It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 am

New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

The Untouchable One

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostSat Jul 19, 2014 5:15 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... us-7457189

Some tidbits from local business leaders on the proposal. Central/Capital Square could really be something if this takes off like with Seren... oh yeah :roll: :x Can't fault the ambition anyhoot
The artist formerly known as Commuter87

Amoore

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I think, if you put it into context with the other developments in the immediate area, this could sit quite nicely.

Also, NOTHING could be worse than the travesty that is the 'redevelopment' of Newport Station.

Shminky Binky

PostTue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 am

Looks like the southern entrance of central station is finally about to get started. The first set of large girders has arrived along with a mobile crane. Should hopefully see something arise here after their long holiday of doing nothing!

Kyle

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 10:05 am

An update to artists impressions, changed a bit at the front to accomodate the Central Square scheme. Not entirely sure I like it as much.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/new-plans-transform-cardiff-central-9736568

Rhodri

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 am

I think I agree with you but I do like the tall building behind! The car park should really a multi storey with offices above - a chance to redeem the awfulness of Ty Pointless.

That said the redevelopment of Central does need to fit in so I hope there is close liaison between parties to ensure this is happening.

Cen

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 am

I like the image of the modernised platforms.

But now I'm a bit confused... There doesn't seem to be much similarity between this and the images of the transport interchange. Hopefully they start communicating with each other so we can still get the canopy between the two.

Edit: Now that I've actually read it properly, it does say there will be a "ground level covered link".

Kyle

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 10:36 am

They do seem to be working together - hence the change to the design at the front to make sure it doesn't dig into the space too much between the station and the new BBC building.

I'm curious about the plans for south of the station though, particularly having seen the mid-rise behind the station in the revised artists impression. The surface car park is going, we know that much, so there's a multi-storey car park to come before anything else, and there are plans for 'commercial space' (which is where that buildng comes in I guess).
You'd think, being right next to the station, that a hotel would do well there.

I really hope the government approve the funding for this because it will add to what's being planned at Central Square.

Cen

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 am

I was hoping that we'd eventually get a convention centre there! If the Brains site is cleared (although I actually like it and think it has a certain charm) then there would be a good amount of space for it.

Ash

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't think all the Brains buildings would have to go to make way for a convention centre. The original Victorian buildings are clustered at the northern end of the site and could probably be incorporated into any new development.

Kyle

PostTue Jul 28, 2015 2:47 pm

It would be a fair old price to buy off Brains as they'd need to buy the site at a price that would also cover rebuilding the brewery at a new site elsewhere.

I know that site would be perfect accessibility wise for a conference centre, but personally I'd like it to stay there but be a bit more tourist friendly and have a Dublin/Guiness or Amsterdam/Heineken like tour and visitor centre. I know it's not the original site but a Brains brewery in the city centre is part of the city's history and I'd hate to see it go.

Besides, there's plenty of land at Callaghan Square for a conference centre. Firstly I don't think the city needs the office space there as well as the Network Rail site, Central Square, Capital Quarter and other sites around the city. I just can't see the demand for it at the moment or in the next few years unless we are flooded by new jobs, and besides is Cardiff ever going to get a conference centre when the Celtic Manor is well underway with it's development, is there actually a market for both ?

EDIT: I suppose Brains might not want to stay there for capacity reasons anyway I guess
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum