bay when there's all that land nearby.

Cardiffbay

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 5:29 pm

lucky wrote:As one of the "nimbies", I didn't fancy a 23 storey residential development with no extra parking, for starters. It was totally out of kilter for the area and would have left the park in shadow. But I'd have welcomed it on some of that spare brownfield that hasn't yet been developed at all - and where they could provide adequate parking. I don't get why people want to crowd the already stuffed Inner Bay when there's all that land nearby.

Totally agree. These people were not nimbies they are people trying to save a small piece of parkland that is used by kids and adults alike. There is plenty of spaces for towers in Porth Teigr as well as the unused spot next next to ITV.

cardiffian

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:37 pm

but they where okay with their own residences being built, that could have been parkland too.....

this it exactly what nimbyism is, but don't complain when your area stays as a derelict wasteland because you want to define where things can or can't be built

Cardiff

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 8:55 pm

I had no objection to the tower, my concern as a resident of the area was our only piece of greenery for a significant distance was going to be in shadow most of the day and diminished in size when there is a huge amount of undeveloped land nearby more suitable for large developments, if it was all developed and then Dolphin Quay was proposed I would have not objected to it as much. As great as Cardiff bay is to live we do lack basic amenities like parks.

lucky

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 1:18 pm

cardiffian wrote:but they where okay with their own residences being built, that could have been parkland too.....

this it exactly what nimbyism is, but don't complain when your area stays as a derelict wasteland because you want to define where things can or can't be built

When our flats were built, the entire area was derelict wasteland and mud flats. It was planned to have a reasonable balance between buildings and open spaces, not cram 23 storey buildings onto one of the last remaining green bits. So you can take your nimbyism and put it somewhere relatively underdeveloped :roll: .
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum