It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Mr Blue Sky

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 pm

While I agree that Zach's attacks on the Welsh language are unedifying I don't think calling for people to be banned is the right way forward. I've campaigned for Plaid and Cymdeithas for many years so I'm certainly not partisan, but I do think that people who resent the Welsh language - especially if they themselves are Welsh - are entitled to their opinion.

The Welsh language has been under attack from England for centuries. That is indisputable. The medieval Crown and Marcher lords legislated to discriminate and eradicate Welsh. There was the Welsh Not. Gwynfor Evans had to threaten to kill himself to secure S4C - which has been greatly diminished since 2010. The BBC chose Julian Ruck to discuss Cymraeg last night on Newsnight which can only be interpreted as a huge V-sign to the language.

However, for many monoglot English-speaking Welsh people, the Welsh language is emblematic of the ruling class in Wales.
Many senior positions in government and civil society are filled by Welsh-speakers. The "Taffia" and "Crachach" are identified with the Welsh language. I've said before (to almost universal ridicule) that many empires find it convenient to install an ethnic, cultural or linguistic minority to run their client states, as a way of "dividing and ruling".

As distasteful as I find Zach's attitude I do have some sympathy with it and to deny that we live in a very divided nation, where that divide is perpetuated by the vested interests of the Welsh speaking elite, is to turn your back on reality.

Msmurf

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Mathew5 wrote:
Zach wrote:I'm sorry but I couldn't read some of your last post, either my WiFi dropped out or your cat walked across your keyboard. :lol:

Zach - this is exactly why a lot of people on this forum don't want you here and don't take any notice of your posts.

As a Welsh speaker, your attitude towards the Welsh language is appalling and I have made a complaint to the moderator as views such as yours are not welcome here.

Many users of this forum are Welsh speakers, including myself, and your childish, bigoted, and unfunny comments are making this forum less of a pleasant place to be.

There is a difference between criticising Welsh language policy and someone's language. You wouldn't dare say anything on someone else's race, religion or sexuality and someone's language is no different.

Get yourself educated or please leave this forum, or preferably do both.

I find it easier just to ignore him.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Mathew5

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:While I agree that Zach's attacks on the Welsh language are unedifying I don't think calling for people to be banned is the right way forward. I've campaigned for Plaid and Cymdeithas for many years so I'm certainly not partisan, but I do think that people who resent the Welsh language - especially if they themselves are Welsh - are entitled to their opinion.

The Welsh language has been under attack from England for centuries. That is indisputable. The medieval Crown and Marcher lords legislated to discriminate and eradicate Welsh. There was the Welsh Not. Gwynfor Evans had to threaten to kill himself to secure S4C - which has been greatly diminished since 2010. The BBC chose Julian Ruck to discuss Cymraeg last night on Newsnight which can only be interpreted as a huge V-sign to the language.

However, for many monoglot English-speaking Welsh people, the Welsh language is emblematic of the ruling class in Wales.
Many senior positions in government and civil society are filled by Welsh-speakers. The "Taffia" and "Crachach" are identified with the Welsh language. I've said before (to almost universal ridicule) that many empires find it convenient to install an ethnic, cultural or linguistic minority to run their client states, as a way of "dividing and ruling".

As distasteful as I find Zach's attitude I do have some sympathy with it and to deny that we live in a very divided nation, where that divide is perpetuated by the vested interests of the Welsh speaking elite, is to turn your back on reality.

I know all of this, but like I stated, you can criticise Welsh language policy all day long - and I welcome that - but attacking someone's language is plain disgusting. I am not being oversensitive about this, and I agree with you that English-speaking Welsh people need to fight their corner more. But they can do so constructively without attacking the very way that many people in Wales experience life every day.

Msmurf

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 3:21 pm

My Welsh is sadly limited, but I am very supportive of the language as it is one of the unique features of being Welsh. I have some sympathy for those who (rightly or wrongly) feel excluded because they can not speak Welsh, but I have no time at all for anyone who belittles the language (Zach) or tries to ban perople speaking it..(Sports Direct).

It is just a sign of narrow mindedness, bigotry or plain ignorance. Dont ban them - but dont feed their trolling either.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

elgdav

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm first language Welsh and I saw Zach's comments as a joke and I'm still pretty sure they were. Most of his posts are intended as humour. I think this is an over reaction.

Jantra

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:20 pm

I knew a Welsh girl with 36DDs.

It was a ridiculously long name.

Cue the snowflakes...

Mathew5

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 pm

elgdav wrote:I'm first language Welsh and I saw Zach's comments as a joke and I'm still pretty sure they were. Most of his posts are intended as humour. I think this is an over reaction.

Wyt ti wir? Mae jôcs yn dueddol o fod yn ddoniol...

Sarhad, anwybodaeth a diffyg hunanymwybyddiaeth yw ei sylwadau.

Jantra

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Mathew5 wrote:
elgdav wrote:I'm first language Welsh and I saw Zach's comments as a joke and I'm still pretty sure they were. Most of his posts are intended as humour. I think this is an over reaction.

Wyt ti wir? Mae jôcs yn dueddol o fod yn ddoniol...

Sarhad, anwybodaeth a diffyg hunanymwybyddiaeth yw ei sylwadau.

Looks like some of us have the same cat. Maybe it's schroedingers

Jantra

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

FWIW Welsh, when spoken by natives, has a cadence which makes it almost designed for poetry. its quite beautiful listening to first language welsh speakers.

English on the other hand, unlike Welsh with its rules and pure phonetics, is a language designed by the devil herself. When people take the Michael out of the English language, i struggle to take offence. firstly, because its not really worthy of taking offence over, i have real life problems to deal with, and secondly, they are absolutely spot on.

to monoglot English speakers, such as myself, Welsh does seem just a tad incomprehensible at times. why someone would take offence at that is beyond me. I'd say a few of us need to toughen up somewhat. I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of you on here.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 4:56 pm

The official cardiffwalesmap forum view on this (that's me without going all admin red and serious!) is...
bits of all the above really! but in the main if we've got respect for each other and treat people as you would if they were in the same room, I'm sure we can all continue to get on just fine. If not, then this particular debate needs to be discussed elsewhere (on the internet) or start a specific thread on this one. We've had flare ups before, and common sense and some respect for each other and dare I say the forum, has seen them pass by.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum