It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:07 pm

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm not giving up on this one just yet! I think it might be a postponment rather than a cancelation. Watkin Jones certainly seemed bullish about the sector in this piece last month.

"New chief executive Richard Simpson, who replaces retired Mark Watkin Jones, said the prospects for both student accommodation and the build to rent sector remained robust.

Simpson said: “We continue to have excellent visibility of our future revenues and earnings, supported by the pipeline of forward sold and secured sites for student accommodation.”

In the core student accommodation sector, Watkin Jones boasts a total secured development pipeline of 7,534 student beds across 17 sites, for delivery between 2019 and 2021.

This represents a development value of £650m."

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/01/15/watkin-jones-hits-record-profits-as-pipeline-grows/

Lewisbeecham

PostSun Feb 24, 2019 5:08 pm

They have until 2021 to start construction or they lose the planning permission. I wasn't aware that Watkins Jones' were in the business of built to rent, I definitely think that's a better approach for this scheme. Surely more profitable? I'm sure they could charge, and achieve, inflated prices for those top floor apartments. That's assuming they'll be the tallest in Wales still without amending the height. Not to mention the skybar at the top. Perhaps this explains the return of the footpath, they need to submit planning all over again?

Is it normal to completely remove fences if a scheme has fallen through?

Ash

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 6:36 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:They have until 2021 to start construction or they lose the planning permission. I wasn't aware that Watkins Jones' were in the business of built to rent, I definitely think that's a better approach for this scheme. Surely more profitable? I'm sure they could charge, and achieve, inflated prices for those top floor apartments. That's assuming they'll be the tallest in Wales still without amending the height. Not to mention the skybar at the top. Perhaps this explains the return of the footpath, they need to submit planning all over again?

I suspect the fences pretty much had to come down either way. You can't block footpaths for long periods if no activity is taking place. I think you may well be right that the developers are considering switching from student accomodation to BTR. If that's the case, they'll need to revisit the planning process to address issues around parking etc.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Ash wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:They have until 2021 to start construction or they lose the planning permission. I wasn't aware that Watkins Jones' were in the business of built to rent, I definitely think that's a better approach for this scheme. Surely more profitable? I'm sure they could charge, and achieve, inflated prices for those top floor apartments. That's assuming they'll be the tallest in Wales still without amending the height. Not to mention the skybar at the top. Perhaps this explains the return of the footpath, they need to submit planning all over again?

I suspect the fences pretty much had to come down either way. You can't block footpaths for long periods if no activity is taking place. I think you may well be right that the developers are considering switching from student accomodation to BTR. If that's the case, they'll need to revisit the planning process to address issues around parking etc.

The BTR scheme on Dumballs Road and Capital Quarter have no parking, just some disabled bays. This scheme had 2 disabled bays? Maybe 3?
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum