It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:15 pm

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Jennifer

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm definitely putting my money oncArdiff being a real powerhouse of a city in the not too distant future. It really needs to continue this momentum hopefully reaching break way speed. Too long has the neglect and shackles had a negative impact on the economy.

Wales really needs to push forward with other proposals in the pipeline:

M4 relief Road (needed like a fish needs water)
Tidal lagoons
Eastern bay link/dualling of rover way to continue all the way to the A48
New road from M4 toArdiff airport. Too long has it been that Bristol is poaching Welsh passengers that should be using Cardiff airport.
Continual lobbying for independence on setting air passenger duty.
attracting some major blue-chip companies into the area

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 2:08 pm

I reluctantly live and work in Bristol and whilst there's been an awful lot of talk about some of those developments, it's largely remained just that, talk. I'm not seeing too many tower cranes going up in the city centre just yet.

There is a lot going on around the old Filton airfield and Rolls Royce site, but not much going on in the city centre. Temple Quay and the whole redevelopment of Temple Meads Station has stalled. What's happening to the Arena? Are Bristol Uni talking that site occupied by the old parcel-sorting office? That's been an eyesore for years and years!

Not electrifying the line up to Temple Meads will hurt too.

You can add to your Cardiff list:
-Arms Park Redevelopment / WRU Westgate St Redevelopment
-Bayscape Phase 2
-Callaghan Sq. John St
-Capitol Shopping Centre redevelopment
-Caradog House (student)
-Cardiff Bay Misc. Refurbishments (Coal Exchange, HSBC building)
-Cardiff Met University – Student accommodation and technology campus
-Cardiff Parkway
-Cardiff University student accommodation (this one went out for expressions of interest a few weeks ago)
-Cardiff Parkway (Linked to the Compound Semi-Conductor Cluster)
-City Road No.13-14
-City Road No.21-27
-City Road No.199-203
-Custom House St student tower
-Ely Paper Mill site
-Porth Teigr/Roach Basin (Incl. Box City)
-Plasdwr Scheme (Cardiff’s new £2Billion Garden City)
-Royal Navy training school (HMS Cambria)
-Trade St developments
-Waterside (Cardiff Bay)

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve still got a long, long way to catch up with Bristol! Their office space in the centre (historic and modern) is significantly larger than Cardiff. There are a lot of established businesses, particularly in finance and engineering jobs in Bristol.

As I see it, there are 5 fundamental projects that we need make happen:
1) The Metro – this will transform the region if done properly
2) Electrification of the GWR main line – need to cut down journey times to London.
3) M4 relief road.
4) Airport – It needs redevelopment and more routes
5) The Semi-Conductor and Compound Semi-Conductor Cluster – I don’t people appreciate just how significant this could be for South Wales. People talk about the re-industrialisation of Britain, this is exactly where we should be going. To have the 5th Semi-Conductor Cluster in Europe woud be fantastics, but to have the first Compound Semi-Conductor Cluster in the world would be huge.

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Jantra wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:Ahh, nah. Bristol is miles ahead of Cardiff in every metric. It literally takes 2 hours to get from Bower Ashton (south Bristol) to Frenchay (North). Cardiff is growing very quickly but Bristol isnt the best example as it is also growing at an astonishing rate.

Oh, and about the building height, within a month of the 60m height restriction being lifted, an 82m tower has started construction.

2 hours. Leave the tractor on the farm mate. I regularly travel in and around bristol and it's not much bigger than Cardiff in terms of urban area. I'd say the city centre and harbourside area are no bigger than cadiff's city centre plus bay, but the latter two being given separate doesn't given the sense of scale you get on bristol

If you ignore the geopolitical boundaries, travelling from dinas in the west to s'mell in the east is as great as distance.

2 hours was too much. It is well over 1 hour however. Frenchay to Ashton is around 90 minutes on a bus.

And about Cardiff's city centre being not much smaller than Bristols.. You really, really need to go to Bristol a little more if you think that. Cardiff is my favourite city from my favourite country but its city centre is about half the size. Walk from Temple meads to Stokes croft and tell me theyre anywhere near the size of each other.

You cannot count Cardiff Bay as the city centre. For one, its not a part of the CBD. Two, its not even geographically at the centre. Thats like including Avonmouth as bristols City Centre.

There are lots of cool things going on In Cardiff's area, like the M4, Metro, Central Square, etc.

There are lots of cool things going on in Bristol.. MetroBus, redevelopment of the Temple Meads area..

Point being is that Bristol already has a lot of stuff that Cardiff is going to get. Bristol's bus system is extremely effective and popular, while Cardiff's is not, it has two shopping centres the size of St. Davids, and an incredibly vibrant culture that is tied to Drum & Bass and Street Art. (It has some world leading nightclubs, bands and graffiti artists). An Airport that is leaps and bounds ahead of Cardiff's.. All features of a bigger city.

For me Cardiff just doesnt have this yet. It is growing quickly, but in this day and age, the chances of a city catching up in population to another and actually surpassing the bigger city is extremely rare. All cities seem to be growing at a relatively quick level in the UK apart from those on the western and northern extremities.

What Cardiff DOES have, are truly world class sporting facilites which Bristol will never catch up on. Problem being is that these facilities i.e. the Principality Stadium is only used for 10 weeks a year.

But yeah let me know your opinions :)

Cardiff

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Dont know a lot about Bristol developments, but is Cardiff bus not popular, i thought it was a good service that was more organised than other cities.

Also i wouldnt call the two shopping centers in Bristol comparable, Cabot circus is nice but the other is much worse than the old St Davids. I think someone said that culturally the cities are on opposite sides, Cardiff top down and Bristol bottom up, both offering different experiences. Cardiff definitely seems better for leisure activities and Bristol for business, not that both dont have this offering too. I think where Cardiff excels is in a great modern environment not blighted by post war schemes, and where Bristol excels is in Clifton and those similar parts of the city center. Hopefully the current office developments will show that Cardiff is serious about this kind of activity in the city center, and that there are actually people who can do the job or are happy to relocate to this city to do the jobs, because up until now the offering has been small and on the radar of cities to do business in the city center Cardiff has not even been on it i'm sure.

Cen

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with counting the Bay in city centre size. It's not actually that far away (Avonmouth is nowhere near the centre of Bristol). You have to consider that other cities would have all of the bay's offerings within the centre, making the centre itself bigger. In Cardiff's case, the centre is split into two districts that when combined together actually cover a much larger area than people think. If you really want to split the bay and the centre, then we can trump most other cities by saying "Cardiff has two city centres". The Bay alone is bigger than a lot of the smaller city centres in the UK.

It's also worth noting that the centre is gradually extending South towards the bay. When they eventually meet, does the Bay suddenly become part of the city centre, even though nobody considers it now?

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Cardiff wrote:Dont know a lot about Bristol developments, but is Cardiff bus not popular, i thought it was a good service that was more organised than other cities.

Also i wouldnt call the two shopping centers in Bristol comparable, Cabot circus is nice but the other is much worse than the old St Davids. I think someone said that culturally the cities are on opposite sides, Cardiff top down and Bristol bottom up, both offering different experiences. Cardiff definitely seems better for leisure activities and Bristol for business, not that both dont have this offering too. I think where Cardiff excels is in a great modern environment not blighted by post war schemes, and where Bristol excels is in Clifton and those similar parts of the city center. Hopefully the current office developments will show that Cardiff is serious about this kind of activity in the city center, and that there are actually people who can do the job or are happy to relocate to this city to do the jobs, because up until now the offering has been small and on the radar of cities to do business in the city center Cardiff has not even been on it i'm sure.

I definitely agree with what you say here, there are far too many post war brutalist schemes in the city. However coming back to the cultural standpoint, the street art to be seen on these buildings is sublime and thats where the standpoint differs between any other concrete tower block in the UK.

And about the buses, Cardiff's bus is decent yes, but Bristol we are talking at a better sense - most main routes in the city are super frequent. The 1/2/3, 48/48A/49, 70/71/72 and 73/74/75 come every 5 minutes for several hours in the day.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Perhaps I spend too much of my time in London and other major cities because I think that Bristol is a cultural dive! Yeah, it’s got some lovely old buildings, some nice bars and clubs, the Old Vic, Tobacco Factory and Colston Hall, but not a huge amount. In fairness, some of my European colleagues appreciate it a lot more than I do.

We do have a lot of stuff in Cardiff, perhaps we don’t make the most of it and maybe these things could do a lot more.

Cardiff Arts:
-National Museum & Gallery
-Wales’ Millennium Centre
-CIA (also used for Snooker and Darts)
-New Theatre
-St David’s Hall (one of the best acoustic halls in the world)
-Chapter
-Tramshed
-Royal College of Music (anyone interested in classical music should go to their shows)

Cardiff Sport:
-Arms Park (Rugby)
-Cardiff City Stadium (Football)
-Principality Stadium (Rugby & Football)
-Swalec Stadium (Cricket)
-Ice Hockey Ring
-Swimming Pool

I think our live music scene could do with a boost, as could our street art. We also need to make more use of really small spaces to add density (like the railway arches on the John St site).

I was in Vienna the other week and one thing that really struck me (apart from the obvious: their amazing old buildings and fantastic Metro) was these street billboards. You see them all over Europe and I think it’s a shame we don’t have too many of them here. It gives you the impression that there’s stuff going on.

Cardiff also needs to use its rivers a lot more. In fairness, Bristol embraces its river.
Attachments
DSC_0269.JPG
DSC_0269.JPG (67 KiB) Viewed 7984 times

Jennifer

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:I reluctantly live and work in Bristol and whilst there's been an awful lot of talk about some of those developments, it's largely remained just that, talk. I'm not seeing too many tower cranes going up in the city centre just yet.

There is a lot going on around the old Filton airfield and Rolls Royce site, but not much going on in the city centre. Temple Quay and the whole redevelopment of Temple Meads Station has stalled. What's happening to the Arena? Are Bristol Uni talking that site occupied by the old parcel-sorting office? That's been an eyesore for years and years!

Not electrifying the line up to Temple Meads will hurt too.

You can add to your Cardiff list:
-Arms Park Redevelopment / WRU Westgate St Redevelopment
-Bayscape Phase 2
-Callaghan Sq. John St
-Capitol Shopping Centre redevelopment
-Caradog House (student)
-Cardiff Bay Misc. Refurbishments (Coal Exchange, HSBC building)
-Cardiff Met University – Student accommodation and technology campus
-Cardiff Parkway
-Cardiff University student accommodation (this one went out for expressions of interest a few weeks ago)
-Cardiff Parkway (Linked to the Compound Semi-Conductor Cluster)
-City Road No.13-14
-City Road No.21-27
-City Road No.199-203
-Custom House St student tower
-Ely Paper Mill site
-Porth Teigr/Roach Basin (Incl. Box City)
-Plasdwr Scheme (Cardiff’s new £2Billion Garden City)
-Royal Navy training school (HMS Cambria)
-Trade St developments
-Waterside (Cardiff Bay)

Don’t get me wrong, we’ve still got a long, long way to catch up with Bristol! Their office space in the centre (historic and modern) is significantly larger than Cardiff. There are a lot of established businesses, particularly in finance and engineering jobs in Bristol.

As I see it, there are 5 fundamental projects that we need make happen:
1) The Metro – this will transform the region if done properly
2) Electrification of the GWR main line – need to cut down journey times to London.
3) M4 relief road.
4) Airport – It needs redevelopment and more routes
5) The Semi-Conductor and Compound Semi-Conductor Cluster – I don’t people appreciate just how significant this could be for South Wales. People talk about the re-industrialisation of Britain, this is exactly where we should be going. To have the 5th Semi-Conductor Cluster in Europe woud be fantastics, but to have the first Compound Semi-Conductor Cluster in the world would be huge.

Thanks for your input. However the developments I've listed for both cities are actually happening or already have. The ones you've added to the Cardiff list are mere proposals. This doesn't insinuate that they won't happen but I was keeping the conversation with a sensible frame of context.

The garden city was included in the bit where I said major housing push to the northeast pf the city.

Temple quay has not stalled. there is piling going on at the HMRC future site at glass wharf. The plot opposite to the north also has activity on it.

Admittedly Bristol doesn't have a great track record when it comes to sporting venues/arenas. These are often bogged down very quickly in red tape and delays. There appears now to be a very real possibility that the proposed arena near T-Meads could once again collapse in all the polava of council cut backs. I do hope not though.

Jantra

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 4:05 pm

I have worked in Bristol plenty thanks. From temple meads to harbourside I know the city very well. I just dont think it's bigger than Cardiff centre as you are making out.

My reference to the bay was in me making comparison to harbourside, which is adjacent to the city centre whereas the bay is not (adjacent to cardiff's city centre)

Briz-Tim

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 6:16 pm

As someone who has lived in both cities, and regularly goes back and forth, I feel I can give my two cents. This is all my own perception I hasten to add so no-one get mad if they don't agree with it.

Cardiff felt like a far more happening place in the late 90s and up until maybe a few years before the start of the last financial crisis in 2008. Bristol felt like it was resting on it's laurels and was much more complacent, in fact downright declining and grim in parts. Admittedly, like others have said, much of the development taking place in Cardiff during that period Bristol already had established years before.

Bristol has made a lot of positive strides and improvements, whether that could be considered as one surpassing the other, is up for debate. Just purely in terms of population Bristol did grow at a larger total amount between 2001-2011.
I remember lots of buzz when Torchwood and Dr Who set up shop in Cardiff. Meanwhile in Bristol they were lamenting the loss of the TV show Casualty and the potential damage this would do to the local economy. Yet nearly a decade later Bristol probably sees a greater output of shows than it ever did when Casualty was based there, due to the The Bottleyard studios. There's some irony in that Bristol and The SW have probably featured more in major BBC Wales productions as visible filming locations than Cardiff and Wales.

There's a greater level of business creation and relocation going on where the city also seems to be currently riding a wave of growth and buzz that Cardiff experienced about 10-15 years years ago. It feels very international. On the flip side there's been a huge increase in poverty and homelessness that are back to to 1990's levels, not helped or caused by gentrification and a housing crisis which threatens the city's growth. By comparison Cardiff never seemed to have as much of stratification of wealth, which is what I enjoy about the place.

There's definitely a difference in attitude between the two cities, although as both cities have become more successful and cosmopolitan this has diminished from what I used to experience. Cardiff still has a certain higher level of provincial-ness to it, for obvious reasons, and as seen by some of the comments here, there's a certain parochial "stay off our bit of turf" mentality that seems to be more pervasive in Wales, and even in Cardiff. Whilst In Bristol and much of the south west, people don't seem as bothered/aware about this outside of major sporting leagues; local businesses don't see a problem expanding into or having clients or operations in Wales, nor other regions, or different parts of The SW. You could see it as people in Wales as being more loyal, which is a good thing, but on the flip side it can make things a bit myopic and parochial at times.

Despite what the critics say, devolution has been a very good thing for Cardiff. It is what has given the city a massive boost in civic pride, economic clout, and much of it's excellent sporting infrastructure; Bristol is very far behind here, and can only dream about the same levels of investment. Bristol does have a lot going on development wise but projects in Cardiff do seem to be that much more speedier in getting through the planning process. Maybe this is a result of having a better and a more substantial local government than over in England.

I wouldn't say it was overly biased to suggest that Central Bristol is larger both in feel and in actual area; it's a bigger city; in population it's bigger than Cardiff, Barry and Newport combined and covers some 50-60 square miles. Redcliff, Broadmead, Park Street, M-shed etc covers a good square mile at least. Central Cardiff is probably less than half that depending on your definition, and the surrounding inner districts aren't as 'integrated' with the CBD as the former. There used to be lots of problem areas of shabbiness and outright dereliction in central Bristol that Cardiff never had to nearly the same extent, but most of this has already been or will soon be redeveloped along with some of the worst offenders such as Redcliff Quarter and Callowhill Court in Broadmead; the latter of which looks to be as big as Cabot Circus or St Davids 2.

Bristol built a lot of 'tall' buildings in the post-war period and damaged a lot of it's historic fabric in the process hence the resistance to build new talls. Cardiff lacked this history so it was easier to get taller things built. That said Bristol is more of a ''high-rise'' city than Cardiff even though none of the former's tall buildings are as tall as Cardiff's tallest. The new mayor of Bristol seems keen for more tall buildings, but I highly doubt this will manifest in many new builds -beyond those that have already been planned- due to the nature of the city.

Not sure I'd classify Cardiff Bay as the centre i.e. what someone would describe as going into town. It's largely disconnected from the CBD, and is quite diffuse and disjointed as an area. No more a part town than say Cathays or Canton, or Clifton Village or Bedminster are to Central Bristol.

Personally I think Brexit will probably make it harder for both cities to function well, so any talk of one surpassing the other these days is probably pointless. One thing that the voting results of that referendum have revealed is that both cities have as much, or more, in common with one another as they do with their own hinterlands.

Peiriannydd wrote:Perhaps I spend too much of my time in London and other major cities because I think that Bristol is a cultural dive! Yeah, it’s got some lovely old buildings, some nice bars and clubs, the Old Vic, Tobacco Factory and Colston Hall, but not a huge amount. In fairness, some of my European colleagues appreciate it a lot more than I do.

We do have a lot of stuff in Cardiff, perhaps we don’t make the most of it and maybe these things could do a lot more.

Cultural dive is a bit strong -it's not- and comparing with London is a bit of a non-starter even for the very biggest of cities. There's also St George's Hall, Hippodrome, RWA, Arnolfini, Watershed, Spike island, Hamilton house, O2 academy. Museums like M-shed, SS Great Britain, Georgian House, city museum and gallery, Zoo and safari park etc.

The city has quite a big 'small theatre' and mid- to small live venue scene which Cardiff still lacks; e.g. Wardrobe Theatre, Little black Box, Trinity Church, Anson Rooms, The Fleece, Smoke and Mirrors, Alma tavern, QEH etc and of course The Tobacco factory.

I do agree both cities could do much better with what they have. Particularly the museums, with thousands of artworks and artefacts that are stored away that the public are never allowed to see.

Anyway, about this new tower...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum