It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

WalesOnline - is this really news?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

WalesOnline - is this really news?

PostMon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Thought we could post the increasingly ridiculous articles that Walesonline seems to put up as news. Here's my first offering:

"Newport could become home to a laser tattoo removal clinic"
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... 43#rlabs=4

I mean, seriously? really? what?

Now don't get me wrong, I do feel a bit for the plight of local newspapers, and especially their (ever diminishing number of) journalists. But has the barrel actually been entirely scraped away already?

Look forward to more "non stories" - which, as I've said, also often seem to be little PR-push pieces.

Ash

Re: WalesOnline - is this really news?

PostMon Jun 29, 2015 2:54 pm

It's the click-bait slideshows that get me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you "22 things you only know if you grew up in Llangefni" :evil:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/22-things-you-only-know-9229501

Zach

PostMon Jun 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Wales On Line....

As an experiment I closed all applications and ran Wireshark (IP tool to look at all internet traffic)
I just loaded Wales on Line home page, 118 separate IP addresses were accessed and over 20 individual cookies were placed on my machine.
No wonder they don't have room for News any more!

RandomComment

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 7:35 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... il-9725197

An article on a £1.85 per bag charge for additional refuse bags from Cardiff Council. Now one can argue about the merits and fairness of the policy (and perhaps suggest a few spare bags be included in the packs), but is the journo stupid? Or does she know she's speaking distorted nonsense but wants to hype the story and thinks her readers are stupid (probably many are actually).

Its not £1.85 per bag for THE BAG.. the charge is, in effect, for the collection of additional waste. The council is now charged £80+ a tonne for waste to landfill under the Landfill Tax, and will soon face even higher penalties under EU rules on landfill, and so wants to reduce landfill at a time its budget is facing huge cuts. It is trying to manage demand by charging people who use more than 1.5 bag per fortnight.

So comparison with the price of bags elsewhere is just stupid. Do Tesco also collect your rubbish when you buy their value bags? Hrm...

Ash

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 11:43 am

You're right, the article is misleading.

They wouldn't get away with it though if the council hadn't made a total pig's ear of rolling out the new system. The lack of consultation and misassesment of people's actual needs must be like manna from heaven for journalists trying to fill newspapers in the silly season.

I'm not one of the people effected by the changes but delivering large garden waste bins to appartments without gardens and then asking the residents to contact the council if they don't need them is just plain daft.

mustrum_ridcully

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 10:20 am

Ash wrote:You're right, the article is misleading.

They wouldn't get away with it though if the council hadn't made a total pig's ear of rolling out the new system. The lack of consultation and misassesment of people's actual needs must be like manna from heaven for journalists trying to fill newspapers in the silly season.

I'm not one of the people effected by the changes but delivering large garden waste bins to appartments without gardens and then asking the residents to contact the council if they don't need them is just plain daft.

Then again if they made people ring-up and ask for green bins the hacks would be out making-up stories about how this was some great injustice.

Personally I'm still waiting for Cardiff to join the likes of Penarth and Barry in having its own newspaper online, I don't care whether Farmer Jones from Cwmystwyth lost his flipping house keys in a mildly amusing way or not.

Ash

PostMon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 pm

mustrum_ridcully wrote: I don't care whether Farmer Jones from Cwmystwyth lost his flipping house keys in a mildly amusing way or not.

Oh, I missed that story. Do you have a link? ;)

RandomComment

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 10:27 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... nt-9790334

A potentially interesting interview with a senior property executive (who happens to be Welsh) on the global situation, with a few links to the local situation. BUT - the journalist has butchered it. The headline is misleading (he doesn't seem to mention the city region issue); the copy and quotes don't align properly. I mean, its amateurish and embarrassing.

MediaWales's main papers, the Echo, and Western Mail, have never been great. But now they are a mess. Their team now only occupy perhaps 2 floors of their building (out of 6), suggesting staff numbers have been cut to the bone. So perhaps I'm being harsh on the guy who wrote the article - perhaps he's just overworked and worn out!

Karl

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 11:25 am

This is the headline story on Walesonline today -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/f ... nu-9783933

Is there a secret menu at KFC, Burger King et al. I think that is called reaching a nadir.

Ash

PostWed Aug 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Karl wrote:This is the headline story on Walesonline today -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/f ... nu-9783933

Is there a secret menu at KFC, Burger King et al. I think that is called reaching a nadir.

It's depressing but people must click on those "secret menu" stories. They seem to crop up all the time.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum