It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 am

M4 Relief Road

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: M4 Relief Road

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 11:24 am

DaiB wrote:North Wales is hardly 'cut-off' economically speaking. It's closely linked with the economy of North West England, in the same way that South Wales is closely linked with the economy of the M4 corridor. This arrangement works well for many parts of both areas, and artificially attempting to forge a link between the two by spending vast amounts of money on the road links between the two would, I venture, make very little difference to either region in reality.

None of this makes either area any less 'Welsh', it's just a consequence of Wales' geography and settlement patterns. Surely the most sensible and pragmatic way to approach investment is to build on the existing economic strengths of both North and South Wales, not swim against the tide in trying to join them together.

How can any linkage be artificial when we live in the same country? There are plenty of dual carriageways through mountains in the UK and all over the world. I think that it should be easy for people in Wales to travel from one end of their country to the other, because at the moment it is difficult.

There is an ongoing attempt to anglicise Wales, being conducted by the UK government with the full support of the Labour and Conservative parties. If that is what you want, fair enough. I don't, having lived in England for over 20 years I want Wales to be less anglicised.

http://dailywales.net/2015/03/26/labour ... h-england/

Jantra

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 11:27 am

The daily Wales - plaid's very own mouthpiece.

clearly the danes and swedes are forlock tuggers too. To whom is anyone's guess but since they built the viaduct over the oresund sound connecting malmo with Copenhagen rather than looking inward connecting Copenhagen say with jutland and malmo with gotland you can only assume they have no national pride Just like us Welsh.

LocalLurker

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 12:09 pm

Can we South Walians secede from the North with the Brecon Beacons (we get Pen y Fan) and Loughor as a border. We can stop having their chippy nationalism, ruralism and dead language rammed down our throats then

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Jantra wrote:The daily Wales - plaid's very own mouthpiece.

clearly the danes and swedes are forlock tuggers too. To whom is anyone's guess but since they built the viaduct over the oresund sound connecting malmo with Copenhagen rather than looking inward connecting Copenhagen say with jutland and malmo with gotland you can only assume they have no national pride Just like us Welsh.

There are two bridges over the Severn!

And those two Scandinavian countries are sovereign nations who can determine their own policies and have autonomy. Wales is still largely controlled by England, to England's advantage.

Local Lurker: I am from Cardiff, born and bred and don't speak Welsh.

And isn't it great that someone set up Daily Wales as an alternative to the London-controlled media, to speak up for Wales?
Give those guys a medal.

LocalLurker

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 3:28 pm

I don't care where you're from, my point still stands. I have more in common with those in Bristol and Swindon than those in Bala and St Asaph. I do most of my business with those along the M4, use the same language and share the same interests on the whole, apart from international day, but I digress.

Heathrow getting a 3rd runway and Cardiff having a direct train line to Heathrow is far more important to the Welsh economy instead of some fantasy highway between South and North and Air Ieaun. We need to be more outward looking in our perspective to drive our economy forward.

Jantra

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Wales can determine it's own policies with regards the roads.

Enjoy the match

Ash

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 pm

LocalLurker wrote:Can we South Walians secede from the North with the Brecon Beacons (we get Pen y Fan) and Loughor as a border. We can stop having their chippy nationalism, ruralism and dead language rammed down our throats then

I am a fifth generation Cardiffian, born and bred. I, and every one else in my family, use that 'dead language' that you speak of - which, incidently brings huge economic benefits to our city. We use English as well, of course and enjoy living in the bilingual, multicultural city which is our home.

As for the Welsh language being rammed down 'our' throats. Twenty per cent of Cardiffians chose WM Education for their children. Do you want to deny them that choice? Who's doing the ramming here?

With respect, I think it's you who's displaying some chippy (British) nationalism.

Neil

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 9:00 am

Anyway, back to the replacement for the Newport Bypass....... :)

SPACCI

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 9:37 am

Looks like Edwina's ineptitude and Westminster's ignorance have locked us out of the European Transport Network. The M4 and A55 both lead to direct routes to Ireland from Holyhead, Fishguard, Pembroke Dock and Swansea all if which take less time to get to Ireland than Liverpool. Pathetic showing from both our Governments http://dailywales.net/2015/03/30/wales- ... t-network/

Simon__200

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Scrapped! Well, at least the black route is.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48512697

Probably the right decision, and a very brave one by Mark Drakeford, a poison chalice left to make by him from the retiring Carwyn Jones.

I know people will go on about the millions already spent on consultations and surveys, but throwing good money at bad is never wise.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum