It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Unless they've taken a serious artistic liberty with the first GGI (which they may have), it suggests that the concourse area is in line with the Brains chimney. If you look on google maps where that chimney is in relation to the existing tracks, then that concourse would be located a quite a distance from the existing entrance to get it to even remotely line up.

Depending on how much land trading is going to happen, I would suggest that they could get in an additional 2 platforms, without looking to widen the existing bridges on either side of the station. Cardiff Central definately needs more platforms as congestion is only going to get worse.

Who knows what will acutally happen with the building. I don't know if these are serious plans or just something to get the ideas going. CGIs don't cost that much to make. What I do know though, is that there is going to be serious political arguments in the future over rail funding and this station in particular. Currently, Wales is getting around 1.5% of the funding with 6% of the railway network. Add into the mix both Cardiff and the Welsh Government's desire to see this become the centrol node of the Metro then it's clear some serious amount of work is needed to the station. The Welsh Government are constantly using the argument of "give us the funding or give us the authority to do the things we need to do", i.e. they want aspects of Network Rail devolved and so do the Scots. Somthing has to give.

In fairness to Network Rail, they recognise that the station is simply inadequate for a modern 21st century city. Their line is that they've been hampered by not only funding but also issues to do with the listing of the building. I think that the south entrance and the focus of future developments being south of the railway line is the obvious way of getting over that problem.

Time will tell, but I imagine that discussions are going on behind the scenes between the various interested parties (Network Rail, Westminster, Cardiff CC, WG, Arriva Trains, Brains, Rightacres etc.).
Attachments
Existing Lines and Platforms 2 - Google.jpg
Existing Lines and Platforms 2 - Google.jpg (240.29 KiB) Viewed 10119 times

Msmurf

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 3:18 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:Unless they've taken a serious artistic liberty with the first GGI (which they may have), it suggests that the concourse area is in line with the Brains chimney. If you look on google maps where that chimney is in relation to the existing tracks, then that concourse would be located a quite a distance from the existing entrance to get it to even remotely line up..

I dont think they have taken any artistic liberty - or plan a huge station concourse. What I think the CGI shows is the location of the new South Entrance.... Take a look at the Central Square layout and renders and they all show a new North entrance to the East of the existing Main entrance. Now if you cross the tracks at this point, the South side of the station is not aligned East-West parallel to the Main Lines but is angled more Noth-East to South-West. If you follow this alignment it points right at Brains Chimney.

The other clue I get from the CGI is from the height of the Station - The only reason to build up to 5 stories is if the North-South concourse is built over that tracks and not buried in a dingy tunnel like the existing concourse.

Personally I am quite excited about these plans and assume that all vehicle traffic will be directed to South Entrance. This would be a major shift in the Centre of Gravity of the station and should give a much-needed boost to Callaghan Square development

===============
ps thanks to Paul for getting me back on line after a long absence and a few name changes..
Last edited by Msmurf on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Msmurf

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:00 pm

And on the subject of Callaghan Square...or as i prefer to call it... 'that windswept soulless gyratory system named after a jumped up municipal politician' ( y system gylchu gwyntog enaid-llai a enwyd ar ôl gwleidydd trefol ddiwerth ) maybe when they rebuild Central Station they should rename the area to give it a boost - I suggest South Central (Canol Dde).

Certainly looks better in Welsh...

Zach

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm sorry but I couldn't read some of your last post, either my WiFi dropped out or your cat walked across your keyboard. :lol:

Ash

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am

Msmurf wrote: y system gylchu gwyntog enaid-llai a enwyd ar ôl gwleidydd trefol ddiwerth )

Dwed hwnna ar ol pum peint! :D

Msmurf

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Ash wrote:
Msmurf wrote: y system gylchu gwyntog enaid-llai a enwyd ar ôl gwleidydd trefol ddiwerth )

Dwed hwnna ar ol pum peint! :D

I blame Google Translate - :ugeek:

Msmurf

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Msmurf wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:Unless they've taken a serious artistic liberty with the first GGI (which they may have), it suggests that the concourse area is in line with the Brains chimney. If you look on google maps where that chimney is in relation to the existing tracks, then that concourse would be located a quite a distance from the existing entrance to get it to even remotely line up..

I dont think they have taken any artistic liberty - or plan a huge station concourse. What I think the CGI shows is the location of the new South Entrance.... Take a look at the Central Square layout and renders and they all show a new North entrance to the East of the existing Main entrance. Now if you cross the tracks at this point, the South side of the station is not aligned East-West parallel to the Main Lines but is angled more Noth-East to South-West. If you follow this alignment it points right at Brains Chimney.

The other clue I get from the CGI is from the height of the Station - The only reason to build up to 5 stories is if the North-South concourse is built over that tracks and not buried in a dingy tunnel like the existing concourse.

Personally I am quite excited about these plans and assume that all vehicle traffic will be directed to South Entrance. This would be a major shift in the Centre of Gravity of the station and should give a much-needed boost to Callaghan Square development

...Now with added plan...

https://goo.gl/photos/qhSbJxJK6DHUgPbL7

Simon__200

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Not sure I quite agree with that. The mark of a "proper" station always used to be that it had an actual underpass. Only minor stations ever had overpasses.

Mathew5

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm

Zach wrote:I'm sorry but I couldn't read some of your last post, either my WiFi dropped out or your cat walked across your keyboard. :lol:

Zach - this is exactly why a lot of people on this forum don't want you here and don't take any notice of your posts.

As a Welsh speaker, your attitude towards the Welsh language is appalling and I have made a complaint to the moderator as views such as yours are not welcome here.

Many users of this forum are Welsh speakers, including myself, and your childish, bigoted, and unfunny comments are making this forum less of a pleasant place to be.

There is a difference between criticising Welsh language policy and someone's language. You wouldn't dare say anything on someone else's race, religion or sexuality and someone's language is no different.

Get yourself educated or please leave this forum, or preferably do both.

Msmurf

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Simon__200 wrote:Not sure I quite agree with that. The mark of a "proper" station always used to be that it had an actual underpass. Only minor stations ever had overpasses.

That is news to me.....but I assumed that it would be too difficult/impractical/expensive to try and create an under platform concourse and that is why it was planned to go over the top.

But just thinking about some of the mega stations I have visited recently in Japan and China, and they seem evenly split above and below. I think it is more to do with line elevation relative to street level....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum