It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Jennifer

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Rumour has it that construction my start in the second half of 2017. Such a small plot though perched precariously next to a mainline railway track. It would be game changer in terms of building height in Cardiff and could potentially set the theme for further taller building at this height.Bayscape phase 2 also incoporates a 127m tower.

There does appear to be a substantial amount of student accommodation coming down the shoot so one would be wondering whether they'll be actually able to fill these blocks or do they have a plan B, or even insider knowledge, perhaps with the proposed development of Callaghan square and expansion of Cardiff Met.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 7:15 pm

There is a "Plan B" and it's being looked at.

One of the biggest hurdles to overcome with this project is getting Network Rail approval, particularly issues relating to the piling, excavation and the crane erection and operations. The trouble is, Network Rail are a law unto themselves and won't be rushed for anyone. It can take as long as 6 months to get their clearance.

Discussions with them started some time ago, but the thing is, Network Rail don't really want to speak with the consultant engineers, they want to speak with the site team (i.e. sub-contractors) and they are usually the last on board.

moyceyyy

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Just quickly. Cultural dive? As a student living here Ive never heard of a more incorrect statement. Its not all about the architecture and the super large venues. Venues such as Lakota and Motion are world leading. Bristol is the home of lots of music genres.. Trip hop and Drum and bass.. the latter is now a worldwide genre. The creator if the most famous street artist in the world, Banksy. I actually think Cardiff is a cultural dive.

No street art, NO underground music scenes, just women in cowboy hats during the six nations, and hardly any multiculturalism apart from some racial segregation in Butetown and Grangetown.

The two cities are different. One is far ahead of the other, but the smaller one is growing quicker. About this new tower - when is the estimated construction

Peiriannydd

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 am

Yes, Cardiff is lacking quite a lot to be honest and I'm the first one to acknowledge that fact. But I've lived in Bristol for a few years and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I honestly don't like the place and it doesn't have much to offer me.

I'm not being anti-English either. I've lived in other parts of England and I've had far better experiences elsewhere in England.

Lyndon

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:33 am

moyceyyy wrote:Just quickly. Cultural dive? As a student living here Ive never heard of a more incorrect statement. Its not all about the architecture and the super large venues. Venues such as Lakota and Motion are world leading. Bristol is the home of lots of music genres.. Trip hop and Drum and bass.. the latter is now a worldwide genre. The creator if the most famous street artist in the world, Banksy. I actually think Cardiff is a cultural dive.

Cardiff gets the big music acts, thanks to the Principality and Motorpoint, but Bristol obviously has more small venues and gets the pick of touring indie bands, which I am very jealous about. As for homegrown stuff, Trip hop was a *long* time ago now, and when the NME used to review local music scenes but couldn't really think of anything positive to say, they'd suggest the town had "a good drum n' bass scene".

No street art, NO underground music scenes, just women in cowboy hats during the six nations, and hardly any multiculturalism apart from some racial segregation in Butetown and Grangetown.

Street art, meh. And your comment about multiculturalism is patently ridiculous. You could equally well say that if you ignore St Paul's and a couple of other inner city districts Bristol is full of cider drinking yokels. And Cardiff has a good Welsh language music scene, which is *very* underground to the Sais.

The two cities are different. One is far ahead of the other, but the smaller one is growing quicker. About this new tower - when is the estimated construction

No argument there.

Jantra

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am

moyceyyy wrote:Just quickly. Cultural dive? As a student living here Ive never heard of a more incorrect statement. Its not all about the architecture and the super large venues. Venues such as Lakota and Motion are world leading. Bristol is the home of lots of music genres.. Trip hop and Drum and bass.. the latter is now a worldwide genre. The creator if the most famous street artist in the world, Banksy. I actually think Cardiff is a cultural dive.

I'd certainly agree Cardiff doesn't really have a decent music scene. It never really has. Saying goes that Bristol is only marginally better but does have a few great acts like Portishead and massive attack. I also wouldn't say DnB originated in Bristol, nor is the lakota world famous. It was a half decent house club back in the day but then Cardiff had the hip'po which some in Cardiff thought was great but was decidedly average.

The best description has already been given. Cardiff is top down and Bristol is bottom up. I'd certainly say both cities have lots to offer and in reality they aren't too far apart.

Cen

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

Music scene matters very little these days, what with the internet and a much more global appeal. People really couldn't care less where a band comes from now.

Saying that, we've had our fair share over the years. Super Furry Animals, Stereophonics, Manics, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Feeder, Lostprophets (maybe controversial but were still very famous), etc. Even if we focus on drum and bass, High Contrast is currently one of the biggest producers out there, and he's from Cardiff. I'd also say London played a much bigger role in the rise of D'n'B than Bristol, with its notorious pirate radio stations.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 am

Bristol is bigger but would not say better.

The Cardiff issue is that the population is small and you can only grow with your surrounding population.

Cardiff has amazing and unique arcades, roofed stadium, better football clubs and better park space. Also a compact city centre that people seem to like.

Cardiff needs to grow and the people need to grow with it. It is a Capital City after all. We are not a small town but a growing City that will get taller and bigger. If you don't like this, then maybe a small village is for you.

moyceyyy

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Jantra wrote: I'd certainly agree Cardiff doesn't really have a decent music scene. It never really has. Saying goes that Bristol is only marginally better but does have a few great acts like Portishead and massive attack. I also wouldn't say DnB originated in Bristol, nor is the lakota world famous. It was a half decent house club back in the day but then Cardiff had the hip'po which some in Cardiff thought was great but was decidedly average.

The best description has already been given. Cardiff is top down and Bristol is bottom up. I'd certainly say both cities have lots to offer and in reality they aren't too far apart.

I'll rephrase that, Lakota is a leading club for bottom up scenes, while Motion is Top-down. (17th? best club in the world I think - fabric is 15th.) Lakota is now a driving force in DnB/Bassline - people like My Nu Leng and Eats Everything have become HUGE and they both claim it being thanks to Lakota selling out events every week.

And yes DnB originated in both London and Bristol, the scene grew in Bristol when it broke off from the Jungle scene.

This is super OT. Cuppa tea anyone? :lol:

Briz-Tim

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:16 pm

One being top down and the other grassroots is a bit misleading. As much of Bristol's cultural life and facilities are dominated and funded by the tax payer as Cardiff, and there's a passionate grassroots scene in the latter. I suppose one seems more grassroots because there's more meat on Bristol's bones when it comes to the actual cultural scenes. Yeah Cardiff is still limited in that regard, although things like the tramshed have improved things a great deal. I wish it had bren open when I was living down the street all those years ago.

Bristol does know it's brand and how to sell it well. I'm not a street art connoisseur by any means but it's something the city has capitalised on, bringing in lots of cash and foreign visitors. I think Cardiff could probably learn a thing or two here as far as marketing itself as a tourist destination (not the street art thing).
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum