It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Rhodri

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Wow this really could happen then? If we get 30 stories high then that will be tidy, hasn't Smart got a planning app for a 20+ south of the railway line? I await the 'Mini Manhatten' headline in the WM/Echo

Cen

PostWed Jul 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Rhodri wrote:Wow this really could happen then? If we get 30 stories high then that will be tidy, hasn't Smart got a planning app for a 20+ south of the railway line? I await the 'Mini Manhatten' headline in the WM/Echo

They do indeed, and I'm pretty sure work is supposed to start relatively soon.

Who'd have thought that this thread would turn into a serious topic? :lol:

Zach

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 10:15 am

Balmy thread to fruition!

35 storeys,(0.6 HA footprint)
So based on the Portsmouth 33 storey tower (0.35HA footprint) which is just over 100m.
The Cardiff tower should then be Wales Tallest :D (Swansea one is 107m)
All depends on roof design ground floor height etc etc. But I am sure this will be a selling/renting advantage if it is.

I did not realise that this will be student accommodation for 500.
I hope they put netting over the train tracks to protect from falling objects/students.

amp

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 11:58 am

whatever happened to the York hotel demo and custom house redevelopment, any news?

Frank

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Hmmmm

All depends on quality. A good quality high rise that can be seen for a long way around is great. A poor quality one is hideous. After all, there is no hiding place.

I do wonder if this could encourage something to be done about the bridges under the railway line. It is a bugbear of mine and I don''t know what's feasible, but with all respect they're grotty.

Shminky Binky

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 12:23 pm

amp wrote:whatever happened to the York hotel demo and custom house redevelopment, any news?

I was thinking the same thing, this area looks terrible at the moment, especially entering the city via train. Either do something with it or just demolish the whole thing and lay some grass!

Kyle

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm

I just passed the site by train and there's some
sort of work going on, sampling of soil maybe?

Couldn't agree more with the York site, just cringed looking
at the state of it with weeds etc growing out of it.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 8:27 pm

Popped in to Radisson Blu today for more info on this project. They had some renders on display and will be sending me a pdf which I will show here when rec'd. I got the impression that this 107metre (ish) tower could happen!! Had a nice chat with the architect from RIO who was explaining about the quality of the finish this building would have, also whilst pretty basic in shape - think thin rectangle! the windows were to be kind've 'staggered' to add a visual interest to the building. I would say this but :geek: I really hope this comes off as it would be worthy of it's place as the most prominent building on the skyline (in my view) it aint no shard! but certainly no Ty pont haearn either!! and for Cardiff, pretty slick! The timelines loosely speaking could be... planning app in september commencement in spring 2016 and I think it was about 18months for completion. Still hopefully more info when I get that pdf.

I'm not going to wish too much this happens, I tried that once with a certain needle and bayside tower!! surely the kiss of death! :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cen

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 9:38 pm

That's great news.
If commencement is in spring 2016, the progress this project has made in such a small amount of time is quite incredible.
You're happy with the design then? Any idea when you'll receive the renders?

Kyle

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Looking forward to seeing it Paul!

We've all had our fingers burnt with the odd proposed tower never being built in the city so fingers crossed we get this one. It'll be about bloody time.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum