It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

2017 Champions League Final

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ben In London

Re: 2017 Champions League Final

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:You'd have to be off your trolley to pay those sort of prices!

What's the bet that many sensible people will stay in Bristol and catch a train over for a fraction of the price? That way they'll be closer to a better airport that offers more routes.

That said, most of the stands will be filled with suits on corporate piss ups, so they probably will pay stupid prices. Seriously, how many real fans can afford to go to events like this?

Transport in and around Cardiff will be pandemonium. Having been to three of these things I can tell you that the security is insane. The roads are a nightmare. Anyone staying too far outside Cardiff will face incredible hassle getting in and out of the city. If you're going to the Champions Festival I'd advise you walk there and back if possible.

Zach

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Lets see how well Cardiff and South Wales transport handles Fridays night match against Ireland.
I predict manic streets and motorway and trains!!!

Zach

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Another manic Friday on the roads in and around Cardiff.
Any single incident seems to cause wide spread chaos as each road is at 100% capacity.
This evening there were 4 separate serious incidents.
I had to drive to Newport and back for work and it took me over 3 hours.

The plan for the finals weekend seems to be close even more roads and tell people to avoid Cardiff.

Road closures

To get the city ready for what is described as its biggest ever event, there will be road closures across the city from this month until up to two weeks after the final.

Ahead of the event, all details of road closures have been published for the first time.

They will see:

24-hour road closures around the stadium, which also stretch from North Road right down to Cardiff Bay
Roads in Cardiff Bay closed for four days
Cowbridge Road East between Bute Park and the stadium is closed for five days

The FAW recommends avoiding travelling to Cardiff on 3 June unless the journey is essential.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 12:19 am

“Up to 170,000 football fans will be travelling to the city for what will be the single-biggest sporting event of 2017.”

"It won't be like normal events, like the rugby, 95% will never have been to Cardiff before and, if it's two continental teams, there will be a language barrier as well," added Supt Furnham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-39457792

Don’t they realise there are only 74,000 seats in the stadium? Why would people from outside the area turn up without a ticket? It's not as if Cardiff will be cheap that weekend and we don't have the hotel capacity.

Hopefully, they won't be any Russion teams involved as we don't want all of those turds that went to France showing up in Cardiff! Seriously, we're making inroads into getting Cardiff looking half tidy, we don't want a bunch of aresholes trashing the place.

Jantra

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 am

I would be amazed if any Russian teams play in Cardiff. The quarter finals are as follows:

Borussia Dortmund v Monaco
Juve v Barca
Atletico v Leicester
Bayern v Real Madrid

however, as this is uefa, it is quite possible a russian team could still play in the final.

Personally, I'd like to see a Dortmund v Bayern final. The Germans make a great atmosphere at football, better than most.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 am

Peiriannydd wrote:“Up to 170,000 football fans will be travelling to the city for what will be the single-biggest sporting event of 2017.”

"It won't be like normal events, like the rugby, 95% will never have been to Cardiff before and, if it's two continental teams, there will be a language barrier as well," added Supt Furnham.

Don’t they realise there are only 74,000 seats in the stadium? Why would people from outside the area turn up without a ticket? It's not as if Cardiff will be cheap that weekend and we don't have the hotel capacity.

Hopefully, they won't be any Russion teams involved as we don't want all of those turds that went to France showing up in Cardiff! Seriously, we're making inroads into getting Cardiff looking half tidy, we don't want a bunch of aresholes trashing the place.

It was the English who spoilt France 2016. I was there for a couple of weeks and every French person I spoke to despised the English hooligans. The Russians were trained thugs who made the English yobs look like what they truly are: fat, unfit, drunken, racist bullies. The Uk (English) media created a less than impartial narrative that sought to deflect criticism from the English, who without doubt were the arses who kicked everything off, just like they did in France 98.

I went to the Wales v Russia match in 2009 and witnessed a dust up between Russian teenage ultras and Valleys 'roiders outside the City Arms. Despite being half the size of the Welsh yobs the Russians were clearly trained in the martial arts. It only lasted 30 seconds but was a dishonourable draw. Hopefully last year's humiliation will shame English hooligans into curbing their disgraceful behaviour but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Peiriannydd

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:“Up to 170,000 football fans will be travelling to the city for what will be the single-biggest sporting event of 2017.”

It was the English who spoilt France 2016. I was there for a couple of weeks and every French person I spoke to despised the English hooligans. The Russians were trained thugs who made the English yobs look like what they truly are: fat, unfit, drunken, racist bullies. The Uk (English) media created a less than impartial narrative that sought to deflect criticism from the English, who without doubt were the arses who kicked everything off, just like they did in France 98.

I went to the Wales v Russia match in 2009 and witnessed a dust up between Russian teenage ultras and Valleys 'roiders outside the City Arms. Despite being half the size of the Welsh yobs the Russians were clearly trained in the martial arts. It only lasted 30 seconds but was a dishonourable draw. Hopefully last year's humiliation will shame English hooligans into curbing their disgraceful behaviour but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Couldn't agree more regarding the English "fans". I also think that the Russians' presence had little to do with football. They are trained thugged who were there for violent confrontation.

The big difference is that our police know the identity of the local hooligans, share intelligence and can spot them well in advance. We don't know who half of these Russians are and let's be honest, given the current political climate, the Russian authorities really don't want to cooperate with anyone.

But I would also like to see 2 foreign teams (just not Russians) come and enjoy Cardiff without trashing the place. Hopefully, we can show rest of the European football community again that we're not like our arsehole neighbours (the English) and encourage more tourism and business to Cardiff.

Jantra

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I was in france for all 6 games. What you have described just didn't happen. The English we met were brilliant, real football fans. Loads of drinking, loads of banter and a great time had by all. What you describe just didn't happen.

As for Russians outside of city arms. I find it hard to believe that spetsnaz would turn up in cardiff for a football match.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Jantra wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

I was in france for all 6 games. What you have described just didn't happen. The English we met were brilliant, real football fans. Loads of drinking, loads of banter and a great time had by all. What you describe just didn't happen.

As for Russians outside of city arms. I find it hard to believe that spetsnaz would turn up in cardiff for a football match.

I personally saw two nights of English fans causing fights. Maybe you missed the three days of rioting in Marseille. Try not to believe that your personal experiences trump or negate actual reality. If you find this happening often, contact a medical professional and cease taking any drugs, prescribed or otherwise

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... nd-8159245
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ampionship
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... gland-fans

NorthCityBoy

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm not sure why anyone would be expecting any trouble?? Apart from the rare odd occasion, you really don't see it at football nowadays. Plus it's a Champions League Final not a major tournament. And regardless of which of the teams in the quarter finals get there, there won't be any bother at all. I'd would bet that there would be substantially less arrests over the whole weekend than there would be in one day of a Welsh rugby game.

I'm really looking forward to the weekend that it's on. The biggest club match in the beautiful game right on our doorstep. I know it's obvious but I would just love a Real v Barca final. Just hope the sun is shining to show our capital at its best.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum