It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

2017 Champions League Final

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: 2017 Champions League Final

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 1:02 pm

Admin Paul wrote:That doesn't sound very promising regarding the resurfacing. It's a shame if this development isn't earmarked to be completed in time for this big game, surely it is the biggest game the millennium stadium will ever stage? Presently the entrances on this side which should be the 'flagship' entrance to the stadium, are pretty uninspiring. Still over the moon that we've landed this gig - but wonder whether the fantastic venue that is the millennium stadium needs a 'bit of icing' on it!

Actually, you have to now question that whole development even starting before the match unless they get a move on in the next six months, plus get an operator signed up for the hotel. Nothing happens quickly in this country so I can't see it.

As far as the existing surface etc is concerned I wouldn't worry about it. I remember being outside the stadiums in Lisbon in Euro 2004 and there was actual rubble not a million miles from one of the grounds. That's a major tournament where the ground was used for group matches as well as the final.

This is just one game. There'll be more focus on other infrastructure issues I think. I'd be more concerned by the state of the M4 around Newport, enough flights being put on and how Central Square will actually look at that time.

Admin Paul

Site Admin

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Yes fair point Kyle - I went to the San Siro when Wales got beaten 4-0. If you see the San Siro on TV it looks very impressive but actually it was a very shoddy stadium!! and the entrance we went in was no better than the old ninian park! (ok slight exageration!) Not a very pleasant experience at all for the Welsh that went to this game - regardless of the result. Our set up in Cardiff knocks spots off it in every way (including our police or stewards having greater objection to visiting fans being urinated on by fans in the stand immediately above!) whilst I'm on the subject (although somewhat off topic) Milan is the *least friendly city I've been to - great cathedral though!

*mind you it's the only city I've been to where some of it's hosts p****d on me - call me old fashioned but this may have swayed my opinion against the place!! :lol:

Karl

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Looking at the WM report on the proposed developments at the Westgate St entrance of the Milstad it does say that work could commence in 2017

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... ns-9335849

This suggests that it will not start until after the Champions Legaue Final which will be at the start of June 2017. I suppose this allows time for planning apps, DCfW involvement, getting a hotel operator on board etc althpugh it's disappointing that this key site will remain a bit of s shit tip for the next 3 years at least.

Zach

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 4:28 pm

The greed has started!!

1 bedroom "Junior" :lol: Apartment.
Friday night and Saturday night
Off Fitzhamon Embankment.

£5,200 :shock:

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Hotel-Search? ... C-3.175630

Whatever happened to the idea of mooring a cruise ship in Alexandra Basin?
Instead they are pitching loads of tents in Pontcanna for £125 a pop.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:15 pm

You'd have to be off your trolley to pay those sort of prices!

What's the bet that many sensible people will stay in Bristol and catch a train over for a fraction of the price? That way they'll be closer to a better airport that offers more routes.

That said, most of the stands will be filled with suits on corporate piss ups, so they probably will pay stupid prices. Seriously, how many real fans can afford to go to events like this?

Zach

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:32 pm

What's the bet that many sensible people will stay in Bristol and catch a train over for a fraction of the price? That way they'll be closer to a better airport that offers more routes.

Yes I thought this too, but when I had a look for Bristol availability/prices it seems so did everyone else!!

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Perhaps those who are desperate will try their luck in Swansea. :lol:

Bishop84

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Zach wrote:The greed has started!!

1 bedroom "Junior" :lol: Apartment.
Friday night and Saturday night
Off Fitzhamon Embankment.

£5,200 :shock:

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Hotel-Search? ... C-3.175630

Whatever happened to the idea of mooring a cruise ship in Alexandra Basin?
Instead they are pitching loads of tents in Pontcanna for £125 a pop.

A cruise ship will be docked at Newport for the match. The lock for the Cardiff docks is to small for most of the current ships.

Jantra

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 10:33 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Perhaps those who are desperate will try their luck in Swansea. :lol:

The lack of running water, electricity and the fact you need 1.21 gigawatts at 88mph to leave the place may put people off.

Zach

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Isn't this the secret reason for building the lagoon. Knowing swansea they will wire it back to front and end up going further back.

PS did you know the 3 phase grid connection into swansea was wired back to front. Motors go round the wrong way.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum