It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:00 am

A4232 through the bay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Roberthughjones

A4232 through the bay

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Having spent the last year or so looking to move to the bay and finally moving into Watermark it strikes me that the one thing nobody mentions is the noise generated by the traffic crossing the Taff on the A4232.
One of the reasons for choosing Watermark is that is is fairly quiet as it is sheltered by the Bellway development , compared with say property around the Clarence road bridge area where the traffic roar is very noticeable.
The first time we went to view a property at the end of Windsor terrace we got out of the car and thought "what the F... Is that" as we were blasted with sound from the bridge . We didn't even view the property getting straight back in the car ! We found that generally speaking anything we viewed north of the bridge up the Taff was noisy as were parts of the Penarth side along the river Ely.

We viewed property all round the bay and it's amazing how far the traffic noise travels. Now I don't mind noise having lived 2 miles from Stansted airport where we could hear the sound of the M11 24/7 which was 5 miles away as well as jets overhead but I wonder if the environment of the bay, which we love, is in certain areas which are not sheltered by buildings etc spoiled by the noise. In Port talbot the M4 limit is 50 mph to reduce the noise for the residents living by the elevated section and I can't think why there isn't a similar limit over the A4232 as it crosses the Taff . £2,500,000,000 has been spent so far on the bay development but is this a question of a halfpenny's worth of tar spoiling what that huge investment has brought to Cardiff etc.

Jantra

Re: A4232 through the bay

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 8:47 pm

When you live in an area you get used to the ambient noise Although I do agree it carries quite far. I live on penarth marina/old docks and can hear the traffic.

Roberthughjones

PostSun Apr 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Having just read my own post I realised I had failed to mention the point I wanted to make ! This was why is the speed limit on the bridge 70mph when it's over water with no way of preventing the noise travelling far and wide over the water, extending the 50mph limit from the Queens Gate tunnel would be not too complicated to ease this. As we all accept a 70 mph limit means 80-85 in real life. Note to self never post after a 4 hr lunch in an Italian in the bay !!

murfilicious

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:12 am

You want to reduce the speed limit on an elevated, purpose-built dual carriageway with no pedestrians allowed on it simply to reduce some of the 'rumble' affecting people in the nearby flats?
While we're at it, why not add a bus lane and some speed bumps?

Cardiff is a difficult enough city to drive around as it is, lets not start reducing speed limits for silly reasons. I recently moved to a house quite close to Llantrisant Road and I was initially surprised at the noise from the road, 4 months on I don't notice it unless I have the window open
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

lucky

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:29 am

The dual carriageway over the water does allow pedestrians. It's how us inner Bay folks get to Aldi's. But a bus lane and buses would be even better, thanks for the suggestion.

Roberthughjones

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Interestingly on the western side of the M25 they have introduced a variable speed limit at peak congestion times, this is usually 50mph or 40 mph depending on the traffic. Research has shown surprisingly that this increases the speed and volume of the traffic flowing along this stretch of the motorway due to the fact that the traffic isn't continually braking or accelerating madly ( assisted by the fact that lane changing is banned) thus all flows more smoothly. As a bonus air pollution is reduced. So yes would be my answer to your question. Variable speed limits are now being introduced on congested parts of the motorway network for these reasons.

Jantra

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 3:56 pm

You think the a4232 is congested. I don't I think it's perfectly fine as it is.

Zach

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 6:09 pm

I have walked across the bridge a few times and the noise level is horrendous. I feel sorry for those who live nearby, but you probably get used to it.
It does amuse me on the speed limits, the whole A4232 should be 50mph as there are blind bends and no hard shoulder.

Trying to drive to Newport yesterday, Rover way closed, Windsor road bridge closed, Newport road had it road works, J33 roadworks. Are we waste our breath on the Cardiff Metro, they can't even get the roads in and out of Cardiff organised.

Linc

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Hey, we could reduce speed limits down to 20mph and have a man/woman with a red flag walking in front of each car.....? Come to think of it, forget it. Someone would complain about the noise of 'flapping flags'......
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you have only today

Ash

PostMon Apr 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Linc wrote:Hey, we could reduce speed limits down to 20mph and have a man/woman with a red flag walking in front of each car.....? Come to think of it, forget it. Someone would complain about the noise of 'flapping flags'......

Wow - you can walk 20mph? Impressive!
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum