It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 am


New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Peiriannydd

  • Posts: 559
  • Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 5:55 pm

I don’t think it’s an overreaction, nor do a few of us need to “toughen up somewhat”, as has been suggested.

There have been a few of us who have made the point of saying that Zach’s comments are outright offensive. Yet he persists.

A few of us have also pointed out that we can distinguish between the legitimate concerns and grievances that people have with Welsh language policy and the Welsh language itself. Yet he persists.

I don’t know what his problem is, but he’s clearly made his point that he hates the Welsh language for whatever reason. Maybe the Welsh-speaking kids at school didn’t let him join in with the games? Maybe some Welsh-speaking girl or boy jilted him? Maybe he’s jealous that he can’t speak the language? Maybe he’s just a bigot? Or maybe he’s just an attention seeker who gets a rise out of winding people up with his tired, pathetic little jibes. Who knows and who cares!

What I do know, is that this forum is become a lot less pleasant place to converse with people and I’m less inclined to keep contributing.
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 288
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:I don’t think it’s an overreaction, nor do a few of us need to “toughen up somewhat”, as has been suggested.

There have been a few of us who have made the point of saying that Zach’s comments are outright offensive. Yet he persists.

A few of us have also pointed out that we can distinguish between the legitimate concerns and grievances that people have with Welsh language policy and the Welsh language itself. Yet he persists.

I don’t know what his problem is, but he’s clearly made his point that he hates the Welsh language for whatever reason. Maybe the Welsh-speaking kids at school didn’t let him join in with the games? Maybe some Welsh-speaking girl or boy jilted him? Maybe he’s jealous that he can’t speak the language? Maybe he’s just a bigot? Or maybe he’s just an attention seeker who gets a rise out of winding people up with his tired, pathetic little jibes. Who knows and who cares!

What I do know, is that this forum is become a lot less pleasant place to converse with people and I’m less inclined to keep contributing.


You are lucky that you never read the old forum matey. We had arguments that lasted for months and feuds that went on for years. Me (aka B. Leeding Obvious, Jantard and many other pseudonyms), Cambo (aka Random Comment), Jantra, A.Briton (aka Jantra!), George, Karl, Hypercelt, DJ Leekie, Wizard, and maybe, latterly, Ash had rows that would have blistered your eyeballs. I think I started arguing/contributing in around 2004.

This new forum is as mild as milk in comparison, as we've all aged and mellowed.

(apologies to any regular arguers from the pub.25 forum that I've left off my list of shame)
Offline
User avatar

Msmurf

  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:21 am

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Trying to get this topic back on track.....Periannydd...did you see the diagram I posted a little earlier showing what I think the new Station layout might be?
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Jantra

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 6:38 pm

I wasn't A.Briton.

Just saying
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 288
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Jantra wrote:I wasn't A.Briton.

Just saying


"I'm Brian and so is my wife"
Offline
User avatar

Kyle

  • Posts: 626
  • Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:I don’t think it’s an overreaction, nor do a few of us need to “toughen up somewhat”, as has been suggested.

There have been a few of us who have made the point of saying that Zach’s comments are outright offensive. Yet he persists.

A few of us have also pointed out that we can distinguish between the legitimate concerns and grievances that people have with Welsh language policy and the Welsh language itself. Yet he persists.

I don’t know what his problem is, but he’s clearly made his point that he hates the Welsh language for whatever reason. Maybe the Welsh-speaking kids at school didn’t let him join in with the games? Maybe some Welsh-speaking girl or boy jilted him? Maybe he’s jealous that he can’t speak the language? Maybe he’s just a bigot? Or maybe he’s just an attention seeker who gets a rise out of winding people up with his tired, pathetic little jibes. Who knows and who cares!

What I do know, is that this forum is become a lot less pleasant place to converse with people and I’m less inclined to keep contributing.


You are lucky that you never read the old forum matey. We had arguments that lasted for months and feuds that went on for years. Me (aka B. Leeding Obvious, Jantard and many other pseudonyms), Cambo (aka Random Comment), Jantra, A.Briton (aka Jantra!), George, Karl, Hypercelt, DJ Leekie, Wizard, and maybe, latterly, Ash had rows that would have blistered your eyeballs. I think I started arguing/contributing in around 2004.

This new forum is as mild as milk in comparison, as we've all aged and mellowed.

(apologies to any regular arguers from the pub.25 forum that I've left off my list of shame)


There's a few of those old names gone now sadly, are any of them on here under different names?

I used to love reading all those debates. Urbano and David's (Random Comment) were fucking brilliant.
Differences in opinion like that are fine though and are what make living in a democracy brilliant.

Anything that pisses me off on here I generally just ignore.

I remember discovering this forum over 10 years ago and couldn't believe
I'd found somewhere to talk about geeky development shit instead of boring my wife with it, the poor girl has enough problems being married to an I.T. bloke without listening to all that as well.
Offline

Peiriannydd

  • Posts: 559
  • Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Msmurf wrote:Trying to get this topic back on track.....Periannydd...did you see the diagram I posted a little earlier showing what I think the new Station layout might be?


Yes, let's get back on topic! I'll look now...
Offline

Peiriannydd

  • Posts: 559
  • Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Msmurf wrote:
Msmurf wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:Unless they've taken a serious artistic liberty with the first GGI (which they may have), it suggests that the concourse area is in line with the Brains chimney. If you look on google maps where that chimney is in relation to the existing tracks, then that concourse would be located a quite a distance from the existing entrance to get it to even remotely line up..



...Now with added plan...

https://goo.gl/photos/qhSbJxJK6DHUgPbL7


You're right, if placed that way it would line up. The only fly in the ointment is the "Brains" writing on the chimney. I don't think it would line up with that view, but they could well have distorted that (i.e. rotated the writing) to point out that it was the chimney they were preserving.

I think locating it there would make a lot of sense. It's in a bit of dead space and they could get on with building it without making a mess of the existing South Entrance (although, you'd expect that to go at some point). But if it was me designing the layout, I'd pull it away from the existing lines slightly to allow for the bridge to be widened. That way they could link up with the spur on western side and create another line through the station and hence, provide more (and much needed) platform space.

The plans I've seen so far are for a similar arrangement with the two new stations to the west of the existing buildings. But that doesn't tie up with the CGIs I posted earlier. As I said when I posted them, I don't know how valid they are as they could be from an earlier design. What it does show is that there is work going on behind the scenes and I only hope the south redevelopement is give a lot more thought (with regards to integriting with other developments) than the north side with the bus station.
Offline

Peiriannydd

  • Posts: 559
  • Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:50 pm

There's another advantage to placing the new stations on the east side as show:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... Nidnd6ZGVn

They can use the existing underpass (the one they sometimes open on match days) that goes under the existing platforms. That would say them a lot of trouble of building an overpass/bridge which I think would destroy the character of the station.
Offline

Mr Blue Sky

  • Posts: 288
  • Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: New Cardiff Central rail station revealed

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Kyle wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Peiriannydd wrote:I don’t think it’s an overreaction, nor do a few of us need to “toughen up somewhat”, as has been suggested.

There have been a few of us who have made the point of saying that Zach’s comments are outright offensive. Yet he persists.

A few of us have also pointed out that we can distinguish between the legitimate concerns and grievances that people have with Welsh language policy and the Welsh language itself. Yet he persists.

I don’t know what his problem is, but he’s clearly made his point that he hates the Welsh language for whatever reason. Maybe the Welsh-speaking kids at school didn’t let him join in with the games? Maybe some Welsh-speaking girl or boy jilted him? Maybe he’s jealous that he can’t speak the language? Maybe he’s just a bigot? Or maybe he’s just an attention seeker who gets a rise out of winding people up with his tired, pathetic little jibes. Who knows and who cares!

What I do know, is that this forum is become a lot less pleasant place to converse with people and I’m less inclined to keep contributing.


You are lucky that you never read the old forum matey. We had arguments that lasted for months and feuds that went on for years. Me (aka B. Leeding Obvious, Jantard and many other pseudonyms), Cambo (aka Random Comment), Jantra, A.Briton (aka Jantra!), George, Karl, Hypercelt, DJ Leekie, Wizard, and maybe, latterly, Ash had rows that would have blistered your eyeballs. I think I started arguing/contributing in around 2004.

This new forum is as mild as milk in comparison, as we've all aged and mellowed.

(apologies to any regular arguers from the pub.25 forum that I've left off my list of shame)


There's a few of those old names gone now sadly, are any of them on here under different names?

I used to love reading all those debates. Urbano and David's (Random Comment) were fucking brilliant.
Differences in opinion like that are fine though and are what make living in a democracy brilliant.

Anything that pisses me off on here I generally just ignore.

I remember discovering this forum over 10 years ago and couldn't believe
I'd found somewhere to talk about geeky development shit instead of boring my wife with it, the poor girl has enough problems being married to an I.T. bloke without listening to all that as well.


Big shout out to Urbano. Fair play to Cambo too as he holds his own and has done from a very "fresh" age.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests